Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you fixed/upgraded today?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2014 :  08:00:05  Show Profile
Looks good! your going to wonder how you lived without it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  21:23:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

Looks like I started a new project today! Winds were a little stronger than expected. One of my shrouds broke (the bolt broke that goes through the deck), and my outboard fell in the water while running. Really long story, really big job ahead.

Already pickled motor with Marvel Mystery Oil and I'm gonna clean the carb tomorrow and maybe try to start her back up.

Oh boy. This all happened on one outing? That is an unfortunate series of events, sorry sir. How did you get back to port without a motor and a damaged shroud?

We were almost able to make it back. We decided to drop the main and sail on just the jib (wrong tactic in hindsight I think. I'd love to hear thoughts on this). We were able to sail fine on the jib as long as we weren't to close to the wind. Every time we'd get to close, we wouldn't have enough control to keep the wind from pushing the bow away. We couldn't tack if we wanted to. We had to jibe to get across the wind (in my tall ship days we called this "waring" but we did it for different reasons). We couldn't make any headway towards the marina so we finally just sailed up to a private dock and tied up. I just got new insurance about a month ago that included a sea tow type of service, so I used it. The motor runs better than ever now. Cleaned the carb (not really necessary but I figured I might as well) and she started right up. Got the new beefier eyebolts in the mail today from CD to replace the bolts/chainplates for all 4 shrouds.

Things I wish I did differently:
1. The source of the problem was that I left an inexperienced guy at the helm and forgot to uncleat the main sheet before heading forward. Don't do that.
2. I think it would've been best to have reefed the main with the jib stowed, and sailed as close as possible on a stbd tack (port shroud broken) and reach on a port tack to maintain spacing from the shoreline. --I'd really love some thoughts/input on this--
3. The engine was still good when I got it out of the water. I could've pull the plugs, cycled the water out, put the plugs back in and she would've started back up. I didn't know at the time that no serious damage had been done to the engine, but I'd definitely try this in extreme situations in the future.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2014 :  14:41:29  Show Profile
You are lucky that the bolt broke instead of coming up through the deck. That happened to me in a regatta on our C-22. high wind, mast pumped, and the aft lower swaged through the fender washer below deck and came up through the deck, causing some damage to the deck. I used the opportunity to upgrade all of the deck eye-bolts!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2014 :  16:19:15  Show Profile
Picked up this dual function Led fixture I plan to mount on the underside of the pop top. Plan to wire it this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  08:45:54  Show Profile
How do you plan on running the wiring to the light so ithe light will function with the top up or down?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  09:11:58  Show Profile
Great idea, please show pictures on how you do the wiring. It would be nice to have a light on the top when it is up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  09:24:03  Show Profile
Well my camera isn't working on my iphone(previous bilge accident) but it's all mounted and wired. Hope a description will work lol. I mounted in central in the cabin and aft enough so it wouldn't get blocked by the deck when the pop top is up but enough to also light some of the deck which I think will be nice at anchor. The wire is nice marine duplex ran to the forward port pop top strut. There it turns with a small loop of slack and goes down the strut with zip ties and continues to the bulkhead and then to the port cabin light wiring. It is all exposed so I made sure to do it very clean with nice runs and fasteners everywhere. It works amazingly!! Really excited! Now I'm about to install a new larger negative bus bar and finish all the mast wiring inside the boat and deck connectors. Wish me luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  09:43:23  Show Profile
iPhone gods heard me...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  11:36:47  Show Profile
I'm guessin your gonna be smiling when you trade in for the newer phone.

Nice light!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2014 :  13:00:49  Show Profile
Haha yep. Got the new mast internal wiring, connector and bus bar installed and everything works great! New fixture is awesome, I will update down the road to let all know how it works out. Kind of want to replace all fixtures with this kind now. They have single units also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CZEZNGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1419105466&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  05:10:25  Show Profile
I have replaced all of the interior with the single ones and have one left. I like the idea of the overhead one-guess I have another project. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  06:46:23  Show Profile
Very neat wiring job on the light.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  09:28:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

I have replaced all of the interior with the single ones and have one left. I like the idea of the overhead one-guess I have another project. Thanks for the idea.

Did you use the same ones? Work well for you?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  17:00:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

Did you use the same ones? Work well for you?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  06:25:44  Show Profile
I bought some from Catalina Direct and some from the RV store (Camping World) The ones from Catalina Direct come with a square backing plate that I did not use on some locations. They are single light units. Sorry no photos of them.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1941_162/replacement-led-light-w-bezel-for-square-fixture.cfm

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  10:06:18  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Two things this weekend.
Figured out that the recently new LED trailer center tail light was blowing a fuse on my truck. Turned out the wire coming out of the lamp did not quite line up with the hole in the trailer and the kink was the source of the short. Fixed!

I had replaced the cabin top slider tape a few years ago, (how time flies), but it was peeling off.
The problem was that the tape is 3/4" wide and it adheres to a curved surface across that 3/4". So the long edges would peel up from the curve and the tape went down hill from there.

So I cut the 3/4" tape down to 3/8" and used just half of the roll that I purchased from Catalina Direct. It appears to be sticking to the surface a whole lot better. Will take pics next weekend.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  10:10:33  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
This is obviously a popular topic, it already has 9 pages.

Sadly a downside is that the topic is not relevant to a particular subject / project type. Someone looking for info about any of the topics mentioned here has to wade through 9 pages before perhaps finding something relevant.

Which means that your great ideas might not be seen

If you are starting a post about a new progect, please consider starting a new topic.

Thanks.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  11:37:53  Show Profile
<< Sadly a downside is that the topic is not relevant to a particular subject >>

Yepper.. If you had to search or comment or follow up on any given topic, they get buried... it was the new concept called a "thread" that this whole thing was designed around.

The "running tab" is the ability to add to the given topic later when you experience or wanna comment on the same things.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  14:06:01  Show Profile
I completely understand what you're both saying. It kind of has taken on a life of it's own (Most of the blame can be directed at me). The main idea was to have a place to give an update on what you're currently working on that maybe didn't require its own thread. Short little "Hey, just did this!" type of posts. If you wanted to give more detail, start a thread. Personally, I just wanted a place to post while I worked as a sort of record. I know if I had to start a thread for each task I would not be on the forums nearly as much. I do see how that can make searching a problem though.

I think that if people agree it's for the better to lock the thread then feel free.

-Rob

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2015 :  16:01:26  Show Profile
First boxes came!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  02:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I totally like that pic, every penny worth spent!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2015 :  07:11:03  Show Profile
Wow, I didn't know that CD sold Red Solo Cups...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  20:05:29  Show Profile
As you know, I just replaced all the fixtures in my boat with LEDs. You can find that here...
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28923

Also, just picked up one of these fangled golden rod dehumidifiers. We'll see how it does...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2015 :  23:26:23  Show Profile
I have several on my boat and tbey work great.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2015 :  06:36:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sailboat

I have several on my boat and tbey work great.

Are they fine in the winter? Should I leave on or shut off my vent fan?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page