Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lifelines and a deck sweeper
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NautiC25
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/17/2012 :  14:24:06  Show Profile
I'm going to overhaul my lifelines. The factory attachment to the pulpit is on the top corner causing the sail to bend and chaffing. I can either run the lifeline end to the bottom of the front vertical pulpit pole like the earlier models, or the rear vertical pole. If I run the lifeline end to the rear vertical pole, you get less lifeline up front but more room for the sail. If I run it to the front pole, the lifeline will be approx. 6" off the deck where the sail runs beside the pulpit.
For those with the factory lifelines tapering down low, does your 150 still hit it?

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  18:16:30  Show Profile
It helps but you hit the pulpit. That is what the black marks come from.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  18:50:33  Show Profile
I think I remember seeing your lines attached to the lower pulpit right? And does your sail hit it? I know the pulpit will still be in the way sometimes, but not very often.

I'm moving the boat soon, so I plan to see it more often and to clean things up. :) And I'm also looking to improve performance.

Edited by - NautiC25 on 05/17/2012 18:52:13
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  19:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
This is the best photo I have to show how it looks. Kid optional.

http://miatadude.com/sga/Cup2010/Day2/content/DSC_0835_large.html
http://miatadude.com/sga/Cup2010/Day2/content/DSC_0837_large.html

Edited by - Prospector on 05/17/2012 19:27:06
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  19:44:56  Show Profile
Thanks for the pics. It looks like, because the forward tubes are more towards the center than the rear ones, it may be better to attach the lines to the fronts. The sail seems to sit on the outside of the lifeline.

I suppose I could try both since I'm using the bolt on eyelet and see which one works better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  20:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Catalina attached them to the bottom of the forward tubes IIRC. I could go check, but its bed time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  20:05:20  Show Profile
You are correct. I've seen close up pics mounted there. But there's not many action shots like what you posted with a big sail trimmed behind the pulpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  20:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
We will sheet inside if conditions are right for it, but its a bit of a trick to get things set up right. You are further ahead to keep things outside the lifelines.

Unless of course a Tanzer 22 is making you look bad and you really have to find an extra 2° to outpoint him.

Edited by - Prospector on 05/17/2012 20:15:09
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2012 :  21:25:08  Show Profile
You can see in this picture that on my '84, the lifelines go to the bottom of the forward post on the bow pulpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2012 :  04:53:05  Show Profile
Yes, and you can also see where the lifeline is approx. 6-8" above the deck when it crosses the rear of the pulpit. That's why I thought it would be better to pull the mounting point back/lower.

Edited by - NautiC25 on 05/18/2012 04:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2012 :  06:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Aha - now I see your thinking.

That has never been a problem for us. Were the lifeline attached there, I would use a prodigious amount of rigging tape to ensure that the hardware for the lifeline didn't snag/tear the sail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2012 :  06:43:45  Show Profile
Hmm, you're right, that could cause problems. A solution to that would be to drill through the tube so that the lifeline ran through it, then secure it on the backside. I'm not sure how I'd do it, or if I'm willing to do permanent damage to the pulpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2012 :  12:37:27  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Why not put a 1' section of line on the tack of your sail and get it up off the deck so it'll clear the lines? That's what I did. Better visibility too. Here's a pic where you can see how well it works. By the way that's [url="http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=2911"]JohnP[/url] when I took him sailing a couple years ago.

Edited by - DaveR on 05/18/2012 12:37:50
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2012 :  15:38:52  Show Profile
I plan to start racing soon. Derek got me hooked on it. Lol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2012 :  21:03:47  Show Profile
I think Dave's suggestion would be the easiest. You could probably get by with a 6" - 8" tack line and the sail would still be a deck sweeper. OR you could just release the pelican hooks at the back while racing and let the lines go limp up front!

I'm glad you brought up this subject. I was looking at my life lines this morning and thinking about moving them down to the lower mounting spot so my 150% would have better sail shape and not rub on the life line. With my roller furling 150% that would allow the sail to easily clear the life line.

My question is what is the best way to lengthen the life line so it will reach the lower attach point. Should I just have them make up short sections with the appropriate ends or should I replace the entire lines?

Edited by - GaryB on 05/19/2012 21:04:21
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  07:43:35  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Am I wrong in thinking that generally you're not missing any/much wind to speak of at deck level and that a foot up wouldn't hurt performance?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  07:59:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />Am I wrong in thinking that generally you're not missing any/much wind to speak of at deck level and that a foot up wouldn't hurt performance?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I only mentioned 6" - 8" tack line in case he's going to be a hardcore racer wanting every oz. of speed.

Having the sail come down to the deck traps the wind at the bottom of the sail and I think works similar to a winglet on an airplane. It would reduce or eliminate the vortex coming off the lower aft end of the sail where the low pressure airflow coming of the foreside of the sail is trying to meet the high presure airflow on the backside of the sail. I never thought about it until I was typing this but it seems like having a deck sweeper would increase the tendency for the bow to be pushed to leeward which if I'm thinking correctly could help reduce weather helm?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  11:45:53  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Having the sail come down to the deck traps the wind at the bottom of the sail and I think works similar to a winglet on an airplane. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OK, that makes sense, I get it

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  14:59:28  Show Profile
I added attachment points to my aft pulpit legs. I apologize for the poor focus. If you get new lifelines you can design in several things. I made a double gate to the cockpit, a front or aft pelican hook.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  16:43:32  Show Profile
Frank, where did you get the rail adapter? They have one at my WM, but it's $11 and looks cheap.
EDIT: n/m, I found Franks fitting at WM for $43.

I going to use the adapter to see which position I like it to be in. If I really like one spot, then I may just have a loop welded on.

I walked the docks today and got several different ideas for backstay adjusters. Really like one idea.

Edited by - NautiC25 on 05/20/2012 16:50:39
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  19:15:19  Show Profile
Sweet! If I use the rear pulpit leg I can get by with just shortening my current lifeline.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  19:51:09  Show Profile
I believe you can just shorten the line to mount it to the lower rear leg. I don't think you would have to buy a longer line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2012 :  20:01:49  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NautiC25</i>
<br />I believe you can just shorten the line to mount it to the lower rear leg. I don't think you would have to buy a longer line.
I would have to lengthen it if I wanted to go to the lower welded attach points on the front legs but after looking at Frank's pictures I'll probably go that route.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2012 :  07:41:36  Show Profile
I buy those rail clamps on ebay, $15 rings a bell.

Actually $9.99 Search
Stainless Steel Rail Mount Hinge 1"

Edited by - pastmember on 05/21/2012 07:46:01
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2012 :  08:11:41  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />I buy those rail clamps on ebay, $15 rings a bell.

Actually $9.99 Search
Stainless Steel Rail Mount Hinge 1"
Found em. Thanks!! Those are a killer deal and much nicer than WM's.
I've actually ordered a bunch of parts from that guy too.

Edited by - NautiC25 on 05/21/2012 08:12:07
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2012 :  08:29:50  Show Profile
Those are what I used to store my bimini behind my backstay too. I bet I have bought 10 over the years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page