Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Leaking cockpit drains
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WGriswold
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/03/2004 :  15:56:41  Show Profile
I have finally traced down the leak in the port locker of my C25. This spring there was evidence of at least several gallons of dirty water that had accumulated in the locker and overflowed into the bilge. Consequently there was mildew in the locker and elsewhere. After cleaning everything up I went to find the leak. Many buckets of water later I had found no leaks among all the usual suspects. So naturally, I opened a beer and sat back to rest and think. I realized that dirty water probably was not coming in through a leaky fitting, but there was a lot of dirt on the floor of the cockpit over the winter and a leak through the drain (scupper?) would explain everything. I plugged the drains and added two buckets of water and found the leak. Now what? Is there any way to get bedding caulk behind the brass drain shoulders where they meet the fiberglass of the transom? Has anyone had success with applying caulk around the drains on the outside?

As always thanks for any help you can give me.

Wait Griswold
C25 (1986) Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited by - on

Douglas
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1595 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  20:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Douglas's Homepage
I see no one has jumped in and ansured this post so here we go. You can replace the corroded tubes with what ever you find that fits the same size hole. PVC is a good choice and wont corrode. Seal them in place with 3M 4200 or Life caulk. You can also leave the old ones in place and seal them with white caulk. Best of luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  21:29:58  Show Profile
I haven't stuck my head back there in a long time, but isn't there a small hose connecting the cockpit drains to the fittings on the hull?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:00:45  Show Profile
Don: Wait's vintage (and mine) have drains through the transom, with flared brass tubes.

Wait: The most likely source is at the edge of the brass tube at the inside of the transom, by the cockpit sole. I'd suggest some flowable silicone such as Capt. Tolley's Kreeping Crack Cure. (Really.) When everything's dry, let a little of that go where the water has been going--primarily around the lower part of the inside flange. A little caulk on the fingertip can help, but since it stays on the surface, it won't last very long.

I thought about putting PVC pipes in the holes, but suspect they would raise the waterline of the drain by just enough to be not very satisfactory.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 09/03/2004 22:01:55
Go to Top of Page

oldsalt
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
578 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:01:53  Show Profile
I haven't experienced this problem yet but since my boat is an '83 it's only a matter of time. One possible repair I've been toying around with is to remove both of the the rolled tubes and replace them with two threaded marelon through hull fittings (without seacocks). A threaded flange in the cockpit would need to be cut to shape out of round in order that they fit against the groove in the cockpit floor so the through hulls would need to be screwed in from the transom side while the flattened flanges, being imobile would keep the whole thing from spinning. Naturally sealant would be applied to both the transom and cockpit flanges and the threaded marelon would be trimmed to fit flush.

I think.

Edited by - oldsalt on 09/03/2004 22:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:06:15  Show Profile
Mark: I just remembered that I saw a Marelon (or other plastic) flange with a flat, tapered side that appeared to be just for that purpose--at a West store. You'd probably have to expand the diameter of the holes in the transom so the tube is low enough. Now you've got me thinking...

PS: It might be the "Marine East L-Head, Barbed" fitting--"Ideal for draining compartments."

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 09/03/2004 22:12:02
Go to Top of Page

oldsalt
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
578 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:20:53  Show Profile
Dave, I'm working on another invention which would allow two people to talk to each other over long distances by using handsets connected by a system of wires. When one individual calls another, a bell will ring to alert the recipient that someone wants to contact them.

I'm planning on calling it the talkaphone but please keep it under your hat since I haven't worked out all the details nor have I applied for patent protection.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Laux
Captain

Members Avatar

318 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2004 :  22:57:37  Show Profile
Heres how you fix the problem for sure. What you are dealing with is three layers of GRP and one layer of plywood (at least on my 1987 boat) from the inside of the cockpit to the outside of the transom. None of them are thick enough to be truly ridgid. Thats why the brass tubes leak. Also they are about 1/2 inch above the sole which means that there is always water standing to corrode the tubes. The fix is simple. Take a piece of glass cloth about 8 inches wide and put it around a pipe or tube of appropriate size to be a cockpit drain, I used 1 1/2 inch pipe, wrap about three layers with waxed paper between the first layer ofBeen glass and the pipe. Wet it out with epoxy. Let cure. Cut into two pieces 4 inches long. Measure OD and find or borrow a hole saw that size plus about 1/8. Cut old tubes out by tapping a piece of wood into them to center the hole saw. Cut low enough to remove the 1/2 inch water trap. Mix epoxy and coloidal silica and putty the tubes neatly into place. Let cure. Trim tubes to length and paint to protect the resin from sun.
If I can figure out how to put pictures on here I will show you the result. Been tight and dry for three years. Dave

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2004 :  10:04:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br />Don: Wait's vintage (and mine) have drains through the transom, with flared brass tubes.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oops!...Nevermind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page