Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 In the water again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/21/2023 :  09:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After nineteen months on the hard, through two winters and one season full of projects and scheduling problems, the Puffin III is finally back in the water! Friday was splash day, including a brief chat with Neptune to approve renaming her - and applying her new name and hailing port decals in spitting rain!

Yesterday, along with a delivery captain, I did the 33nm passage from St. Joseph, Michigan to Michigan City, Indiana. This was the first time ever that I’d cast off the lines in one place and tied up in another, so I thought it was prudent to have adult supervision. It turns out I was right! It was a fairly sporty day on the lake, blowing 12-15 with 3-5 foot waves pretty much the whole trip, and thanks to a couple of simple oversights getting ready, we spent our time in those conditions with no ability to furl in the 135 genoa (roller setup mishap) or sheet out the main - I had attached the pigtail to keep the boom in place while I reeved the mainsheet back on to its blocks and, since I never use it in general operation, forgot to release it! Once the main filled and put pressure on the boom, the little shackle was too hard to unstick so we just had to live with it.

I learned a lot on the trip, but most of what I learned was taught by Puffin III - how tight a circle I can turn while waiting for a drawbridge, how even 5-foot chop is just uncomfortable, not dangerous, how exactly as I’d hoped it would be it is to put miles under her keel.

I am so excited for the coming season, and I want to take a moment to thank all of you for being in this community, where I got the confidence and a lot of the technical knowledge I needed to get to this point. I hope everyone reading this has a wonderful season ahead.

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page