Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Report From San Carlos and Leak Resolution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keithsinger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/04/2015 :  21:02:56  Show Profile  Visit keithsinger's Homepage
Returned a few nights ago from a 9 day trip to San Carlos, Mexico with my wife and two young children, ages 3 and 1. We stayed every night but the last in our Catalina 25. The last night we stayed in a swank hotel. It's actually a little late in the season to cruise the Sea of Cortez. We saw a steady stream of large cruising sailboats coming out for thr summer. All in all, a good trip. We spent the first night at the marina on the trailer, the second two nights and second to last night at a slip, three nights at anchor in three different coves, and the final night in air conditioned resort comfort after storing the sailboat out of the water on its trailer at Marina Seca with the mast up. The only bad thing, and it was pretty bad, was that our Saturn inflatable dinghy and it's 6 hp engine were slolen in the middle of the night while we were anchored at San Pedro Bay, 15 miles north of San Carlos. Otherwise the Mexican people were altogether kind to our family. We had to come back to the docks a day early as a result, but otherwise it was a safe and enjoyable cruise. The kids had a great time and I'm pretty sure my wife liked it more than she thought she would. It was the first theft I've experienced in a decade of sailboat cruising trips. We can never get too complacent, lock everything that you don't want to lose. On a separate note, I figured out where my sailboat was letting in water, the depth sounder through hull. After it was sealed, we spent 8 days on the sea without a drop of intrusion and a completely dry bilge. I think our sailboats are well suited for the Baja. The pop top is perfect for the warm weather, among other attributes that make the Catalina 25 a solid coastal cruiser. However, after 7 nights aboard in warm humid weather with a wife, two young kids and only fans to cool us, I think a larger sailboat is in our future. Until then, I hope to have many more adventures in our Catalina 25 Wing. Check out my blog below for more.

Boker Tov 1987 Catalina 25 Wing Standard Rig http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lemmonsway/

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  04:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Great blog and nice adventures with your kids. Don't ever think about bigger boat, 25 or my 21 foots is enough

I'm taking my small sailboat to the coastal voyages this summer too.

PS: Sorry about your loss of the dinghy

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 05/05/2015 04:46:33
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  06:39:01  Show Profile
<< Don't ever think about bigger boat, >>

That pacific out there is big and cold

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page