Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Moor Electronics Digital Knot Meter
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan Greer
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/05/2008 :  22:47:09  Show Profile
Defender is offering a round-faced digital knot meter at about half the price of a Signet Marine unit.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|295761|320704|70054&id=770052

The knot meter is manufactured by Moor Electronics. Has anyone had any experience with Moor Electronics products?

Dan Greer
1989 C-25 SR WK
Phoenix, AZ

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  07:52:53  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|295761|320704|70054&id=770052"]this url works[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5881 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  08:23:43  Show Profile
I haven't had any experience with that brand, but knotmeters generally can be a nuisance, and people who don't sail in tidal waters, or waters with strong currents, will find the speed function of a gps more useful and functional than a knotmeter. Even the cheapest gps can tell you your speed. The only thing it can't tell you is how how much your speed is being affected by current. When an affordable gps becomes available that can calculate the effects of current, the mechanical knotmeters will become obsolete.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  08:46:00  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have not had experience with the Moor Electronics Knotmeter. The Signet Marine Knotmeter that Catalina Direct is selling, it's main draw is "The 4-1/2" round case (5-1/2" bezel) was the largest in the industry and therefore will fill the bulkhead mounting hole of almost any instrument."
The Catalina original gages are fairly large and many of the present day gages require a smaller hole for installation. The Defender Website link does not indicate the hole size required for the Moor Knotmeter. If this gage has same dimensions as the Signet Knotmeter, then it will make for an easier installation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  10:12:24  Show Profile
My M knot meter didn't work when I purchased my boat last year. After researching, I bought a GPS because it offered more value. I still have the paddle wheel on the hull though. Consider GPS, perhaps multi functional unit: gps, depth, and charter.

Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  10:36:52  Show Profile

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  14:57:11  Show Profile
I am not familiar with Moore -- but have changed out my original instruments with Raytheon WT40 series -- whcih are much smaller. I went to a glass/plastic supplier and had an@ 12"x6" plate made to go over the existing @4.5" holes on the bulhead with the smaller @2.75" holes drilled for the new instruments. All in the piece cost @$50.00 and as the instruments were also inexpensive the project was far less than replacing with Signet or typical prices for Moor. I agree that the GPS is more useful than a knotmeter for the coastal sailing most often done and instead have added a wind speed unit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page