Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Interior Lights
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NautiC25
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/18/2009 :  13:59:55  Show Profile
I want to change out the interior fixtures for LED's and a fresher look. Academy has some cheap ones that are frosted domed with a switch.
Before I can swap out fixtures, I need to know what's under the existing rectangular ones, and if I need to cover up anything with the new fixtures. How are they attached to the hull?

Thanks.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas

Edited by - on

Rich P
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
77 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  15:30:01  Show Profile
There is a hole that the wires come down through about 1/2-3/4". There are two screws that hold the light to the ceiling. As long as the new light covers the screw holes, you are fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  15:33:31  Show Profile
The base has a couple of screws that can be filled, and they will probably be covered by your new fixture. The wiring comes in from the side - the channel in the liner.Keep in mind that while frosted domes soften the light, they also absorb a significant amount of it. I also had to switch my leads to the lamp for proper polarity. We now have much lower current draw and a brighter cabin.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1520 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  17:22:45  Show Profile
I just switched to LED bulbs and reversed the polarity of the cabin light circuit so they could function.

Last summer I also added 6 - 3-position stick-on LED circular disk lights, putting 3 on the port ceiling of the cabin and 3 on starboard. They're simple and add a lot of light with little pain. Each cost about $6 at Lowe's hardware and came with batteries. When pressed in the center, either 1, 2, or 3 LED's fire up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  18:56:14  Show Profile
Thanks guys! Do you know about how far apart the screw holes are? The dome light was about 5" wide, so if the holes are less than that, it should cover them up.

I'll take a trip to Lowes. Maybe I can do both if they're similar in design.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  21:01:01  Show Profile
When you get them installed, let me know how they compare in brightness to the old incandescent bulbs. I put an LED 12 element array into one of the starboard fixtures, and while it sheds some light, it is not as bright as the old incandescent bulb.
The array was also not sensitive to polarity, as it did not matter which way I connected it up. It must have some kind of built-in voltage inverter.

Edited by - Voyager on 12/18/2009 22:28:49
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2009 :  07:21:58  Show Profile
Am I the only one that doesn't like LED light? I hate it. It just isn't bright unless it is shining right into your eyes. The mechanics all have LED flashlights. When I turn on my Pelican, they all turn off their lights.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1520 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:06:18  Show Profile
You're right about the glary bluish light from LED's.

I replaced the 5 cabin incandescent light bulbs with 32-LED bulbs, and I added a curved piece of an aluminum sheet (used for flashing in roofs) inside the fixture to redirect the light downward, since many of the LED's point the wrong way. With the white plastic cover on the light fixture the blue color is filtered a bit.

I also tried putting a pale yellow, or a light yellow or a medium yellow acrylic sheet into the square plastic cover of the fixture, but they only made the light become greenish which was no improvement.

The benefit of having cabin lights (and an anchor light) that can burn for days without draining the battery outweighs the color issue, in my opinion.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2009 :  18:13:26  Show Profile
I bought the West Marine $19.95 LED specials and they are working fine. Yes, they are round vs. square and I became creative with installation, but they work great and I have red or white light at an affordable price.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2009 :  18:55:13  Show Profile
Two of my cabin lights were missing. I bought two ugly fixtures off eBay and made teak frames for them. They have two bulbs, one festooned and the other is a 3 watt night light. I think they look kinda nice.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deric
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
408 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2009 :  17:03:59  Show Profile
When I replaced the lights on my 78 Cat with LEDS I merely unscrewed the housing from the underside, cut the wires, switched the wiring -- black to white and white to black, and re-attached the wiring. Worked.

I had a LED warm light, which is most akin to the old light, and a super bright light, which is blueish and very bright. A placed a few red LEDs for night navigation.

The job of replacing the LEDS is easy enough to take on.

Best,
Deric

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2009 :  21:12:15  Show Profile
As I mentioned above, I replaced some lights with LEDs, but retained several of the conventional incandescent bulbs. My main light, however, is a "GE Steelbeam" fluorescent lantern that I generally hang over the dinette table.

