Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cushions/Covers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andypavo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/30/2009 :  18:41:18  Show Profile
I'm refitting my 1980 C25 and the seat cushions are very 1980. They are so earthtone ugly it's depressing. I wouldn't mind some nice seat covers in some more fashionable solid colors. As it stands, if someone vomited on my seats, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Any recommendations?

Andy Ballard
1980 Hull #2122
SR/SK
"Brahma Fear"
Moultrie, GA

Edited by - on

Dave Otey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2009 :  19:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Dave Otey's Homepage
I favor <font color="red"><b>red</b></font id="red"> or <font color="blue"><b>blue</b></font id="blue">. I enjoy a patriotic theme.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Gauntt
Navigator

Members Avatar

204 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2009 :  22:27:29  Show Profile
Andy,

I made my own out of navy blue.

Buying new ones, while looking mahhhvelous, are very expensive. There are several threads on this very subject. I'd read those first. If you have any questions about making your own, shoot me a note.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2009 :  12:36:46  Show Profile
We replaced the cushions in our dinette interior immediately upon buying the boat--it did wonderful things from the Admiral's perspective--particularly for our four-day/three-night delivery trip home. (I liked them too...) We used new foam, an inch thicker than original, topped by a fiber mat and covered with Sunbrella upholstery fabric (like linen--not canvas). They were made by an auto upholsterer who did, in our opinion, a great job. Total cost for 12 cushions was a little under 20 Boat Units ($2K). A traditional interior with 9 cushions would have been roughly 3/4 of that--the cost per cushion had little to do with its size.

Here she was...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

MiNO
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2009 :  14:41:41  Show Profile
I did a bunch or research on buying cushions. You can get the entire set of cushions from the Catalina dealer. They sent me some samples and they look good. It costs $1500 for all of them, which is really not too bad. Problem is, that is still a lot of money to sink into my 78 25' catalina.

My friend told me a great way to make cushions without sewing anything, and I am in the process of doing this:
use cheap plywood or whatever you have for the bottom of the cushion, place the foam on top of that, then wrap the fabric around the foam and staple the fabric to the back of the wood. I bought 4 inch foam rolls off ebay for under $50 bucks each. I haven't got the fabric yet, and I don't think I will go with Sunbrella, I might get something cheaper.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2009 :  15:00:35  Show Profile
Clever Kurt. I'd make sure you add some kind of non-slip to the bottoms or you'll find them sliding off with every tack do to the added weight of the plywood..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2009 :  15:32:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MiNO</i>
<br />...use cheap plywood or whatever you have for the bottom of the cushion, place the foam on top of that, then wrap the fabric around the foam and staple the fabric to the back of the wood...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The teak fiddles along the seat fronts should hold them in place... But this could be quite cumbersome for getting the big cushions into and out of the V-berth and quarterberth, due to weight and rigidity. I suspect you'd end up using some foul language every time you tried.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5298 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2009 :  20:25:38  Show Profile
I use rug backing material available at any dept store. It looks like a honeycomb of polyurethane foam usually rolled up in 12 foot x 18 inch rolls.

At home, I use it under throw rugs and hall carpets. On the boat, I use small placemats of it under anything that might slip off the counter, off the table, or the cockpit seats.

You could staple or glue (spray adhesive) to the bottom of the plywood, so at least when you're cursing at the cushions, they will stay put!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crcalhoon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
303 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2009 :  08:40:47  Show Profile
I believe that there was an article on this procedure in Good Old Boat magazine about 4 years ago. The writer stated that she and her husband had done this on several boats. They recommended 1/4" plywood for the bases. However they specified to coat the ply with epoxy resin, particularly the edges, prior to assembly. Also don't forget to use either stainless or monel staples.
I am in the same boat as you. My C25 is a 1979 model. I sail on a small inland lake with no overnights and little reason to ever go below. I simply cannot justify a significant expense for cushions within this context. I have considered this option for some time. Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crcalhoon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
303 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2009 :  08:45:11  Show Profile
A further thought. Reading Dave's post above, I agree. When I have considered it I have generally ignored the V-berth and Quarter berth and have confined my thinking to the main cabin. These cushions are pretty straightforward, except for the seat cushion on the starboard side, which needs to be cut a little--I would think--too accomodate the curve of the hull. Or maybe not.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2009 :  10:09:26  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crcalhoon</i>
<br />I sail on a small inland lake with no overnights and little reason to ever go below. I simply cannot justify a significant expense for cushions within this context.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I too use my boat primarily for sailing as well and can't justify the cost of new cushions, but I have thought of making simple slip covers to put over the existing cushions.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1756 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2009 :  15:47:50  Show Profile
A couple of random comments. First, as of @ a month ago Catalina Yachts had raised their pricing for a compete set of cushions to @$4k. Second, most people do not need all cushions - but only some replaced. In my case it's the "main" cabin settee cushions that need replacing -- the others could be re-covered or just reused. So, if matching perfection is not the goal but serviceability is, the cost should be more reasonable. Finally, many have great skill and experience making their own -- just make sure you have the time and patience to embark on such a project. Nothing worse than staring a project and then spending more money to fix or complete it than if you just had outsourced it in the beginning.

Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2009 :  21:03:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigelowp</i>
<br />...Second, most people do not need all cushions - but only some replaced. In my case it's the "main" cabin settee cushions that need replacing -- the others could be re-covered or just reused. So, if matching perfection is not the goal but serviceability is, the cost should be more reasonable...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Peter, with absolutely all due respect, I'd have to guess that you do not have an Admiral weighing in on that position... Unfortunately, I no longer do either, but when I did, the value equation was different. For guys who are trying to engage their "Admirals" in the experience, I would suggest that this <i>might</i> be a place to start. Let the interior be hers, and the exterior be yours--and be open to investing in both. I upgraded the engine and running rigging (leading it to the cockpit), and she upgraded the cabin with cushions that were much nicer to sit on, sleep on, look at, and smell!

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 12/06/2009 21:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  11:44:46  Show Profile
I have a 79 Catalina 25 fin keel with the "L" shaped dinette, the table is on a pedestal and drops to make a bed. My boat didn't come with any cushions so I am starting from scratch. If anybody has any ideas for a cheap way to do it would be appreciated. And if anyone has pics of their "L" interior I'd like to see them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Gauntt
Navigator

Members Avatar

204 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  12:18:07  Show Profile
Harley,

In my opinion, you can go three ways: 1) Try to find some used cushions from a boat being parted out, 2) Make your own, 3) Buy all new ones.

The best and most expensive solution would be buy new ones. That's a couple grand. Ouch. A couple grand worth of cushions on a couple grand worth of boat is tough to justify, even in the boating world. It would be a great solution if you have a bunch of money you're tired of or if you plan on keeping the boat for a long, long time.

The easiest would be to buy used cushions from a parted out boat. A couple of challenges here: what shape are they in, how much are they, shipping costs, etc.

The hardest solution is to make your own. As a glutton for punishment, that's what I did. Since I had cushions already, I just re-used the foam rubber and made new covers. Since you don't have cushions, you'd be starting from zero. Foam rubber is easy to work with and cut. But it's expensive. Make/cut all your foam rubber pieces, then get out your sewing machine. I also bought the "Complete Canvasworkers Guide" http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Canvasworkers-Guide-Natural-Synthetic/dp/0070240809/ref=oe_popover_img as a reference source. Use the cut foam pieces as the pattern and sew, sew, sew your boat (cushions). It'll take some time, and you'll make a few mistakes, but the results are amazing at a fraction of the cost of buying new. Let me know if you are considering making your own. I'll try to talk you out of it first, then I'll tell you what I learned!

Good luck,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  12:46:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the luck, I'm gonna need it. It's hard to find boats around here being parted out, Midwest isn't too sailing oriented. I found 6" memory foam queen mattress on eBay with a zippered cover that I'm thinking I could cut up to make the v-birth and resew the zippered cover to match the new shape. Could do the same with the aft bunk with a full or twin size. But as for the dinnette I'm a little stumped. Maybe use a futon mattress cut up? I also have to try and make the back rests so they can work as padding when the table is down and made into a bed. I have all winter to work on it, I'm also replacing all the bulkheads in the boat while i'm at it cause of chainplate leaks. Winter projects are great.
I'm not buying new cushions cause I'm that cheap. If I can do it for half the price myself but takes me twice as long, oh well. I will have at least learned something along the way.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Gauntt
Navigator

Members Avatar

204 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  13:57:51  Show Profile
Harley,

Sounds like you are thinking about making your own! Don't do it! Okay, now that I tried to talk you out of it, here a few things I picked up along the way and things I wish I had done/not done.

If you've never used a sewing machine (as I had not), get ready for a learning curve that is not linear, but exponential. The good news is, it isn't very far to the top, just steep. I bought a new Singer on clearance at the big box store for $80. I've been happy with it, but you might do better to find a used one at a local yard sale or on craigslist. Adjustable stitch length and tension are key and having a zigzag function is good too.

For fabric, since this was my first foray into sewing, I chose a single color cotton duck canvas. I didn't want to drop $18 a yard for sunbrella on my first attempt. The canvas was $4 a yard, so I could absorb a LOT of mistakes. In retrospect, I wish I had bitten the bullet and bought Sunbrella. I've since made a tiller cover and several winch covers from sunbrella and found it relatively easy to work with and it really holds up better than canvas in the sun/weather. Sewing the covers is fairly straightforward. I made my own welting (that rolled piece between the top and sides) and that was probably more time consuming than any other part. I had planned on using velcro to close the back, but after making one with velcro, I ripped it out and installed zippers. For zippers, buy online and in pieces (zipper tape, tabs, stops, etc). Then you can make your own length of zipper at a 1/4 of the cost of premade. Great flexibility and savings.

