Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ideas on how to secure furler and mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frenchman
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/01/2012 :  19:42:55  Show Profile
Hello all! Had a couple questions for you.

Just got a new to me 85 SR/FK. I'm new to sailing and learning a lot through this site and plan to join soon. My boat came with some bow damage. The PO fixed it but did a really poor job on the glass work. The bow got crushed 4" down from the deck and most of the surrounding area. The PO replaced the portion of the top deck up to the anchor locker and replaced the forstay attachment with a chain plate that extends down the bow.

I started by grinding and cleaning out the inside and laying up mat with four layers of bias ply. I extended the bias down the length of the bow so all through bolt anchors for the chain stay will have 4" of solid backing to bolt through. I also plan on installing backing plates.

Now that that's done I need to start on the outside but in order to do that I need to remove the chain plate and furler to access the area. My questions are, what is the best way to secure the furler and do I need to secure the mast? If I need to secure the mast what is the best method? Thanks for the input!

Edited by - on

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2012 :  20:13:09  Show Profile
Glad I'm not doing this, because I'd just go ahead with my crazy ideas without humbling asking the forum. Well actually, I'd disassemble my roller furler first to skip the crazy second idea. First, temporary bow stem fitting to attach the jib halyard forward of at least the forward lower shrouds, for support. Strap webbing around hull then connect this to the jib halyard?
Second, secure the forestay with the heavy furling equipment attached. Mast fasten a whisker-pole then both center the pole and keep it horizontal with some rolling hitches. The crazy part, clip the pole end somewhere on the turnbuckle, disconnect, and hope the pole takes the compressive load.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2012 :  04:28:28  Show Profile
When I step the mast I run a tie strap from the whisker pole ring on the mast forward. If the bow pulpit is in place use it, set the furler on it and tie it off, also the two cleats on the bow can be used. Are the forward shrouds in place? It doesn’t take much to hold the mast up. I am assuming you are not in the water.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4005 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2012 :  06:23:10  Show Profile
Use the main halyard or jib halyard and tie it to the bow pulpit. This will take the place of the forstay/furler in supporting the mast. Disconnect the furler at the chain plate and move it to the side.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5267 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2012 :  07:57:35  Show Profile
If the jib and main halyards are running over the sheaves, then they cannot be used to secure the mast. If a backward force is applied to the mast the halyard, having freedom to roll over the sheave, it will not hold the mast tightly in place. Instead tie BOTH ends of the halyard to the temporary forward chainplate or tie point to prevent the halyard from rolling over the sheave.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frenchman
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2012 :  17:34:02  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great info!! Yes I'm out of the water and my forward shrouds are in place. I removed the bow pulpit to fix damage to the forward stanchions which I assume happened when the bow got crushed. I don't have any cleats on the forward bow save for one that the PO put right behind the furler. I'll need to remove that to continue with the glass work.

What about if I ran a webbing loop around the hull and secured it to the keel. Then I can run a strap from the whisker pole loop to the webbing loop. Also do you think I could just disconnect the furler and secure it to the webbing loop as well?

Thanks again for the insight!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2012 :  19:51:56  Show Profile
I secure one end of the halyard to a cleat on the mast and the other end forward. That works as well as securing both ends forward, but it must be <u>on the mast</u>. If you are on a trailer, secure to the winch post. Lowering the mast is a simple, safe approach that shouldn't take much longer than securing the mast.

Edited by - Dave5041 on 09/02/2012 19:55:57
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2012 :  06:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hewebb</i>
<br />When I step the mast I run a tie strap from the whisker pole ring on the mast forward. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We used to do something similar to this (tie off to teh ring for the whisker pole) until the one day when the ring slid up its track and the mast accellerated downwards at a rate of about 9.8 m/s/s

Now we cleat off to one of the horn cleats at the base of the mast instead.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page