Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 power to electric panel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cat25
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/25/2022 :  06:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there is an in line fuse on the red power wire to the main panel?
thanks.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2022 :  07:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not in any original configuration but it could be added.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2022 :  13:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I’ll go one step further: you should have a 30A or 40A fuse in-line from the battery to the panel, and it should be located within a few inches of the positive battery terminal. If a short circuit occurred between the battery and the panel, the fuse would blow and save the boat. Without one, the wire would catch fire and burn the boat to the waterline. Happens very often.
If you have your outboard starter/charging circuit wired into the battery, I’d strongly recommend a separate 50A fuse in that circuit close to the battery terminal too.
I say fuse because mechanical circuit breakers can rust in a marine environment after a few years.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/25/2022 13:32:44
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2022 :  14:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

From my battery install in 2014.. battery still running.

So .. top right big reg wire is power from battery into the black 100 amp fuse that basically does nothing ( I'm not running a starter ) but coming out below is a 10 gage red wire running down and back up to the red 30 amp fuse and coming out if that on top is two (12 and 10) gauge wires, one to a voltage gauge and then to the switched wiring panel. the second red wire goes to an unstitched panel which will run the sump pump if I install it one day.......

I think the other function for the 100 amp fuse was to get the lug connector down to a 12 gauge connector for the 30 amp fuse... I couldn't find a 1/0 ( or 2/0 whatever the big wire is ) to 12 gauge terminal... if that makes any sense to you.

Folks say how easy it is and then you look into it and find you need a $300 wire crimper for 1/0 wire lug ...... or sum such... so talk it out before you start buying parts..

Draw the diagram... find one your friends that does electrical...

But yes.. fuses are good.. I burnt up a wire in Nanoseconds on a short before I got my fuse installed on another boat.. all the insulation on the wire dripping off of it.. could have easily been a fire..

always do your fuse work first.

Funny I was thinking today how when you buy a battery they have the plastic terminal covers on them and the first thing Ive done is thrown them away... Gonna keep the next set and put them on whenever I'm working on an electrical system..

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/25/2022 14:21:26
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2022 :  17:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the tips, I am going to check it out tomorrow!

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2022 :  05:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to drone on like that ..yep 30 amp inline fuses are at the auto stores now adays..

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2022 :  05:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely agree with Ray - while BlueSea makes a great boat wiring and fusing system, auto-part fuse blocks are just as serviceable. Because autos are exposed to road salts, these are generally as long-lasting as boaty items, but at a lower price point.
Don’t, however, skimp on the electrical wire. Boat wire is stranded, not solid like home 12-3 romex wire, and it is individually tinned with solder, so the wire inside the insulation is coated and protected. That makes a difference, both in reliability and also in cost. Definitely worth it. Don’t use THHN from the home stores.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/30/2022 06:05:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page