Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 stern - starboard - cowling....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ronkmarsh
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/03/2013 :  04:36:59  Show Profile
need some help from you pro's please...on my 1984 Catalina 25 (and i suspect others)there are two stern SS cowling vents. The flex hose on the starboard side has come loose and needs replacing. When i crawled into the 1/4 berth and looked the problem, i realized there was no room to work a screwdriver to tighten the adjustable clamp that holds the hose to the receiving end of the cowling.

So...the question is...how the heck do I attach the new flex hose...do I have to remove the cowling...attach hose...then fish it back down the hole into the place where it's supposed to go.

Second question...i'm guessing the flex hose is for ventilation...although i really don't know where it goes yet. Can I just seal off the cowling and remove the hose entirely ? It's an outboard motor..but the gas tank is in the port locker..

any help is appreciated...thank you.

Ron

Ron Marshall

Edited by - on

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  06:44:53  Show Profile
My 82 has a sealed gas locker on the port side which I assume that yours does to. In which case I see no need for the cowling vent. But that just my opinion and not to be confused with people that really know what they are talking about.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  07:45:19  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
In my humble opinion, YES, you not only need the vent pipe installed properly, you need a powered VENT designed to eliminate gas vapors fromthe inside of your tank area. If you cant use a screwdriver to tighten a stainless steel strap, you might try plastic wire tie with this gun that tightens it quickly and easily.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-241/Cable-Tie-Guns-Mounts/Economy-Cable-Tie-Gun?pricode=WU327& gadtype=pla& id=34660923682& gclid=CP3W2t-6r7kCFSdk7Aod4AgAIA& gclsrc=aw.ds

IMPROPER GASOLINE VENTING: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-241/Cable-Tie-Guns-Mounts/Economy-Cable-Tie-Gun?pricode=WU327& gadtype=pla& id=34660923682& gclid=CP3W2t-6r7kCFSdk7Aod4AgAIA& gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  10:49:17  Show Profile
You must be mistaken on your boat year, an 84 does not use those cowls because the gas is not inside the boat. UNLESS you have an inboard, do you have an inboard.

You can see from FTWORTH"S HUGE SIG that he has an older boat which has a different deck and cockpit than your boat.

Edited by - pastmember on 09/03/2013 10:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:15:33  Show Profile
I had the same reaction--not on an '84. Your boat must be older--I'm thinking they added the cockpit locker and removed the vents around 1981--could be wrong. (Got the hull number or Hull Information Number?)

You're not required to have a <i>powered</i> vent unless the engine is an inboard. Your vents face forward on one side and aft on the other, with a hose from the starboard vent to the port locker so just about any air movement will circulate through the locker where your tank is and mitigate fumes.

I can't picture your access problem, so have no suggestions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:40:28  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...do I have to remove the cowling...attach hose...then fish it back down the hole into the place where it's supposed to go.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I don't have those vents so I'm venturing a guess here. I would say that if you can't acess the hose clamp from inside then remove the cowling from the outside, Tighten the hose clamp and re-bed the cowling. Probably how Catalina did it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:54:25  Show Profile
I ran into the same problem trying to reconnect mine. As I recall I removed the vent but the hole was so small it would not permit the hose and vent to re-insert. I finally went down below and through perserverance finally attahced it. It took about ten tries but I finally got it done. If you are going to use the hose clamp try a socket on the end of a flexible 1/4" socket driver. You could probably just use a cable tie as was previouly suggested. Or open up the hole enough to allow the hose, vent and clamp to pass. When you finally get frustrated enough you will find a solution.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ronkmarsh
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
20 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  17:53:31  Show Profile
thank you all so much for the advice...appreciate it.

ok..so...both vents face the stern...the gas tank line feeds through the vent out of the port locker to the mounted outboard. Someone mentioned that one vent faces to the bow..and the other to the stern...not on my boat.

the last response about using a socket on the adjustable clamp might work as well. There is no room to move a screwdriver.