See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B001TAFN02/sr=8-3/qid=1261455028/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&qid=1261455028&sr=8-3

It produces a very warm and bright fluorescent light in the cabin which is excellent for reading, fixing meals or doing most things at night. Because it is a lantern, I can move it around and use it where I need it. I will supplement this light with the built-ins as needed.

I purchased two of them at Costco some time ago, however they no longer carry them. I have found them at Amazon and if either broke, I'd replace it immediately.

The fixture uses 4 - D cell batteries, which I have replaced with rechargeable NiMH AA cells. Having rechargeable batteries is the only way to go, because I can recharge them from the main battery and solar cells.

I also have a Coleman rechargeable dual fluorescent lantern, but the color temperature is too cold (blueish) and the brightness is noticeably less than that of the Steelbeam.

Two negatives for these lanterns are: (1) batteries can corrode the terminals (a conventional alkaline leaked) and (2) the bulb is NOT user- replaceable.

I hope the bulb never dies

Edited by - Voyager on 12/21/2009 21:14:21
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2009 :  20:03:18  Show Profile
Another comment -- we just had a power failure this evening. Even tho it was short (about 1/2 an hour), my trusty steelbeam allowed us to finish our meal, and get around the house without tripping over everything.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5880 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2009 :  20:15:46  Show Profile
For anyone replacing their light fixtures, I suggest you look in an RV parts store. I needed a light fixture for my engine room, and found them to be expensive at West Marine (no surprise there), but found a nice one for about 1/3 the price at an RV parts store.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2009 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />For anyone replacing their light fixtures, I suggest you look in an RV parts store. I needed a light fixture for my engine room, and found them to be expensive at West Marine (no surprise there), but found a nice one for about 1/3 the price at an RV parts store.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Steve,
West Marine sells an LED interior light for $20

Do you have a manufacturer or SKU # for a cheaper alternative?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4291 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2009 :  22:37:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br /> (2) the bulb is NOT user- replaceable.

I hope the bulb never dies

Looks like it might be awhile before you have to worry about that!

<i><font color="blue">From the REI website:</font id="blue"></i>

<i><font color="blue">The rugged General Electric SteelBEAM lantern is an essential item for any car camping adventure or home emergency kit.
•Rugged ABS plastic and stainless-steel body endures use around the house and in the outdoors; stainless-steel cage around globe adds protection
•Long-life triphosphor fluorescent bulb gives off warm white light;</font id="blue"></i> <b></b><font color="red">bulb is rated to last up to 8,000 hrs.</font id="red">
<i><font color="blue">•Lantern operates up to 16 hrs. on 4 D batteries, sold separately
•Convenient hanging hook and carrying grip come in handy at the home and around the campsite</font id="blue"></i>

Edited by - GaryB on 12/22/2009 22:40:23
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  05:00:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peregrine</i>

Those lamps look like a direct replacement for the C250 cabin dome lamps. We have 4 of the original onboard JD, Think I'll get one and check it out. (will look at the power consumption of existing dome lamp first)

We're really interested in LED replacements for the existing cabin lights above the table.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5880 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  06:16:00  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peregrine</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />For anyone replacing their light fixtures, I suggest you look in an RV parts store. I needed a light fixture for my engine room, and found them to be expensive at West Marine (no surprise there), but found a nice one for about 1/3 the price at an RV parts store.

Steve,

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That fixture wasn't on display at my local West Marine store when I looked. The least expensive comparable fixture they had in stock was $25-30. The light I bought was $9.98. and looked about like the WM light you posted. I threw the packaging away when I installed the light, so can't tell you who made it. So far, the light has worked at least as well as a $20-30 WM light.

