Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Is a C-250 the Right Next Boat?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:32:45  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Wow, What a thread! You can really tell when folks have been on the hard for to long. I've never sailed a 250 or a Capri so I can't render an opinion on them. I'm certain they're both fine boats. My budget did not allow for 30K or more so I was predetermined to go used. What surprised the heck out of me is that I could score such a great boat (89 SR/WK) for 11K. and quoting Mike (stampeder) "<i>In the end, I'm just glad I bought a boat - best thing I've done since I decided on the Admiral</i>". This definitely is the most fun I've had in my life

Edited by - DaveR on 03/31/2008 13:34:40
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:56:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lcharlot</i>
<br />...Of course, the C-250 Wing Keel is a superb performer and will sail rings around the older C-25's.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">You won't get much agreement on that, except maybe in very light air.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2008 :  14:45:02  Show Profile
Here is the PHRF data from ussailing.org. It shows Low, High and Average handicap ratings for our boats. As you can see the 250 average rating is as fast or faster than all but the two Tall models of the 25. Time to set aside the preconceived notions about the speeds of our boats.

CATALINA 25 FK 224 237 228
CATALINA 25 FK IB 222 240 231
CATALINA 25 FK TM 219 231 222
CATALINA 25 FK TM IB 198 198 198
CATALINA 25 IB 222 237 228
CATALINA 25 SK 222 240 228
CATALINA 25 SK IB 222 234 228
CATALINA 25 SK TM 216 234 225
CATALINA 25 WK 225 231 228
CATALINA 25 WK TM 222 231 225
CATALINA 250 215 257 225
CATALINA 250 CB 225 225 225
CATALINA 250 WK 213 230 225

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2008 :  19:00:52  Show Profile
Honey, what was that boat that just flew by us??

That was a Capri 25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:50:06  Show Profile
Okay, now I'm really getting excited.

Today I secured a dock for the summer (on beautiful Lake Tahoe) at a very reasonable price.

The financing is completely approved (also at a very favorable rate) and ready to complete once the boat arrives.

The boat is scheduled to be completed at the Catalina factory in Florida on April 16th - about a week from today. Delivery is expected in May.

Oh, yeah, I even have the hull number: 973.

Yes, we will be naming the boat, but we always like to do a little sailing on a new boat before we officially name her.

WooHoo!

(Kali &) Martin
2008 C-250wk #973
Lake Tahoe, CA/NV

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SCnewbie
Navigator

Members Avatar

166 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2008 :  22:59:24  Show Profile
Wow and I was excited putting it in the water for the first time. I can't even imagine the excitement as delivery of your brand new boat approaches!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  07:00:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Kali & Martin,
Congrats on the expected delivery

I recall our delivery (pickup) of JD and it was a real adventure for us as we had to drive over 100 miles to the delivery point.

Are you having it delivered to your slip or do you pick it up at a dealers place?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  07:59:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br /> Time to set aside the preconceived notions about the speeds of our boats.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I've been saying that since the 2003 Catalina 25/250 Nationals, when I wrote: "To those who have doubted the racing ability of the C-250, Bryan [Beamer] indisputably proved that a well-prepared and well-sailed C-250 can compete with and even beat tall and standard rig C-25s." When I said that, people thought I was just pandering to the C250s, but I wasn't.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:28:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MartinJW</i>
<br />Okay, now I'm really getting excited.

The boat is scheduled to be completed at the Catalina factory in Florida on April 16th

Yes, we will be naming the boat, but we always like to do a little sailing on a new boat before we officially name her.

WooHoo!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Congrat's Martin!

Speaking of "WooHoo!", that sounds like a pretty good name for a boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:03:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Kali & Martin,
Congrats on the expected delivery

Are you having it delivered to your slip or do you pick it up at a dealers place?

Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks!

As part of the purchase agreement, we asked the dealer to deliver the boat to the ramp and help us with the first set-up and launch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MartinJW
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
241 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:09:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MartinJW</i>
<br />Okay, now I'm really getting excited.

The boat is scheduled to be completed at the Catalina factory in Florida on April 16th

WooHoo!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Congrat's Martin!

Speaking of "WooHoo!", that sounds like a pretty good name for a boat.

Thanks!

Indeed, <i>WooHoo</i> would be an excellent name for a boat. However, given our skills and the way we use a sailboat, a more appropriate name might be <i>ZZZzzz...</i>.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:56:46  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MartinJW</i>
<br />
Indeed, <i>WooHoo</i> would be an excellent name for a boat. However, given our skills and the way we use a sailboat, a more appropriate name might be <i>ZZZzzz...</i>.

Too funny!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:28:37  Show Profile
Congrats Martin!
Labarca sailed Lake Tahoe her first 20 years.
She seemed to enjoy it because she's still in excellent shape.
Having them set up and help launch is an excellent start. well done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stardog
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
319 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  13:59:19  Show Profile
Catalinas and Capris are all fine boats and do very well what they were designed to do. Each has it's merits and I think we would not all be here if we did not love them. I don't know if anyone made this point: anyone serious about selling a boat to you will give you a sea trial, whereby you can take the boat out and sail it. I highly recommend sailing all of them to decide what characteristics you like the most. One area in which most of us agree is that you will get more for your money if you buy a boat that is not right off the showroom floor. You'll pay less for a used boat, be able to add all kinds of upgrades you want and still walk away with money left over. Here a few extras to entice you:

Newer and/or better sails
Better sail controls/running rigging
New bottom paint
Bimini
Better anchor and rode
Catbird seats
Stereo/DVD player
Graphics for your boat's name

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

osmepneo
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
1420 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:45:58  Show Profile
I sailed a 250 in Portland Nationals several years ago. I don't remember the configuration. It had a wheel and it took time for me to get used to that, advantage of the wheel is that it opens up the cockpit - freeing up space that the tiller takes. The head on the 250 I sailed was awkward to get into and use. I'm 6'2" and had to walk on my knees to get in.

I have a 25, wing keel converted by po. It is a great boat and was right for me when I bought it. I'm not particularly concerned with speed, a c25 is (kinda) a c25 and c250 is (kinda) a c250. Differences in rig and keel configuration make our one designs not truly one design. But that's the nature of our world. And, I believe, given the compromises of boat buying, they are the best boats in their size range. I suspect that if one design is important to someone, then the Capri 25 would be a good choice.

A moment ago I said that the c25 <b>was </b> right for me when I bought it 10 years ago, now I'm not so sure. When <i>osmepneo</i> sells, I thinking of Com-Pac Picnic Cat.

BTW. I hope to come off the hard on Saturday (maybe Friday) and i have the marina operator launch and raise the mast.

Edited by - osmepneo on 06/12/2008 21:47:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page