Sorry..i don't know the hull number or hull information..yet....guess I should make a note of that....

if i knew how to attach a photo of the stern...i would. Some of you mentioned that the boat may not be a 1984..i will also have to look into that.

thanks for explaining what the flex hose is for. I knew ventilation..just wasn't sure where it started from in the boat.

so much to learn...

cheers,

Ron

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2013 :  18:11:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ronkmarsh</i>
<br />ok..so...both vents face the stern...the gas tank line feeds through the vent out of the port locker to the mounted outboard. Someone mentioned that one vent faces to the bow..and the other to the stern...not on my boat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A previous owner appears to have turned the port cowl vent around to route the fuel line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  08:35:16  Show Profile
The original way the vents were placed was with the port vent facing the bow and the starboard vent facing the stern. This was to allow air to be forced into the locker through the port vent and exit through the starboard vent. If they are both facing the same direction, while underway, you will have equalized pressure and the vent will not be as efficient. The hose from the starboard vent runs to the bottom of the port compartment and its end should be visible. If there is jusrt a 3" hole then the hose has been misplaced. I am not even sure you need a hose on the port vent. Mine has a hose that feed down to the bottom of the locker but the only exit from the locker is the vent hole so not sure it serves any real purpose.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  08:51:18  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
I have a 1978 C25 that does have the ss vents, port side facing forward and starboard side facing aft ( I wondered why it was this way since I would assume that you would want the shortest distance from where gasoline fumes <i><b>might </b></i> reside and venting to outside). As I open the port side hatch-door, there is a molded shelf specifically designed for my outboard motor's external tank. On hot days, if I forget to close the vent on the cap to the tank, it can develop gasoline fumes - <b>gasoline' fumes are heavier than air, so they sink.</b> - hence the need to extend the hose to the bottom of the containment area and vent this area adequately.

For those with later model C25's, where do you keep your external fuel tank(s)? That area is where you should have ventilation.

Powered Vents are not absolutely necessary, however on those very hot Texas summer days, I prefer to have the ability to vent these gasoline fumes out and .

(and I downsized my HUGE SIG picture and added one of my 78')

Edited by - ftworthsailor on 09/04/2013 09:22:45
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  10:05:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ftworthsailor</i>
<br />I have a 1978 C25 that does have the ss vents, port side facing forward and starboard side facing aft (I wondered why it was this way since I would assume that you would want the shortest distance from where gasoline fumes <i><b>might </b></i> reside and venting to outside).

I agree with you. Seems like you would want the fresh air coming in on the right and blowing the fumes out the port side vent so you don't blow the fumes through the bilge and then out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  12:20:49  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ftworthsailor</i>
<br />I have a 1978 C25
if I forget to close the vent on the cap to the tank, it can develop gasoline fumes -
For information on how I took care of my fuel venting on a 1979, see my entry in a recent topic called “Fuel Locker and Battery Cables” in the 25 Specific forum, and you will never have to mess with the vent on your tank again

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  13:41:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and you will never have to mess with the vent on your tank again<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Unless your tank cap is loose and sloshes gas or you spill gas while refueling. But I like your idea.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  13:48:16  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
My tank cap isn't loose, however it does have a screw-on vent at the top that needs to be open in order to run the outboard engine. I would assume that after I get out of the bay that our marina is located within, and get the sails up, I shut off the outboard....but rarely tighten the vent on the cap. If I am sailing in some good winds, I presume that the sloshing of gas as I tack back and forth, could cause vapors to escape and thus cause the need for a ventilation capability.....

Edited by - ftworthsailor on 09/04/2013 14:59:36
Go to Top of Page

Sloop Smitten
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1181 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  14:36:12  Show Profile
Glen installed a separate fuel tank vent in the thread he listed, hence his comment. That alleviates the need to open the fuel cap vent on the tank.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2013 :  15:45:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[i]
(and I downsized my HUGE SIG picture and added one of my 78')

Those are both great shots.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page