Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cutting the stock on a Fortress anchor redux
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/10/2008 :  12:09:05  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
OK Paul, I forgive you for censoring my posts, I swear I wasn't selling T-shirts.

I bought a Fortress Fx-11 anchor a while back & found that it doesn't fit in Sl's anchor locker. I'm considering cutting a couple of inches off of the stock on either side to make it fit the slots in the anchor locker. The anchor fits otherwise. Thoughts?

At worst if it doesn't work, I figure I can simply replace the stock since you can purchase new parts for it if necessary.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  13:05:38  Show Profile
I can't think of any real function they serve other than to give options for various size anchor lockers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  13:48:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/19745/377%20710%202041/0/Anchor%20Chocks%20& %20Accessories/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%202041& Ne=0& Ntt=Anchor%20Chocks%20& %20Accessories& Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial& page=CategoryDisplayLevel1& isLTokenURL=true& storeNum=88& subdeptNum=13509& classNum=13509" ]Rail Mounted Anchor Bracket" target="_blank">I cut the tips off my 2nd anchor because it would not fit widthwise in the anchor locker. br / br / Then I found that the hassle of keeping the 2nd anchor in the locker was a pain. So now I secure the anchor flukes up hanging from the pulpit. I use a 6&apos webbing sail tie to keep it in place and that wraps between the anchor and the SS pulpit. br / br / Then in WM last week I saw this..... br / br / [url=" http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/19745/377%20710%202041/0/Anchor%20Chocks%20& %20Accessories/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%202041& Ne=0& Ntt=Anchor%20Chocks%20& %20Accessories& Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial& page=CategoryDisplayLevel1& isLTokenURL=true& storeNum=88& subdeptNum=13509& classNum=13509" ]Rail Mounted Anchor Bracket

In case that link is cookie sensitive, go to http://www.westmarine.com and search for item number 488353

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Chris Z
Captain

Members Avatar

452 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  13:48:05  Show Profile  Visit Chris Z's Homepage
Keep in mind that the stock plays a part in insuring the anchor will not sit on it's side and just drag along the bottom. The stock creates a high enough center of gravity that the anchor has to fall over on the bottom. I know this because my dad did this to his to make it fit below in his C-22. This made the anchor almost useless.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  14:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Paul, If you buy an anchor mount and place it on the bow pulpit, keep a careful eye on it when jybing the boat.

This past summer my genoa got caught on the anchor holder and I now have a neat little hole in it. The sheet went through th egate in it, and held fast. My holder was not hte model you have shown, but I have removed the anchor holder from the rail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  15:16:11  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Then in WM last week I saw this.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

We actually have one of those on the bow already, but I don't like to keep the anchor in it until I'm ready to drop the hook. I just don't know how much I trust it to hold onto the anchor while the boat's pitching up & down in a chop or whatever. Last thing I want is an anchor bouncing around into my hull while dealing with nasty weather, unfortunately not too uncommon on Puget Sound.

You might think that it'd be handy to have the anchor up there & ready to go all the time, and it probably would, but I've already proved to myself that I can deploy the anchor from the locker pretty quickly when it's necessary. Nothing like wrapping a bow line around your prop in a river while being carried into barges to get your adrenalin flowing.

I understand that the stock's design is to force the anchor to topple over should it hit the bottom stock down, I just wonder how much I could cut before I lose or seriously impair that ability.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  15:44:27  Show Profile
I don't have a fortress (at least I don't think I do but, who knows who makes what for WM) but, I have the same style. The stock on either side only extends sufficiently that is just fits the C250 locker "shoulders" that appear to be there for just that purpose.

Here's what they say at the Fortress website FAQ's:

"<b> My anchor does not fit into the small anchor locker on my boat. Can I cut the stock to make the anchor fit?</b>

<i>We do not recommend it. The stock is the perpendicular piece of the anchor that your are referring to, and it is the "landing gear" for the anchor. The stock helps to balance the anchor once it reaches the sea bottom, and then the flukes fall forward and the anchor begins to dig in and set.</i>"

I still think that a 2" or 3" length on either side would serve the same purpose.

Edited by - John Russell on 12/10/2008 15:44:58
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  20:15:21  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
http://www.fortressanchors.com/AnchorTestNavy.html

The reference!

My anchor does not fit into the small anchor locker on my boat. Can I cut the stock to make the anchor fit?

We do not recommend it. The stock is the perpendicular piece of the anchor that your are referring to, and it is the "landing gear" for the anchor. The stock helps to balance the anchor once it reaches the sea bottom, and then the flukes fall forward and the anchor begins to dig in and set.

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 12/10/2008 20:16:42
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  20:59:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Russell</i>
<br />I don't have a fortress (at least I don't think I do but, who knows who makes what for WM)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Only a Fortress is a Fortress, it is the fine jewelry of Danforth type anchors. If you ever saw one you would love it. ... and want one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  22:48:08  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
John,
WM sells both Danforth and Fortress Anchors...plus addl types.
A Danforth and a Fortress anchor look similar unless you are familiar specifically with the features of a Fortress Anchor and then it would seem like they are so much different from each other in both their features and functionality. A Fortress Anchor is much more costly compared to a Danforth Anchor.

A Fortress Anchor is much lighter than for a Danforth of the same dimensional size. This is because a Fortress Anchor is made from an Aluminum magnesium alloy. A smaller Fortress Anchor has more holding power than a larger (and heavier) Danforth Anchor. It has to do with the angles/construction of the Fortress Anchor...not just hype.

One thing to be aware of is that Fortress makes...the "Fortress" Anchor. Fortress also makes the "Guardian Anchor By Fortress". The Guardian Anchor is not the "Fortress Anchor". The Guardian Anchor is considerably less expensive compared to the Fortress Anchor. It looks like and does share similarities to the Fortress Anchor but does not have dsome features. It has the lighter weight similar to the Fortress Anchor since it is made out of same alloy, however, the Guardian Anchor is not anodized, whereas, the Fortress Anchor is anodized. The Guardian Anchor also does not have some of the angles or whatever you call them on the blades which are what gives the Fortress Anchor it's superior holding power. There also some construction details that are different.

I normally do not go to Boater's World but they were having a sale on Fortress Anchors. They did not have any more FX-11s, so I bought an FX-7 . I already have a Danforth and a lunch hook. I bought the Fortress as a second anchor but...depending on how it works out, I may make it my main anchor since it probably has about same or better holding power comapred to the Danforth I have...and the Fortress Anchor is so much lighter....just easier to handle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  23:21:54  Show Profile
The Fortress certainly is lighter (my secondary is an FX-11), but you still want 25' or so of chain--about a pound a foot, so suddenly it's not that much lighter any more. And it certainly is purdy, but I don't know what'll happen to that lovely annodized finish and honed edges after dragging it across the rocks around here...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  23:22:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />John,

A smaller Fortress Anchor has more holding power than a larger (and heavier) Danforth Anchor. It has to do with the angles/construction of the Fortress Anchor...not just hype.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It depends on the bottom and how force is applied. Read the tests, Practical Sailor's cautions about anchor tests, and pick a card, any card........

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:30:20  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
MOst of the Potomac River, at least where I am, is excellent for anchor holding. It's basically mud down there. (Unless you hit a tree trunk or a branch - but most are visible on water surface !)

When I first bought my boat and the depthfinder was not working, I was out sailing and was not paying close enough attention to where I was going....I found that the wing keel also makes for a good anchor ! Held me for 2+ hours until the tide rose sufficiently.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  12:03:04  Show Profile
That keel/anchor has some pretty big flukes! '

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page