Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Olympic sailing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/27/2024 :  08:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday my wife and I watched the very soggy but amazing opening for the Paris summer Olympics. The events just got underway this week and today is the opening day.
Celine Dion did a great cover of a classic Edith Piaf tune. Oh! the French.

I was checking out this url for the game events but haven’t dug in too deep yet.
https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/schedule/27-july
If you subscribe to Peacock TV you can view most of the events. [not an endorsement]

But I wondered whether they’d cover any Olympic sailing events, like dinghy sailing or other boats?

I also am not sure what the sailing venue is. The Riviera? The Atlantic coast? The search app says this about sailing.

I noticed that the surfing events take place clear around the world in French Polynesia! A friend of mine works for NBC Sports. That would be a nice assignment.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/27/2024 08:08:02

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9040 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2024 :  12:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marseille.

But have you ever watched a one-design sailing race with 40+ boats--one of them being "yours", which just started in 18th place? Have fun... And you understand sailing and the rules--how many people in NBC's audience know or care about any of that stuff--like choosing the right side of the course for an expected wind shift, or what that "protest" is about? And how do finishes like 5th, 12th, and 7th result in a medal? (Or do I care?) I'd say it's great for the people in the boats--that's about it. I might be amused to watch one of the starts--that's about it.

(Hint: It took six days for anyone to comment on this, and it ended up being a $+!nkp*++er!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/02/2024 12:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2024 :  16:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! Dave,
I tried to watch the race on Wednesday AM however they didn’t have enough wind to complete the race. It started out pretty well, Spain took the lead, then NZ. Suddenly, after the first mark, the wind died. The race managers called the race. One of the commentators suggested that the race would’ve taken too long for the allotted time.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5880 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2024 :  17:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sailboat races are boring if viewed from a chase boat or a helicopter. With the advent of onboard cameras, non-sailors can see the onboard action, and sometimes hear the discourse between skipper, tactician and crew. Knowledgeable commentators can also help explain the action. But Dave is right. The people who are having the most fun are the people onboard. Most Americans have played enough baseball or football or soccer to know the rules and tactics. That isn't true of sailboat racing. They rely on knowledgeable commentators and good camera work to make it meaningful, but, sadly, there'll probably never be a time when the average viewer will fully understand the sport. For the participants, a small trophy, along with the thrills and the memories, are enough.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9040 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2024 :  19:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and much of what Steve describes relates to the set-ups for the America's Cup (2-boat match races) and some related high-performance racing with a small number of boats. Technology allows more than onboard cameras and mics--it now provides VMG readings and overhead graphics showing who is actually leading by how much even where boats are on the opposite sides of the course.

USA Network will probably show something of these huge fleet races--is that where you saw it, Bruce? But it appears to rank below equestrian, table tennis, surfing (WOW!), and fencing.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2024 :  05:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I subscribe to Peacock TV so I can watch just about any event. I have been watching the big featured events like ladies gymnastics, basketball, swimming (which to me is boring), but have sampled lots of other sports: sailing, slalom canoe, mountain biking, badminton, and volleyball. Surfing has been pretty cool!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3319 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2024 :  08:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, it is the America Cup. Named after the yacht America which sailed across the Atlantic and beat the shxt out of the British boats in the "Around the Isle of Wight" island. It finished so far ahead that when Queen Victoria asked who was second the Commodore of the Royal Cowes Yacht Club (founded in 1825) said "Your Majesty, there is no second."

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9040 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2024 :  12:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Derek--your story is correct--it is the cup named for the yacht America. But I'll defer to the official site for the event for the name. Sorta like the award that I expect has now been named TSU's Cup by her long list of victims.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/03/2024 13:15:13
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3319 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2024 :  08:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2024 :  04:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the America Cup and viewing sailboat races, I still have a VCR tape of one of the America's Cup races from the 1980's. Camera was on an airplane and Gary Jobson is narrating. Great stuff! Gary is expelling what each crew is doing so you get some sense of what it is like on board.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2024 :  14:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So now we’re watching the Olympics closing ceremonies on our iPad. It was an amazing two weeks. USA tied the PRC with 40 gold medals. But the national pride and the camaraderie was the thing. We enjoyed the gymnastics, basketball, track&field, and of course sailing!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9040 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2024 :  10:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else see the "breaking" competition? Unbelievable! Maybe they'll have Moth class races in the LA Olympics, or kite surfing races on a course.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page