Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Raising - with your truck
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waterbaby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/03/2012 :  16:43:09  Show Profile
We spent most of the weekend getting Sunshine launched and docked in her new home. Lots of things went right and as usual lots of things went wrong. The biggest issue we had was getting the mast raised. We had rigged a 2x4 post attached to our trailer with a winch and pully thinking that we could use one of the halyards and the winch to raise the mast. It might have worked fine if the 2x4 hadn't snapped in half. Mere inches from my face! I'm feeling really lucky right now! When I think about what would have happened if it had snapped with the mast half way up I get ill. We should have used a steel post - but that's another story.

The marina at the lake doesn't have any mast raising equipment so we were on our own. I started calling around trying to find a crane but the marina called and said they were sending someone down to help us. Long story short we ended up tying a rope around the mast above the spreaders the other end was tied to the hooks under the bumper on the front of our pickup truck. While I inched the truck backwards hubby and our helper stabilized and guided the mast into place. Once it was up hubby fastened the furler to the front and tightened all of the stays.

I've spent a lot of time looking at various mast raising systems but had never seen this. It was crazy - I was shaking like a leaf the whole time because I was certain we were going to have another disaster. But it worked and hubby said it went very easy.

Anyway I just wanted to add this to the collection of ways to raise a mast.

1986 TR/SK #5250 Sunshine

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  17:32:27  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Wow, that sounds like a disaster closely avoided! Glad you guys are OK and no damage to the boat.

How was the 2x4 rigged? Did you use it like a king post (straight up with the line over the top)? That's what I'm envisioning when reading your description.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:03:42  Show Profile
The PO of Knot So Fast had constructed a Gin Pole arrangement that worked fairly well. The 2x4 rig with a light trailer winch on it extends perpendicular out from the mast. First you pin the mast in the step, then the line from the trailer winch is led through a block on the end of the 2x4 to the two bow cleats to spread the load. I used the jib halyard fixed to the end of the 2x4. We have the stern end up on a trailer bow roller affixed to the end of anothe 2x4 that is bracketed to the rudder gudgeons with a 3/8" bolt. The two brackets on the roller rig are 19" spacing to match the gudgeon spacing. With the roller rig, you already start with a slight (15 degree or so) and it requires a little manual effort until you reach 45 degrees or so then the winch does it all. My only mistake is positioning the gin pole too low on the mast. Next time I'll move it about 2 more feet aft for more leverage. You can't position it too high or you will have trouble removing it. Mine uses racheting straps to attach it. I'm also going to enlarge the foot of the rig to spread the load on the mast surface. I'm sure there are some plans online.

Good luck,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:24:22  Show Profile
I watch the 2X4's flex on my A-frame at the beginning of the lift when load is highest and wouldn't attempt a lift with one 2X4.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

putzmeister
Navigator

Members Avatar

100 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:27:03  Show Profile
Tall rig masts are not only 2' taller than a standard rig - but also a thicker extrusion = more weight and more force on all related hardware.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

waterbaby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2012 :  17:36:03  Show Profile
We were very lucky - I still can't believe how lucky.

I don't know what a king post is - but here's the video where we got the original idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSnwOlAawww

They used a steel post, and bridles which we didn't have. I'm kicking myself because I knew better than that and should have insisted on having the right equipment. I think the idea is good but we needed to do it exactly like they did it. Well except I didn't like putting that kind of pressure on the halyard. I think a rope above the spreaders is better - at least for our tall rig. Hopefully it'll be awhile before we have to bring the mast down but I think we'll just use the truck and at least two people guiding the mast if we have to do it again. I just felt safer that way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page