WM has very little serious competition for the yacht parts business, but many RV parts are used on boats as well as other RVs, and there are thousands of independently owned RV parts stores, as well as national chains, all competing for business. If you need a stock RV part, you can often get it much cheaper at an RV store than at WM.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  07:01:39  Show Profile
My WM had those expensive chrome round LED lamps on display with power. They were VERY bright compared to the smaller cheaper ones, and had a clear glass lens. Even the red was bright. I would love to have those installed. The problem was the $85 price tag.
Here they are: http://doctorled.com/p24.htm

Here they are for $63. http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/3729/%20Mars%20Dome%E2%84%A2%20LED%20Cabin%20Light

Edited by - NautiC25 on 12/23/2009 07:15:53
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  10:41:21  Show Profile
Exterior Surface Mount Dome Light
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=16321F&WT.mc_id=gb1

$52 bucks. I'm happy with this light as a primary when I need good bright light. I like this light when I'm need light to see what I'm doing clearly, but I don't like it on all the time, very annoying point source light, like having a street lamp running.

The thing probably draws .6 amps and the WM LEDS draw .06 so you could install 10 WM LEDS for each of these.

I found the WM LED lamps to be pretty low on light, but relatively pleasant light compared to other LED colors I've seen. Coming through the plastic dome cover it helped with the color and dispersion but the lamp is not a lot of light.

I ended up mounting 2 on one side and 3 on another and one overhead the table on my boat and I love em, but it was a bit of work to mount them all and run the line. Even after all this it is still rather low light levels, you can turn on the old lamp over the cooler and it looks much brighter and yellower.

I found they (WM) were very good for the small spaces on the boat, such as a reading lamp in the aft berth. Much more pleasant for use up close. I still want to add one on both sides of the frward berth. They would work great there, giving you a nice light coming from both sides. And the red is great for night vision.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  17:06:57  Show Profile
I went to Ikea last week for something else and found a very cool LED desk lamp called the JANSJÖ Table lamp for $39.99. Since it runs on a 12VDC adapter, it should be easy to adapt to boat power.

Here's the link:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2009 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
There's enough typo's on the ikea page to suggest the numbers are wrong
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Energy consumption: 4.2W. Diod life approx. 50.000 hours.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Can't be right! 4.2W, 50 hours!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2009 :  07:38:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />I went to Ikea last week for something else and found a very cool LED desk lamp called the JANSJÖ Table lamp for $39.99. Since it runs on a 12VDC adapter, it should be easy to adapt to boat power.

Here's the link:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

That would make a great lamp anywhere on the boat. Point and light.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2009 :  09:01:57  Show Profile
You pay for three things at a marine store - "marine", brand name, and durability in a marine environment - in varying mixes of percentages. I bought the expensive ones at WM on sale over time, and I'm very glad that I did. They are excellent lights with great output, wide coverage, and no hot spots.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2009 :  22:49:46  Show Profile
Many countries in Europe exchange "." for "," in numbers in a very confusing way to North Americans.

It's sort of like switching the order of DD/MM/YYYY instead of the US custom of MM/DD/YYYY for dates. I remember the first time I tried to figure out the following:

Our summer weekend activity will begin on 10/07/200X and end on 12/07/200X. Said to myself, "why would summer activities start in October and end in December?"

Of course, this was a weekend in July.

For example, 50,00 means 50 euros, pounds, dollar and no cents. 50.000 on the other hand stands for fifty thousand (hours in this case).

When I saw it in the store, the light is quite bright, and the fixture gets quite warm, so I would not be surprised if the light took 12 Volts at 350 mA.

Compare that to a 25W incandescent, which takes almost 6 times as much power. Further, high intensity halogens take almost 12 times as much power, much of it is wasted in heat.

They did spell Diode incorrectly, however.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2009 :  10:55:01  Show Profile
Looking at the round dome lights from West Marine pictured above, and while they are probably of excellent qulaity and durability, I would like to try out an RV fixture. Anybody know where they sell them?

At the price, even if it only lasts a few years before it self descructs, it would be a great replacement for one or more of the incandescent light fixtures.

LED technology is still in a transitional phase, where in a few years, they will likely be brighter, give off a more pleasant light and will be more plentiful (less expensive).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page