Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 mooring ball bumping hull
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diySailor
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/01/2012 :  19:14:17  Show Profile
Anyone have a solution to prevent a mooring ball from hitting the hull at night when there's no wind to keep the boat from drifting up along side the mooring? Sure makes for a tough night's sleep.

Rog&Barb
1983 Catalina 25 SR/FK
HYC Hull, MA

Edited by - on

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2012 :  20:11:33  Show Profile
PVC pipe between where the line is secured on deck and the ball, and pad the boat end. Lead the line through the pipe. I recommend tying off to both bow cleats to reduce hunting and would suggest PVC on both leads. A stern anchor.

Edited by - Dave5041 on 09/01/2012 20:15:52
Go to Top of Page

diySailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2012 :  18:39:30  Show Profile
Thanks for the PVC pipe idea Dave. Not sure if that would work if the current caused the bow to pivot around the ball though. Can't drop the stern anchor in a mooring field. Only idea I could think of was an inner tube over the mooring ball otherwise I'll be the only Catalina with a bowsprit!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2012 :  06:52:59  Show Profile
Using the 2 part approach to both cleats triangulates the system so the boat and PVC act as a single unit pivoting around the ball and would probably be ok, but a strong current might be to much for PVC and the narrow base. With a single pipe, the whole system pivots around the ball, but the boat can scribe a large arc around the end of the PVC and potentially come along side the ball.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4004 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2012 :  13:11:09  Show Profile
I don't understand how the PVC approach would work. Wouldn't the pipe just fold/pivot at the cleats. I think you would end up with the ball and PVC pipe banging on your hull. I see this problem all the time in the mooring field outside my Marina. Some of the boats have had the ball rub through their boot stripe and has severely chafed the gel coat. I'm surprised there isn't a fix, Maybe something like a ball cozy.
Edit.. OK so I thought about this and yes it would probably keep the ball away but now the PVC pipe would be rolling up and down along the bow with every little wave. I don't think I would want that either so back to the ball cozy.

Edited by - islander on 09/04/2012 13:21:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  09:58:46  Show Profile
The PVC goes all the way from the cleats to the ball with the boat end padded. It doesn't move much, but it is only for light conditions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2012 :  20:07:25  Show Profile
You could also try mooring stern-to. The hull shape's natural forward motion would then ease the boat away from the mooring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

diySailor
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2012 :  18:01:45  Show Profile
Thanks for the mooring stern-to idea; seems like a simple no cost possible solution for windless nights (what are we missing). At least if the mooring ball hits the stern and one's asleep in the bow the noise should be less.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page