Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 For Me -Less Boating In Proportion To Hotter Temps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3398 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/17/2024 :  20:25:56  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems that I have been down to the boat less this season than the last few years and although I could easily come up with excuses such as other interests or family matters that required my attention, I believe the biggy this year that has reduced my time down on the boat or sailing has been the number of extremely hot days this summer. But I hope to make it down to my boat tomorrow and Friday since the temps are moderating a bit......It is only expected to be between 85-90F each day (instead of 90-102F).

Any of you going out on days when the temps have been above 95F or 100F?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3319 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2024 :  12:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, we often raced in the Summer when the cockpit temp was well over hundred degrees. We kept well hydrated with anything liquid and headed for a cool shower afterwards

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2024 :  19:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather is an issue, as well as schedule. Last season I did not sail ONCE. I work and travel, and between that , family obligations and the fact that every weekend in August was rain or high (20+ knots) wind it just did not happen. This season the weather has also been hot and windy and travel intense, but hopefully going forward better than last year!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2024 :  19:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I recall that you don’t haul your boat each winter like us folks up in New England or the upper Midwest, but I have a regular schedule for splashing and hauling each season. I go in around May Day and haul around Halloween.

In the past, summers were literally cooler on average by about 2°F, and there have been more frequent heat waves (I.e.: 3 or more days when peak daytime temps reach 90° or more). Further, dew points have regularly reached into the mid-70°s which were very infrequent in New England in the 80s and 90s.

I love sailing when the temps are between 60° and 85° with nice winds and low humidity. I also love a hot, humid summer day up to 85°. This is usually May and early June, as well as in September and early October.

But July and August in the past 10-15 years have been just unbearably hot here. I feel like New England weather is closer to traditional mid-Atlantic (MD, VA, DE) weather in mid-summer. And the mid-Atlantic area is now closer to Miami weather! I keep a few spray bottles, a fan, and a gravity fed camping shower on the boat, but it’s downright unpleasant!

I really see how the weather has changed in the past two decades. (and I just got an $800 AC bill too!) Ouch

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3398 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2024 :  21:12:34  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many years ago, I Iived on Long Island and I used to sail out of Amityville (on south shore) when I had a 16' Luger sailboat. In fact, my marina was on the same street where the Amityville house that the movie was based on - Amityville Horror House. Then in 1980, I bought a 1980 ODay 23 and had it in a marina in Huntington Harbor, sailing in Huntington Bay and Long Island Sound. So, back then, I did same as you, boat was on land during winter months. But since I have been down in the DC/Northern Virginia area since 1985, many (not all) keep their boats in the water year-round. The flow agitators that a number of the Marinas use for their floating docks, generally keeps many of the boats clear of hard ice. Many years we do not have ice issues but my boat has been in hard ice for about a week 2-3 times since 1985 - So far, I have not had any issues.

Back to the other extreme ! Using a spray bottle on hot days does sound appealing!

I was able to go out today for a couple of hours and then did just a 1/2 hour of non-skid cleaner cleaning. Today it was mostly cloudy and temps in mid-80s. I plan to go out again tomorrow - Temps to be around 87F and winds around 8mph.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 07/18/2024 21:19:11
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2024 :  10:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm 70 and have lived in the Houston area my whole life. I used to love the summer heat but the last few summers have been unbearably hot with many days having a heat index above 105. I just cannot take the heat anymore which is one of the reasons I plan on selling my boat this year.

I had a nice bimini until 2 or 3 years ago and that made it more bearable sailing on warm days. At some point we had a storm and one of the straps on my bimini broke and the bimini ripped. I didn't get a chance to go down to the boat for a week or so and in that time someone stole part of one of the bows of my bimini. Why someone would steal a bimini, or in this case, just part of a bimini is beyond me.

I contacted the manufacturer about replacing the missing piece and a new canvas and they wanted almost as much as a whole new bimini. The missing piece was a short curved piece of one of the bows and they wanted over $125 for that small piece. The canvas was only like $75 or $80. It was late in the season so I opted not to replace it and because its been so hot the last couple of years I never did. Now that I'm going to sell I'll let the next owner replace it.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2024 :  14:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya! With age comes various issues that impact sailing. I can still (barely) take the heat, but dashing from cockpit to bow to pick up the mooring pendant -- OUCH!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page