Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bunk Threaded rods
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David Huffman
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/03/2013 :  07:49:39  Show Profile
Hi, I've rebuilt a power boat trailer into a sailboat trailer capable of hauling my cat 25. I used thick walled square aluminum tubing for the bunk posts. I would like to convert to threaded rods so the bunk can swivel. Anyone know whats the smallest threaded rod I can use. I've located 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2inch diameter rods. There are six bunks.

Kayaker Dave, refitting 1982 catalina 25. no sails, no motor, no cushions and trailer needs upgraded to handle 7,000 pound boat

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
This would be a lot easier if you had some pics to go by.

Is this trailer for road trailing or just haul to the hard standing from the water?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:52:42  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think mine are 3/4", but I can confirm this evening when I get home. Not sure if they're an ACME thread, or plain thread.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

David Huffman
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  19:24:34  Show Profile
This trailer will be doing long road hauls with boat, I'll try and get you pic tomorrow. Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  03:58:18  Show Profile
I have 6 bunks and they are steel 1" Acme Thread. You might want to consider rollers for the forward bunks. I have to lower my forward bunks to get the boat off the trailer. The hull has ablative and will not slide on the bunks.

Edited by - hewebb on 09/04/2013 03:58:52
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  06:21:12  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hewebb</i>
<br />I have 6 bunks and they are steel 1" Acme Thread. You might want to consider rollers for the forward bunks. I have to lower my forward bunks to get the boat off the trailer. The hull has ablative and will not slide on the bunks.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Are we talking about bunks or the square pads?

You might want to try some of these to get your boat to slide off and on easier --&gt;&gt; [url="http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=434194&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50802&subdeptNum=50814&classNum=50816#.UicwfMa1F7o"]Trailer Glyde Sticks[/url]

Edited by - GaryB on 09/04/2013 06:22:31
Go to Top of Page

Jefffriday
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  17:27:54  Show Profile
To get mine to slide, I rub bar soap on the bunks before I retrieve it and it slides on and off pretty easily...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  18:55:36  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefffriday</i>
<br />To get mine to slide, I rub bar soap on the bunks before I retrieve it and it slides on and off pretty easily...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Here's another option that's less expensive than the Glyde Sticks --&gt;&gt; [url="http://www.boatersland.com/mkt6810.html?gclid=CNWH9IGTs7kCFSdk7AodkgQA0Q"]Liquid Rollers[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2013 :  03:41:33  Show Profile
OOPS

Gary, you are correct I have pads not bunks. I plan to change the front pads to rollers. Been so busy changing the motor out that I have let that one slide.

I just checked another 25 on a trailer and it had 3/4" standard thread rod.

Howard

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlington
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
196 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2013 :  06:13:38  Show Profile
Hi David:
Welcome to the forum!
I wrote the following then I noticed that you don’t include what boat you have. Revise your ‘signature’ to include what kind of boat you have. Look at the signatures of others and you can figure it out. It would be good to provide a little more info in your bio as well. You will get a lot better information in your replies!

I started with a trailer that was originally built for a 25 ft. motor boat; it was modified to fit the C25 wing keel. It originally had bunks and they converted to have four adjustable, 1-ft square pads on 1" all thread resting in square steel tubing. These were a complete hassle, launching was okay, but retrieval was a nightmare. The pads bounce (on the hard) and rotate or pivot (in the water) when the boat is not on the trailer. More than once I had to wade into the water, down the boat ramp to turn or flip a pad around so I could get the boat back on the trailer.
I replaced the pads with one continuous 12' long, 1" X 8" bunk (the old pads were also 1" thick). This provided 1920-sq. inches of surface area on both sides, to hold the boat steady on the trailer vs. the previous 576-sq. inches of support. If I did it again, I would use a 2” X 8” instead of the 1" X 8"

All that being said if I could go back to square one, I would buy or build a trailer, designed like one that the boat originally came with. It seems that the sailors with factory built trailers have a lot less trouble launching and retrieving using the trailer. I hope someone with a factory built (Trailrite, or Easyloader…) trailer can provide some input here.
Doug

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

David Huffman
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2013 :  18:37:51  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm researching how to convert existing bunk posts from single pivot point swivels to 36 degree swivels using 1 inch threaded rod. This is for a tandem trailer. will send pics later.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

David Huffman
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2013 :  18:40:07  Show Profile
couldn't I make a plate for the threaded rod to pass through and bend the sides over the side of the square tubing and bolt through existing holes to hold bunks on trailer while loading boat at ramp?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2013 :  04:20:18  Show Profile
A steel angle iron with hole in the center on one leg to pivot on each side of the rod will work. I would suggest a 2 X 2 angle with 3/16 thick legs. ( I have seen smaller sizes but I tend to over build things) I can get a photo of mine with the pads to send you and that will also work for bunks. I would suggest 1/2 inch bolts to bolt thru the angle iron and rod

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page