Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailcare
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/05/2021 :  06:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone used Sailcare lately to have their sales cleaned and/or repaired?

Has anyone purchased their sails?

Good, bad, ugly reviews? Other suggestions?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/05/2021 06:35:43

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2021 :  11:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not have a good experience with them. About 10 yrs ago I sent my 135 to them to get cleaned. What I got back was a clean sail but with the UV cover damaged. It appeared to me that in their cleaning or drying process they use heat or heating dryers. Anyway it looked like the adhesive on the UV cover softened and puckered. I guess this is why they caution you about numbers and letters that are on your sail. This was my experience and I'm sure many people have had good results but I didn't. I would use a local sail loft. Most do cleaning and reconditioning and you can avoid the boxing and shipping headache. Easier to talk with someone local rather than across the country.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/05/2021 11:36:46
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2021 :  12:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We each have our own ideas and aesthetic standards. My inclination is that any aggressive cleaning shortens a sail's life. I also believe exposure of sails to the sun bleaches out many stains naturally. My practice has always been to clean dirt from a sail with a little dish soap and, if necessary, a soft bristle brush, like a paint brush. If there's still a little stain, I trust it will fade in time. I don't expect sails to look sparkling white when inspected closely. If they look presentable from 30-40 ft, I'm happy, especially if they still work well after 20+ years.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2021 :  13:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve gone both ways on sail cleaning. First, I washed down my patio and laid my sails out for cleaning with a soft brush on a long aluminum pole. Cleaned it with a squirt of Dawn and a few ounces of Clorox in about 2 gallons of water. Then I hung the sails from my deck and rinsed and rinsed with a spray head (not a power washer) until there were no more suds.
The sails sparkled for the season. I later learned that Clorox is NOGO for Dacron sailcloth, so scratch the Clorox.
The next time I brought my sails to a master repairer named Gene Sutton, who worked at my local sailmaker, namely Nielspryde sails of Stratford CT. Gene was (now retired) an expert sail maker and repairer from WAY back in the day. They did a great job and Gene also repaired the UV strip on my furling Genoa sail.
I wish he were still local in Stratford however I learned that he retired to South Carolina somewhere. Meanwhile, Nielspryde is still with us and doing sail cleaning and repairs, at least they were 2 years ago.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2021 :  19:40:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'll try to find someone local. I'd rather help my local guy out anyway.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page