Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Stern Mast Crutch idea?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scooter
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/29/2004 :  00:07:31  Show Profile
I've been searching this forum for mast stepping or raising etc... and see many good ideas but I haven't been able to find what I want for a mast crutch on the stern. The pics I see show the stepping system but couldn't find good pics of the stern crutches. I want to avoid using the gudgeons (sp?) if at all possible. I built a frame for my 22 O'Day. It had a roller on top that mounted on the 4 cleats around the cockpit using U-bolts (rubber coated). This put all the stress on something designed for stress. It also "couldn't" move side to side. It was solid.

I should be picking up my C25 next week. It's never been trailered so it has none of the "stuff" for trailering. I'll likely have to build it at the yard (at least a temporary one). I don't want the weight on the gelcoat of the cockpit if I can help it either.

What are others using out there (besides the gudgeons) that hasn't cracked the gelcoat? It looks like you need 2 or one that adjusts. One (higher) for raising and one lower for trailering.

Any links or pics? If not, any thoughts to using the bow and stern rails as a temp? As long as I can support the center of the mast and furling.

I could just strap it to some appliance dollies and let it fishtail behind the boat while towing.

Scooter
C25 '89 SR/WK #5878 "Square Knot"
Vandemere NC.

Edited by - on

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  00:50:43  Show Profile
While it will not be pretty, It WILL get you home. When I picked mine up, I lamented over the same issue. I wound up bringing blankets to the boat. I rested the back on the stern pulpit. The center rested on the coachtop(blankets). The front hung under the bow-pulpit with ropes. The furler drum will need a support and a 2x4 or boat hook will do the trick. Splint that on like a broken bone.
The a-frame is nice to have but a strong helper is almost as good. Just remember, once the mast is past 45 deg, the fwd line will not hold it up. I would make the a-frame at home and work out all the problems trying to raise the rig, not lowering. The only real surprise to me was making the step down into the cockpit at the critical 45 deg point. If you can round up a 3rd person you will be having it easy.
Bring bag of zip ties and zip everything. Or go to west marine to buy all the stuff you left on the HWY.
Bring ratchet straps. A big one for the stern. Small ones for the rig.
Get a 2-5/16 ball if needed. And the right hitch plug if reverse lockout is used ($20) for the 5 pin connector.

Please excuse the rant. I was reliving a recent experience!

Tom.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  03:09:17  Show Profile
Back to the first part of your question. I saw the set up in catalina direct for the stern crutch. I went to OHS and got some square tubing and had my neighbor weld it up for me after I cut most of the stuff. We put a roller on top and it hooks on the rudder gudgeons (your spelling looks cool to me). He told be I should have got the metal at a welder supply place, it would have been cheeper. Also The stuff at OSH is a little light weight, I think a little thicker tubing would have been better. When raising the mast I have to lash the extended top to cleats on the cabin top to keep it from bending too far back.
I use it for transport of the mast too. It stays very solid sans shaking etc. A friend made a similar thing for his ODay 25, but he uses a crutch that hooks on the transom and ties to the rail for trailering support.
Another friend got the one from catalina direct. This guy also made his own trailer so he knows how to weld. His view on it was that it was cheep enough that it wasn't worth it to him to make it himself and perhaps not work as well as the real thing.
In regards to transporting the mast, I transport and store mine with the crutch in the back and slung under the bow pulpit. No center support. When at home I raise the rear about 3 feet to give me more room in the cockpit, this would negeate any center support.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  09:54:57  Show Profile
" It looks like you need 2 or one that adjusts. One (higher) for raising and one lower for trailering."

Build a telescoping one like the "Mast-Up" that used to be available. It's simply two pieces of tubing, smaller one slides inside the outer... holes are drilled in them for adjustment via inserting a hitch pin. Goes down low for transport... way up for the mast raising process.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pics. Quick and simple to build.

I've also added a mast raising 'tower' on the front of my EZ-Loader trailer, similar to the one Catalina uses on the 250's. It's also very easy and cheap to add. In combination with the mast-up, you can raise the mast by yourself using one of the main winches as an assist. Probably should write up an article on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gary B.
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
969 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  13:48:45  Show Profile
Scooter,

Not sure why you're reluctant to use the mast-up, or homemade version, on the gudgeons....I have used that system for my boat since 1983 with no issues...although I replaced the gudgeons with the beefed up ones last year. It is a system that has proven itself. I loan mine all the time, and others have used it for a model to have their own welded up.....

I understand why you might be nervous about it on the surface, but it has seemed to work well for lots of folks for a long time....

