Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 I'm Baaaaack
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/14/2009 :  09:42:53  Show Profile
Hi All, As you may or may not remember, I sold my C25 (La Tina Caliente) and bought a 1958 36' wood Sparkman and Stevens. WELL. time got back ($$$) and the boat needed 10K in repairs so I sold it to someone who could afford that. I also missed jumping on my C25 and by the time the engine was warmed up, I was ready to go. So now I am looking for another C25, at a very slow pace, and look forward to trouble free sailing.

Dennis
No Boat
S.E. Michigan

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  11:11:53  Show Profile
Welcome, welcome welcome... Personally I think the lookin stage is one of my favorites. I almost hate it when I find the one I want.

I think I'd like to tell them I'm lookin to buy, would like to take the boat out for a trial run, and show up with a cooler of beer, steaks and sheets for an overnighter!

Have fun kickin the tires, and hull tappin, and Hmmmm what's behind here..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  11:21:51  Show Profile
Welcome back Dennis. Good luck with the search.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  12:16:38  Show Profile
Perfect timing for a sea trial... Welcome back!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  12:35:46  Show Profile
Thanks All. I've looked at a number of near free 25ers from other companies but never liked the build and function quality as well as the Catalinas. It is deap winter here so I have time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  12:42:00  Show Profile
Look at [url="http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-CATALINA-YACHTS-sloop-94090733"]this one[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2009 :  13:49:39  Show Profile
Thanks John. I bought my first C25 for $1,500.00 and really enjoyed fixing her up. That is what I want to do again. It may take some time, but I want to make it my own through the process.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Otey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  06:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Dave Otey's Homepage
Welcome back Dennis. Will you be looking for a trailerable? Sailing on Lake St Clair ? I'll check with the Clinton River Catalina Association members to see if they have any leads. Good luck with your search.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  06:48:00  Show Profile
Welcome back from another Lake St Clair sailor. Best of luck on your hunting

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  09:29:53  Show Profile
Hi Dave and Glen. Yes, I will be sailing out of North Star Sail Club. Don't need a swing keel as I have no intention of trailoring it anywhere. Fix or wing is good. Tall rig preferable but not a deal killer. THanks for asking around. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  09:53:15  Show Profile
I think there might be a fixer upper at the Hood River Marina.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  10:31:56  Show Profile
Welcome Back Dennis,
I thought you had a Hinckley.

There ought be plenty of 25's lying around.
I'll sell you mine for $10,000.00. I'm taking a loss on it and it's about 75% done. LOL For as much as I am spending on this rattle trap, I could have bought 4 C25's. However, the new Dark Blue gelcoat with the white boot stripe looks awsome. I'll be polishing it all winter. .015" brand new gelcaot. It'll last another 40 years. Especially if I never get it out of the pole barn. Ugh.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  15:33:52  Show Profile
Yep, we thought it was a Hinckley, but further investigation reveiled it to be an S&S designed hull and sailplan. The rest is pure custom from Norway.

I'll check out Hood River. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  16:05:55  Show Profile
Bargain Tall Rig.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/1499377566.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1520 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  16:28:31  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by djn</i>
...and look forward to trouble free sailing.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I guess troubles are all relative! I've had no trouble with my fin keel, no trouble with my running rigging, no trouble with my ground tackle, no trouble with sailing conditions (except for one sneaky thunderstorm with downbursts) on the Chesapeake, and no trouble buying the boat with cash.

All-in-all, my Catalina has been trouble-free, except for all the little troubles!!!

Welcome back, Dennis, to the carefree life of the Catalina owner!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  18:50:57  Show Profile
WOW! the C25 in Texas looks sweet, and the price is sweeter! But now, who's gonna sail it all the way back to Michigan?

I guess if you start now, you might make it back before July!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2009 :  20:44:30  Show Profile
Yah Voyager, that would go over really well with my wife. ;&gt;) I need to find one locally. I look forward to a fixer-upper.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2009 :  07:24:53  Show Profile
There is a Capri in Port Huron.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2009 :  14:33:37  Show Profile
Yep, besides being very stable in wicked weather and very comfortable, it was for the most part trouble free. The things that did need attention were fun to mess witl. I always loved getting new shiney stainless steel parts from CD.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnP</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by djn</i>
...and look forward to trouble free sailing.

I guess troubles are all relative! I've had no trouble with my fin keel, no trouble with my running rigging, no trouble with my ground tackle, no trouble with sailing conditions (except for one sneaky thunderstorm with downbursts) on the Chesapeake, and no trouble buying the boat with cash.

All-in-all, my Catalina has been trouble-free, except for all the little troubles!!!

Welcome back, Dennis, to the carefree life of the Catalina owner!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2009 :  14:35:34  Show Profile
Hi Happy, the Capri is a lot smaller inside isn't it? I always thought so at least. The C25 is about as small as I can handle......a touch of cloustrophobia (SP)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2009 :  14:54:19  Show Profile
Don't know. I've never seen a Capri but I think they are beamier and the same length so they would be bigger I thought?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2009 :  16:49:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Happy D</i>
<br />Don't know. I've never seen a Capri but I think they are beamier and the same length...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...and "sleeker" (the Capri 25) with wider side-decks, lower doghouse, lower freeboard, and flatter under-body--thus considerably less headroom. The Capri 26 is another matter--closer to a C-27 in its accommodations.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 12/16/2009 16:52:28
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2009 :  16:20:27  Show Profile
I looked at the data for both the capri 25 and 26. I like the C25 better. Don't know why, just do. A C27 might work if I found a deal I could not pass up, but that is even more than I am looking for at the moment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2009 :  14:12:05  Show Profile
Good to hear from you again Dennis. Didn't respond quicker because we've been on traveling the past week and didn't have wifi access. Glad to here you are looking for a C-25 and I hope that when you find it, you will take part in the Clinton River Catalina Association activities again. Maybe this time we can even talk you into racing. Good luck with the search and I will also keep an eye out and an ear to the ground (eventhough it makes walking diffucult) for a C-25 for you to fix-up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2009 :  08:16:42  Show Profile
Thanks Renzo. Money is still pretty tight, but I'm sure something will come along. I got into racing with my last boat and look forward to racing a C25. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page