Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Max Bimini Height (Coaming Mount, SR)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2012 :  14:06:05  Show Profile
I purchased a used bimini on Craigslist. It is taller than I need, but is the correct width and essentially the correct length. I hope to start on a new cover for it in the next few weeks. From what I can tell, it looks like it should be a fairly straightforward process.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2012 :  16:09:40  Show Profile
Just placed my order for the same bimini as yours Scott but not fully stainless. I ordered the stainless hardware and Royal blue sunbrella fabric.. $412 with free shipping, best deal I could find.

Looking forward to getting it installed!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dan Greer
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2012 :  01:35:55  Show Profile
Islander, I got all excited looking at the way you moved your rear support strap down about halfway on the rear bimini support tube. I can see that that would make it much easier to get around the bimini from the rear.

But looking further at the pictures, doesn't the strap get in the way when you have to be cranking on the winch?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2012 :  10:20:20  Show Profile
So I installed mine today. I decided to not use the track sliders as the ones I was sent only worked with included plastic hardware and not the stainless I have on the bimini. Also the rear attachment straps are on track car sliders to allow for easier access to cockpit. I do find that the boom needs to be let out in order to collapse forward but thats not too much of a big deal.

Edited by - av8rOC on 05/25/2012 10:23:01
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4007 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2012 :  13:01:28  Show Profile
Sorry Sean I seem to have lost track of this thread somehow but not having the Bimini on tracks really doesn't matter much. In the 3 yrs I don't think I moved it but 2 times. At the time I was installing the Bimini it took finding the exact location for the mount out of the equation. After the install I could slide it back as far as it could go and have the mainsheet just clear it. Sort of being able to fine tune the location. The side straps you guessed right. I dropped them so as they wouldn't be in the way when boarding. No they don't get in the way of working the winch but then I never use a winch handle on them, On a C25 you really shouldn't have to. Yes you have to lift the boom to fold it forward but I never close mine, The advantage to leaving open, You never get any rain water in the cabin through the hatch boards and the varnish lasts a long time on the teak never having the sun beating on it. Sean it looks great,Really makes these boat pop right? I sailed down your way last Sat. Got to Caumsett and was wondering if you were around. Sun. was full bore sailing all reefed up, a real woo woo day.

Edited by - islander on 05/25/2012 13:10:08
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2012 :  13:15:26  Show Profile
Yeah I was out Sunday and the 15-20kt easterlies were a blast. I had the whole family and a 2 of my wires girlfriends aboard so I decided so sail on the jib only and it worked out nicely. Interesting about leaving the bimini up full time.. I was worried about strong winds beating it up but I suppose It wouldn't really be a problem.

The boat is coming along pretty well and I have been enjoying it a ton. I still have to pull the trigger on a mainsail but my wallet is taking a breather for a bit. Plenty of washing/waxing/brightwork yet to be done anyway.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2012 :  19:53:53  Show Profile
Sean,

I've had my boat 4-1/2 years and have probably folded the bimini up less than 10 times. The bimini has been through 50 mph winds more than once and it's held up fine. I see people towing their powerboats on the freeway with the bimini up all the time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2012 :  22:22:33  Show Profile
Good deal, thanks Gary. I will leave it up from now on.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2012 :  05:08:27  Show Profile
Update:

Bimini worked fantastic yesterday. We spent the entire day on the water and I can't tell you what a life saver the bimini was. I will say though even with the narrower coming mount it is still a PITA to get topside with the bimini up. Even still the benefits outweigh the hassle by far.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2012 :  09:46:34  Show Profile
I keep our bimini folded up and under its cover when we are not sailing. It'd well over 10 years old now and the fabric still looks great!

Edited by - dmpilc on 05/29/2012 09:47:03
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4007 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2012 :  14:30:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I will say though even with the narrower coming mount it is still a PITA to get topside with the bimini up. Even still the benefits outweigh the hassle by far.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'd say you got it on just in time Sean, Blistering hot yesterday. Yes it is a bit of a trade off but even on Sat. around 4pm the thunderstorms were over Westchester/Conn and we got clipped by the edge of them. Nice to scoot up under the Bimini when the rain started to come down for about 1/2hr. Are your lines led to the cockpit? The only time I have to go forward is to tie up the main and with the dinette interior I can step through the companion way and use the back of the dinette seat as a final step up to put my butt on the cabin top. I usually come back around the Bimini leaning in on it a bit. The reason I was suggesting the all stainless. The Bimini will become somewhat of a handhold.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

av8rOC
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
121 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2012 :  16:02:52  Show Profile
Yeah I found the companionway the easiest way on and off deck. I have the standard interior but am tall and can jump up from the steps easily enough.

My lines are cockpit let yes but still I find myself going up more often than not.. Picking up/dropping the mooring, covering/uncovering mainsail and sail ties, raising and lowering flag haylard etc..

Again this is a minor gripe. After yesterday I think the bimini was the best money I have put into the boat thus far.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page