Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Chesapeake bay sailing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kenpa
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/08/2020 :  07:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I been sailing for 3 years and have sailing on the Chesapeake bay in my bucket list. Would be coming from Pa where would be the safe place to launch may Cat 25 for a few days sail?

ken sheetz

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2020 :  06:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Maryland Governor has closed the Bay to recreational boating until the current crisis is over, but when it is re-opened, I suggest you launch in the Annapolis area, because it is not only a beautiful and historic city, but also because it's a one day sail from many of the popular destinations like St. Michaels and Oxford.

If you're into racing, you could schedule your trip on a day when there's a race to St. Mike's or other race and either enter your boat or crew for someone else. I race my Cal 25 on weekends and in the Friday night beer cans in Annapolis.

I have never looked for boat launch ramps in the area, but try this link for state boat launch ramps in the Annapolis area. https://www.google.com/search?q=state+boat+launch+ramps+annapolis&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS893US893&oq=st&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j35i39j69i59j0l2j46l2.5818j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also try this link for the Galesville Wharf, which reportedly has a launch ramp. Galesville is a quiet little town with a good restaurant at Pirate's Cove. The last time I was there, a slip at Pirate's Cove was $45.00 for any size boat, and it included shore power and showers. https://www.google.com/search?q=galesville+wharf&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS893US893&oq=galesville+wharf&aqs=chrome..69i57.13956j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I expect that parking a boat trailer will be a concern anywhere.

If you've only sailed inland lakes, you'll find navigation on the Bay a new experience. Either charts and a compass or a chartplotter are a must for finding your way from place-to-place. Big ships can only operate in the marked commercial channels, and you can stay out of their way by simply staying out of their channel. When you have to cross their channel, look to see that it's clear and go for it. Start your motor if necessary. The other commercial traffic is barges. They aren't confined to any channels and can go anywhere, but they're usually slower than ships. Just keep a good lookout ahead and behind you. If you see one coming towards you, and you're looking at his bow, put your helm over and veer away until you can see his side. I wouldn't recommend night sailing to a newcomer to the Bay. You really need more skill than the average recreational boater to be able to interpret navigation lights of ships, barges and recreational craft. Night sailing on the Bay is beautiful, but it's more difficult.

Enjoy your trip, and give us a report! We'd like to know about boat ramps and your experiences.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 04/09/2020 06:57:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page