Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Anyone ever add on a pop top?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C25PYLOT
1st Mate

Member Avatar

69 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/04/2012 :  10:26:12  Show Profile  Visit C25PYLOT's Homepage
Hope this isnt too crazy a question:
Just curious if anyone has ever added on a pop top unit to a non pop top C-25?
Or if it is even possible??? I loved the feature on my C-22 and wanted it on a C-25 but
found a non pop top that I fell in love with.

Edited by - on

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:35:44  Show Profile
That would be pretty major surgery. If you could find the pop-top lid from a parted out/dead C-25 to move over it would be a little bit easier. However the deck of our C-25 is reinforced where the pop-top supports are located, and a normal C-25 wouldn't have that. So it wouldn't just be cutting out a U-shaped hole and bolting in a new lid.

I have to say that I don't use the pop-top as much as I thought I would. Disconnecting the boom vang to raise it gets old, and here in Seattle it's often getting chilly by evening when I'd want the extra head clearance anyway. Finally it doesn't give me extra clearance over the galley, and that is where I do most of my standing in the cabin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  10:07:03  Show Profile
I love having a poptop, but buying a boat with one would probably be cheaper than converting. As mentioned, it isn't just cutting a hole and sticking it on. Fabricating the channel and lip that supports the top when down would be an engineering feat after the fact.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CarbonSink62
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
208 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  12:06:01  Show Profile
Funny world; while researching the C25 and deciding that it was the boat for me (I was in my second Catalina Capri 18 at the time) I loved everything except the pop-top.

When I got to the top of the ladder and saw that #2818 didn't have one, that's when I fell in love. I think you are only the fourth or fifth boat I've heard of that doesn't have one.

I call it a 'hard top'. I'm sure the pop-top is a handy feature, I just don't like the way it looks.

Ken

Alex - I would say that the pop-top is normal and my boat is the odd one.

Edited by - CarbonSink62 on 09/05/2012 12:09:12
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  20:03:02  Show Profile
My boat neighbor has a C25 pop-top and no vang. He sails all the time with his pop-top up and didn't even know he was missing a vang. As you might guess, the winds he typically sails in are light.

We typically leave our pop-top down unless at dock so we can use our vang. And sometimes at dock we don't even bother popping it. We have started wedging some 4"x4" blocks in under it to get a little extra head room without being concerned about the thing slamming down.

I imagine you could cut some blocks with grooves to securely wedge beneath it to get a little extra head room while sailing and still get to use the vang.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  20:46:34  Show Profile
there are some email strings on the various blocks to keep it raised several inches while sailing

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2012 :  06:33:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sam001</i>
<br />there are some email strings on the various blocks to keep it raised several inches while sailing
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">A knock down with the top up means the boat sinks. Ya pays your money, ya takes your chances.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page