Gary B.
s/v Encore! #685 SK/SR

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  21:08:07  Show Profile
I may re-visit the gudgeons. I need to see if mine are "beefed" up. Does anybody know if the '89 C25s have beefed up gudgeons "standard" or must they be done after the sale?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2004 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2004 :  00:31:02  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scooter</i>
<br />I may re-visit the gudgeons. I need to see if mine are "beefed" up. Does anybody know if the '89 C25s have beefed up gudgeons "standard" or must they be done after the sale?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't think the heavy duty gudgeons were ever "standard"; I am pretty sure they were not developed until after the C-25 ceased production. They are a retrofit kit, like the stainless spreader socket kit you can buy to replace the old cast aluminum sockets. Anyone know what the gudgeon kit costs from CD? I may buy one since the original gudgeon bushings on my boat are pretty worn and allowing the rudder pintles a lot of freeplay.

I have never liked the idea of using the gudgeons to suuport a mast crutch, especially during mast raising/lowering. If you were to drop the mast hard onto the crutch, or get it snagged while sliding the mast in the roller, I think it would be too easy to damage the upper gudgeon or the fiberglass under it. After all, the OEM gudgeons are not made of really thick, beefy metal. It doesn't look to me like it would take much excess force to bend them.

Edited by - lcharlot on 08/30/2004 00:37:29
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2004 :  01:44:44  Show Profile
Here is a link to a post I made a long time ago with 8 X 10 color glossies, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining whats going on.
http://www.catalina25-250.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true& TOPIC_ID=1660& SearchTerms=mast,raise,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

frich
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
418 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2004 :  12:28:24  Show Profile  Visit frich's Homepage
Matt

I made my apparatus out of Sch 40 PVC cost less than $10. I did post pictures a while back, if you need one I will repost it.

Basically it is just some tees cut so the slip over the stern rail, and elbows. I then had some rope tying it to the stern cleats

Frank R
84 C25 SK

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

LeighMarie
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2004 :  20:29:46  Show Profile
I made a mast crutch out of 2x4's and a roller at the top and it works slicker than slick. I put it in the aft part of the cockpit, use a line attached to an eye up on top and cleated off to the 2 cleats by the winches and it works great. It's 8 feet and I just hoist the mast up onto it before using the A-frame up front and it's wonderful. I thought about trying to use the gudgeons, but this was easier. Don't make it harder than you have to!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Laux
Captain

Members Avatar

318 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2004 :  20:54:58  Show Profile
I made our aft support for raising the mast from a piece of 1 x 6 (about) with stiffeners to the sides (about 1 x 2 1/2) and a roller on top. The whole mess sits on the stern rail and traveler and is held in place by plywood clips like a clothes pin. The roller is probably about 5 feet above the cockpit seats, as high as is easy to put the mast up on it. This winter I welded a cross bar into the bow pulpit to move the light back out of harms way and to act as the turning block for the winch strap. Last piece of the kit is a light line from one life line to the other at the back of the cabin. This holds the halyards and stays up out of the way of getting caught on stuff. Donna cranks the trailer winch and I guide the mast and watch for duck ups. No other gear or rigging required. Time from mast tied down to up maybe 10 min. Dave

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2004 :  00:54:12  Show Profile
I wanted to have a mast crutch that would used with the rudder in place so the design was a military aluminum tent pole that could be adjusted to a height as high as comfortable to set the mast in before lift. Tall rig to lift by myself requires a gin pole which is the spinaker pole, have helped friends rig the pole from the boom on their boats. There'e more but the crutch sets on traveler, held by lines of the main sheet block, and is through a guide that is bolted to the horseshoe buoy bracket on the stern pulpit. I do tie two safey lines from the roller on the crutch top back to the jib sheet cleats for the back pressure when rolling the mast back to bolt the base to the mast step. There is a bridle that supports the gin pole. Royce is a very good guide for this method. Have used this method since 79 and have lifted and lowered mast by myself many times but it's better with a partner when a shroud catches or the turnbuckel is flopped the wrong way. The boat is launched with the mast down and after moving it to a slip is where the mast is raised. San Juan sailing is why this method so the trailer doesn't have to go into the salt water. C25 #1490.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2004 :  04:06:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattL</i>
<br />...27 8 X 10 color glossies, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My word! ANOTHER refugee from the Group "W" bench!

"Officer O'B, I cannot tell a lie, i PUT that envelope under that garbage!"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2004 :  09:14:56  Show Profile
And they all moved away from me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page