Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 CDI Furler Halyard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/05/2012 :  19:23:05  Show Profile
My CDI Furler is supposed to have an internal halyard although half of it is outside the track and a very light line (3/16") coupled to a slightly heavier line (maybe 1/4"). I was able to hoist the jib with considerable effort but the halyard has no opening at the bottom. Is something configured wrong? I'm thinking it would be helpful to have a single block attached to the base of the furler and a cam cleat attached to the foil. Am i off base here? Is there a better way to tie off the halyard?

Do tell,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT

Edited by - on

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2012 :  08:10:05  Show Profile
Brian, here's a link to the manual for the CDI FF4: http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF4&6%20manual%207_06.pdf

It will probably answer your questions. I wouldn't put a cleat on on the foil -- too much opportunity for fouling the lines, spoiling sail shape, weakening the foil, etc.

The only modification I made to the instructions is to use a heavier line when hoisting the headsail. I tie a 1/4" line to the halyard, bowline-to-bowline. It makes sliding the sail up the track much easier. Then I detach it and tie the halyard off to one of the shackles on the drum. The tack of the headsail is tied off to the other shackle. Hope this helps.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
396 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2012 :  18:40:49  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, the PO included that manual with the boat but the only thing I noticed is that the halyard is pinched very tightly in the track when the jib is almost fully raised, that made me think the there should be an opening like whats on the other side of the foil for the sail feed. So far everything is working fine but I find it awkward to pull down on the halyard (specially when it is the last foot or two) when I could be pulling up if there was a swivel block on the base shackle. Just a thought. Thanks for the help, I'll hold off on the cam cleat and work the process outlined in the CDI manual.

Best regards,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

keeldad
1st Mate

Members Avatar

84 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2012 :  09:57:45  Show Profile
On the FF4 furler, there is a "decored" halyard that rides in the slot. There is a reference to this on page 9 of the instruction manual. I assume it was designed that way to keep the halyard enclosed in the roller mechanism but allowing enough space at the bottom to pull on. Whatever the reason, please make sure the decored end is the end that IS NOT attached to the sail. I speak from experience. If the decored end is tied to the sail, it will jump off the sheave and jam the halyard. I learned that lesson several years ago after taking off the jib to reduce windage in preparation for an approaching tropical storm. After the storm passed, I tried to raise the jib and put the decored part on the wrong end. I got the jib about 3/4 of the way up, the decored end slipped off the sheave and firmly jammed. Because there was no core, it jammed hard and there was no way to loosen it without taking the mast down. Fortunately it was near the end of the season so I called it quits for the year.
Another issue I found this year concerning the FF4 halyard sheave; older ones get worn and the halyard tends to jump off them. My jib halyard jumped off twice this spring when I tried to raise the jib. Normally I would have had to lower the mast to fix this but since I was still in the yard, the yard crew was kind enough to give me a ride to the top of the mast on their crane. Here's a tip for living...let the yard crew know there's a case of "thank you" beer for them for helping you out. Just don't tell them where it is until after they bring you back down.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page