Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Move the Electrical Panel ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomh
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/29/2012 :  05:14:15  Show Profile
I would like to replace the electrical panel with one that includes amp meters and a few more circuits. While I'm doing this I would also like to move it from behind the sink to somewhere more convenient and include the stereo. Thought about building a small panel and mounting it somewhere on the side.

Are there any better locations?

Tom

1978 C25 "Karma" #790
Toledo Beach Marina
LaSalle, Michigan

Edited by - on

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5268 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2012 :  19:04:43  Show Profile
You could mount it against and under the starboard settee, but you might bump the switches as you walk by. Another place might be in the quarterberth or behind the companionway ladder somewhere. You might try in front of the galley sink over the drawers. But the beauty of having it above the galley sink is you can reach in from the cockpit and flip on a light and the area behind the panel opens into the fender locker (dumpster) where you have enough room to adjust and route wires and cables.
Also, if you move the panel, you'd have to replace the teak plywood on the back of the sink.
You might be able to fabricate a smaller panel with tiny pushbutton switches and concealed thermal circuit breakers instead of large toggle switches and panel-mounted fuses. I could see something around 3"x5" might do the trick.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9025 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2012 :  19:56:32  Show Profile
Look at the Tech Tips under C-25s Home Improvement, Magic Dragon, and Not Yet. You'll see some impressive variations.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2012 :  00:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Custom panel on my boat

Bellow is the radio and right thingy is the bilge pump switch

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 08/30/2012 00:26:11
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5268 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2012 :  20:34:02  Show Profile
Tomas -
Nice job! I like the placement beside the stove and all-in-one functionality. Adding the audio system to the setup was a stroke of brilliance. How did you fill the hole left by the original panel behind the galley sink? Also, did you extend the panel wiring by adding crimp connections and adding new cables or did you completely remove all the wires and create a completely new wiring harness?
Very elegant!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2012 :  00:29:28  Show Profile
I've considered the move, mainly because I worry about rocker switches that sit in the fuel locker. In order of increasing effort: First, I'd consider replacing switches with ignition protected varieties. Second, I could place a custom clamshell over the panel back. Third, I'd take example from center console runabouts and mount a waterproof panel on the aft-facing cockpit bulkhead on the starboard side (dreaming of also installing a outboard only 5 spoke stainless ships wheel, starter switch with kill lanyard, and parallel throttle shift levers).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2012 :  00:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Original panel behind the sink was completely replaced by a new one without any holes just shore power AC outlet on the right side.

Wiring was extended via terminal block located behind the panel in the place of original switch panel.

All of this wood work was done by PO respectively yacht service where he was winterizing, but wiring needs to be cleaned up a bit. I'm still finding some disconnected cables but have no time for it right now :-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2012 :  06:10:18  Show Profile
I put one in front of the sink on the face of the fiberglass cabinet. It was an easy run to the batteries and there is a lot of dead space around the hull bottom for Buss bars and such.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2012 :  07:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I ran with Frank's idea. The last photo in this blog post shows the complete setup. I replaced the existing switch panel with a new one for my auxiliary circuits, and installed an old Catalina panel in front of the sink. My panel includes stereo, switch panel, and 2 cigarette outlets.

http://littleboatiris.blogspot.ca/2012/03/success-in-stereo.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4285 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  19:35:47  Show Profile
I thought about installing a receptacle next to my old panel (or in one of the coaming boxes) and wiring up a wired remote that I could use to operate the nav lights from the cockpit. When done, just detach the wired remote and store below.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page