Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 What the heck?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/25/2021 :  06:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the heck is going on with our C25 gang? No posts for 3 days! Are you all out sailing?

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2021 :  10:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just returned from a 3-day sail. The humidity broke on Thursday morning and the NW breeze picked up. Let my colleagues know I’d be sailing on Thursday and Friday (isn’t WFH handy?). I got my supplies together by lunchtime and cast off. We made 25 nm by 1800 and dropped anchor in Clinton harbor.
On Friday, the winds switched to south so continued east to the CT River. Caught the incoming tide and overnighted at Essex, a quaint New England sailing village that’s 8 miles upriver. We got a brief late afternoon shower with a double rainbow, then as night set in the full buck moon rose up over Selden Creek Cove. We enjoyed a delicious barbecue and a chilled white wine while listening to a 1950-vintage Ella Fitzgerald album on the local community radio station.
Friday night the wind went still making the overnight very serene with temperatures and dew points in the 60°s. Light blanket weather.
Talking about sleep, the dinette cabin is particularly comfortable when sleeping as we drop the table between the seats and I place a specially built board between the dinette and the settee creating a queen-sized sleeping space. We put down a queen sized air mattress with standard fitted sheets and blanket.
Saturday morning we saw a fresh SSE breeze so we motored downriver and made the swing to west for our return. We were concerned about the wind direction because Long Island Sound typically gets sloppy and choppy with a SE fetch. Not so this time and the wind veered more south as the day wore on. Reached 5.2 kt through the water and 4.4 over ground. Course was between 240° and 270° magnetic all day. Put Passage on a 15° heel and played with the sail shape to max out our speed.
We returned around 6pm to Milford at the tail end of a local music festival for boaters at Charles Island. There must’ve been 100 boats, mostly stinkpotters, but some sailors. Most of the other sailboats were out enjoying the lively conditions and beautiful sunny weather.
All-in-all we had a very nice time. Ah, summer!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2021 :  11:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, given that we are fulltime cruisers on our C-36, we are continually out. :)

The last few days has had us leaving our home port of Poulsbo, WA, where we re-provisioned and did some maintenance. Sailed to Blake Island for the night. From there, dropped anchor in Gig Harbor. Last night was Illahee State Park where we grabbed a mooring ball. Now en-route around Bainbridge Island (the long way through Agate Passage) to Eagle Harbor on the island’s East side. In our company has been my brother and sister-in-law who will sadly catch a ferry tomorrow back to SeaTac to fly home to Indiana.

Sadly, little wind for them to enjoy, except for yesterday which brought 22-25 knots on the nose and 2’ wind waves down Colvos Passage.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2021 :  18:38:52  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had some vacations but otherwise out sailing 1-2 times a week. Nothing really of interest to report except that my 6 gallon gas tank vent/gauge cap needed to be replaced because the vent screw-down was sort of stripped not fully sealing. I was able to get a new Kelch Vent/gauge cap and installed it yesterday morning. The replacement float length was slightly shorter than my existing cap assembly. So, my gas tank gauge readings are now a bit more conservative - Suspect when the gauge will read empty, I may still have a gallon or more left in the tank...a bit more than there would have been with the old vent/gauge cap.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2021 :  07:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys! Remember that I now have to get my sailing vicariously via this Forum.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2021 :  08:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Ah, Summer!”….Outside trim to paint, yard work, driveway repair, clearing the downed tree from last week’s storm…As for sailing…an occasional escape (pun intended) makes it all worthwhile.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

hlprmnky
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2021 :  14:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sailing for me yet, but the project of refitting the "Carol Lee" (name quoted because I intend to change it once the new name decal arrives) continues apace. No posts from me in a bit because I have enough to chew on getting through the tasks I think I already know how to do! So far this month I've rebuilt the head, brought the carburetor from the 1985-vintage Honda B100 home and disassembled/cleaned it, disassembled one Genoa winch for cleaning, and the most onerous and annoying task - getting the title and registration moved into my name and renewed. New registration numbers and name decal should arrive this week.
This is a C25 that sat on the hard for three years before I bought her, property of an owner who never had the sails up, and decided immediately upon taking her out the first time that sailing was not for him. Unsurprisingly, there's still a few more bits and bobs to get sorted before I think she's ready to go out. My goal is to get her on the lake this season and make sure winter storage is indoors at a facility that is cool with me coming and going and doing my own work.
It's weird to say, but spending a full weekend day working on refitting this boat is as much fun and satisfaction as I thought I would get from getting out on the water. I expect this will be a long friendship.

1985 C25 SR/FK/Trad. “Puffin III” - #5040
Sailing Lake Michigan out of Michigan City, IN
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2021 :  16:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mostly working on boats, etc. here.

Anchored the Catalina 22 in shallow water to clean the bottom a bit.  Only reached under with my head above water, but I think that's where almost all the fouling was.  Noticed the cabin lights, stereo, and nav electronics pulled the C22's group 24 battery from 12+ volts down to 9 volts in a few hours, so I'd say that battery is done for.  The C22 is about due for bottom paint and brightwork refinishing, so I foresee a haulout in the near future.

Cobbled together a 6:1 cascade boom vang for the C22.  If that works well, I may try something similar on the C25 to reduce friction (C25 now has 7:1 using 2 triples + a becket).

Recently replaced a pair of 12V group 27 batteries in the C25 with a pair of 6V GC2 batteries, installed 4 new solar panels with charge controller and power monitors.  Still figuring out an A/C condensate sump & pump.

While I had the mast down recently:  new LED lights, VHF antenna, spreader boots, wind vane with bird spike, small stainless steel wires making potential large bird landing spots less hospitable.  Replaced deck connector for mast wiring with Deck Clam, terminal strip near top of compression post.

