Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Compression Post/ Block
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Chichester
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/15/2024 :  09:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, all. So I was just getting ready to barrier coat the hull, the last few things on the list of TTD, and I noticed a hairline crack in the gel coat above the door to the v-berth.

Up on deck at the mast step, a similar story: suggesting, to me at least, that there may be a problem with the compression post/block.
Well, whaddya know, I removed the trim from the seating area on the port side of the post to have a look under the sole at the compression block only to find that a PO had bored out three large holes in the fiber glass wall.

I think he knew about this, attempted to investigate and thought, hell I'll just sell it! Anyhow, it's down to me to fix it. I can't just pass it on to someone else.

My investigation revealed that the compression block seems to be okay for its age but that the real problem is the fiber glass cap where the post is seated. The cap was indented as if it had collapsed.

I opened it up, (would like to add pictures but haven't figured that out yet), and found that the filler had air bubbles in it, these correlate with the indentations on the exterior.

My question is, what is this brown stuff and has anyone had to rebuild there compression post cap/seating. If so can you help me decide what to do here. Cheers

If life is a river then mine is a lake: dammed at each end by the chores of modern-day living.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2024 :  05:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh! You found the famous “brown stuff” that Catalina used as a filler, a sealer, and a glue back in the day. I’m not sure that anybody alive today knows exactly what it is made from, but you’ll find it around the portlights/windows and in the hull-deck joint. I see brown drips just beneath the joint when it rains.
Repairing the footing for the compression post could be tricky, since depending on which cabin layout you have (two settees with fold down table or dinette), it may not be easy to access the footing.
Taking the mast down could help you take the downward force on the compression post. If you could jack it up A LITTLE BIT, you might be able to dig out the footing with an oscillating tool, and rebuild the footing. Or it might be possible to add a wedge beneath the compression post, like the kind they use to level kitchen cabinets on uneven floors.
I say raising the post only a little bit since you want to restore the cabintop to the original height and not deform it upwards.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2024 :  08:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Voyager. Thank you for your response. So that's where the stains are coming from.

I probably could have been a little clearer but didn't want to make a long winded post.
So, the mast is in storage and I have removed the compression post. I have also removed the damaged footing, revealing the top of the compression block. The footing actually broke apart so it was definitely on its way out. I'm definitely going to rebuild it...messy but hey! Somebodies got to do it right?

I would like to upload some images for future reference but I haven't yet figured that out on the site. Would appreciate any pointers there.

Again thank you for your reply. Very encouraging.

If life is a river then mine is a lake: dammed at each end by the chores of modern-day living.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2024 :  20:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posting images! Darn near impossible on this forum, but conceptually, relatively straightforward. You start out with a JPEG file, say from your digital camera, or you convert a smartphone photo to a JPEG. Then you upload that JPEG to a photo sharing service. I use Flickr which was purchased by another company, but they still call it Flickr.
The photo has a url that starts with https://flickr.com and ends with ###.jpg You copy that url and then you paste it into an expression in you post like:

[img’] the pasted url.jpg [/img] But, the real expression for the first img would not have the single quote (I added that to prevent the macro from working)

Here’s an example: img]https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7119/13490160913_0d05e4093f_t.jpg[/img]
I removed the first square bracket to illustrate the example.

Finding the pointer to the actual photo on your photo sharing service is also not trivial.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/16/2024 20:58:09
Go to Top of Page

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2024 :  10:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Voyager. Got it. Will post something soon. Perhaps this will help someone else too.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page