Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 to fix or not to fix: help a new sailor out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AlliAaron6312
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2012 :  11:43:06  Show Profile
Great advice everyone. I realize that by the ins company letting us keep it that we now have to haul out, but I think we will still come out ahead whether we have it towed to a yard and part it out or keep it for parts for a future C25, or just sell it as is to someone that will haul it away. Just ordered Don Casey's book and will get it hauled out and at the very least have the repairs quoted by a shop and possibly a survey. But since this is our first sailboat, I don't really know if we want to take on the huge project of fixing the boat when we can just buy another one...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2012 :  13:52:05  Show Profile
As an aside, a new tiller is under $100

I got this one and it's great, you do have to drill your own holes though but it is finished.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=474

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2012 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I would suggest to drill the holes a little over sized than the bolts, fill the holes with epoxy and once cured, re-drill the bolt size hole again.
It will seal the wood from water penetration. I did it on mine this year because the tiller gets delaminated and wood separated just in the place where are the bolts. My 2 cents as you say :-)

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 09/08/2012 01:30:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page