Installed new jib dowsing line on C25.  Need to dive under it and see why the swing keel position indicator quit working.  Figuring out what to do about a Bimini with totally worn out canvas on a perfectly good stainless steel frame of unknown brand.

Making a list of parts the C25's trailer needs.  (Two bunk rollers fell off when boat was lifted recently.)

And an occasional day sail.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2021 :  20:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting the break-in service this week for my major repower. (You don't wanna know.) Sorry--not sailing--I've gone over to the Dark Side...

Here, that's not a bad place to be. A private dock where my C-25 couldn't go, and many interesting destinations and things to see in CT, NY, RI, MA, plus historic and classic yachts to watch, and people to take out to see them...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/26/2021 21:36:58
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2021 :  22:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

Mostly working on boats, etc. here.

Anchored the Catalina 22 in shallow water to clean the bottom a bit.  Only reached under with my head above water, but I think that's where almost all the fouling was.  Noticed the cabin lights, stereo, and nav electronics pulled the C22's group 24 battery from 12+ volts down to 9 volts in a few hours, so I'd say that battery is done for.  The C22 is about due for bottom paint and brightwork refinishing, so I foresee a haulout in the near future.

Cobbled together a 6:1 cascade boom vang for the C22.  If that works well, I may try something similar on the C25 to reduce friction (C25 now has 7:1 using 2 triples + a becket).

Recently replaced a pair of 12V group 27 batteries in the C25 with a pair of 6V GC2 batteries, installed 4 new solar panels with charge controller and power monitors.  Still figuring out an A/C condensate sump & pump.

While I had the mast down recently:  new LED lights, VHF antenna, spreader boots, wind vane with bird spike, small stainless steel wires making potential large bird landing spots less hospitable.  Replaced deck connector for mast wiring with Deck Clam, terminal strip near top of compression post.

Installed new jib dowsing line on C25.  Need to dive under it and see why the swing keel position indicator quit working.  Figuring out what to do about a Bimini with totally worn out canvas on a perfectly good stainless steel frame of unknown brand.

Making a list of parts the C25's trailer needs.  (Two bunk rollers fell off when boat was lifted recently.)

And an occasional day sail.

Any chance you could list the make/model numbers for the LED lights, deck clam and terminal strip? I need to update/add all of those.

You should be able to measure the dimensions of your old canvas and order a new canvas from places like Boat Covers Direct, Overton's, National Bimini Tops, or Empire Covers. Empire Covers ad says they have covers for any size or model.

My boat had a bimini made by Carver Covers with the 9.25 oz. Sunbrella cloth. The Sunbrella 9.25 oz. cloth has a 10 year warranty and mine easily lasted over 10 years.

I checked with Carver (they don't sell direct) and Boat Covers Direct (a Carver Dealer) on replacing the canvas earlier this summer and the canvas was around $225.00. The bad news was the lead time for a complete new bimini or just the canvas was 45 days so I blew it off for now.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2021 :  15:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GaryB,

Re:  "...list the make/model numbers for the LED lights, deck clam and terminal strip?"

LED anchor light:

seems to be sold under various brand names, including Pactrade Marine, Five Oceans, Isure Marine, SaRenXing Technology, probably others for $15 to $20 range.  Available with no pole, short pole (about 3" to 5"), or long pole (i.e. typical small runabout).

LED steaming and foredeck combo light:

Five Oceans # FO-3837, $55.

Scanstrut Cable Clam:

various models from $16 to $70 range depending upon material, thickness of cable and wallet.

Blue Sea Systems Wiring Terminal Block:

various models from $3 to $35 range depending upon max current and number of circuits.  I think I used 20A x 4 circuits, $8.

Wiring crimp terminals w/heat shrink, hot glue:

I suggest getting a kit if you don't already have these, $20 from various vendors.

For the terminals you'll also need a heat source and 'crush' crimper not 'punch-a-hole' type.  The heat shrink sort of heals after being crushed.

For almost all boat electrical system runs I use double insulated wiring labeled "boat cable" not automotive, household, etc.  If you need single conductor wires with something better than PVC insulation, silicone and Teflon are also available in a wide variety of colors.

Re:  "You should be able to measure the dimensions of your old canvas...

You'd have to see the condition of my old Bimini canvas to appreciate the challenge of even measuring it flat on the ground, let alone reinstalling on the frame.

I emailed Carver, which redirected to coversdirect.com, who said they might be able to supply a new canvas if I provide the dimensions needed.

I've taken photos and measurements of the frame arches, and lashed it together on the boat for more photos and measurements (using sail ties in place of the canvas).  I'm cautiously optimistic they can do this and have it fit OK without it getting too pricey.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2021 :  23:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Leon. I appreciate it.

My bimini canvas is in bad shape as well. It's shredded in a couple of spots. I knew the canvas measured 6' front to back and I was able to measure the width of the frame at 78" - 79" where it mounts to the coaming.

The corresponding Carver model # for my frame and canvas is Part#: A4681UB. It's 46" high, 81" wide with aluminum bows. The frame can be flexed in or out 2 - 3" in either direction to fit your width (not sure if your stainless can flex that much).

My frame attaches to the outside of the coaming in front of the winches. I could also flex it out to fit in the T-tracks on my '89 which I believe is around 81". Carver says the 81" frame will fit 79" - 84".

If yours is close to the above dimensions you can call Carver back and give them the above model # and they can tell you which canvas part # you need. They also need to know if yours is a 3 bow or 4 bow and whether the bows are round or square and aluminum or stainless.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page