If you plan on sleeping aboard, the "memory foam" will be a nice treat. You can also buy in standard foam rubber bulk at your local fabric store.

If you are planning on using this winter to make your own cushions, you owe it yourself to get either Don Casey's book on canvaswork or the one I mentioned earlier. Read up first and you'll see how easy this really is... it just takes time and patience.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  15:17:54  Show Profile
Thanks Tom for the advice, I haven't touched a sewing machine in about twenty years, but I do remember most of the hard work is well before the sewing takes place. The layout is most crucial to a easy job on the machine. Luckly the admiral has a mom that is very into quilting and has some pretty cool computer controled machines. If I do all the prep work she will sew it up in no time flat. What thickness should I look for to do the dinette benches with. And what thickness for the backrests?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3758 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  15:30:29  Show Profile
Be aware that you don't really need to use Sunbrella or equivalents unless you want to. UV will eat anything else above deck, but I had Pearl"s below deck cushions done in a lightweight upholstery/drapery fabric (very light use compared to the upholstery at home) on the recommendation of the fabric lady, and it has held up very well with no discernible fading. Use big plastic zippers!

Edit: Pearl's cushions

Edited by - Dave5041 on 12/07/2009 15:36:09
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  15:35:51  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Harley, I believe standard cushions, seats and backrests, are about 2 inches thick. Check your local vendor like JoAnns, and see what they recommend as well
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 12/07/2009 15:37:17
Go to Top of Page

Tom Gauntt
Navigator

Members Avatar

204 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  16:03:33  Show Profile
Harley,

I'll have to check to make sure, but I think the seat bottoms were 4" thick and the back rests were 3" thick. If I didn't already have the foam, I'd probably look at a more dense and possibly closed-cell foam and use 4" for the bottom and 2" for the backs (closed-cell foam floats very well and I always try to make improvements with the potential for increased safety as a priority). The stock foam isn't thick enough to sleep on comfortably (unless you are very young) and back is really thicker than it needs to be. Closed-cell foam is expensive, however.

Dave makes a great point about zippers. I used these folks: http://www.zippersource.com/store/ I bought the medium duty (#5) plastic. Considering a single 12" zipper can cost $10-15 each, buying 30 FEET of zipper tape for 20 bucks is a great source of savings. Plus you get to make it EXACTLY the right length. Lots of colors and other options.

Once again, Dave makes a great point about sunbrella, too. Down below, out of the sun and rain and water, the fabric stays pretty-well protected. All I did was spray a little Scotchguard on them. My cotton canvas has held up amazingly well, considering the abuses heaped upon them by my three children and the environment. My leanings toward sunbrella now revolve more around potential "re-sale" value than actual utility.

If you've got a seamstress, I would REALLY consider making your own. I think you will save a ton of money and have exactly what you want in the end product. Please let me know if I can be of any help. I'll try to get to the boat tomorrow to measure the thickness of the cushions, but since you're starting from scratch, I'd look for value and utility. If you get a good deal on some foam, I'd really try to take advantage and not worry too much about the original specs from Catalina.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Harleyworker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2009 :  18:32:47  Show Profile
Thanks again Tom, I was thinking on going with 4" and 2" for dinette and 6" for both bunks. I'm letting the admiral and the mother in law pick the fabic, I'm out of that descision already. Just like Dave said, she has the interior and I do the hardware. I have to come up with all the material and foam and zippers then I hand it off to the ladys and in a couple weeks it'll all be sewn up. I just have to make the patterns and cut the foam for her.
I know what you mean about the price of foam. Talk about sticker shock. That stuff adds up quick. Any idea what lbs foam is good? I've seen 20lbs foam and 30lbs foam, of course the higher would be denser, but could I go with a slightly thicker lower lbs and still get the same feel. As in, go with a 5" 20lbs instead of the 4" 30lbs.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2009 :  06:28:50  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Nice looking stuff Dave B!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2009 :  09:18:58  Show Profile
I f your interior set up will convert from a settee in to a bed, and part of that conversion requires using the back cushions, those cushions will need to be the same thickness as the seats. Also putting a Dacron batting on the foam, will give the finished cushion a fuller appearance. Use a spray on glue to hold the Dacron to the foam. Another way to save a few dollars is to use a different material for the bottom of the cushions. That way you can buy a smaller quantity of that pricy fabric that the Admiral picked out

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:36:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br />...Another way to save a few dollars is to use a different material for the bottom of the cushions...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The originals (and my replacements) used vinyl for the bottoms, to prevent condensation or rainwater leaking onto the seat surfaces from affecting the covers and foam.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andypavo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
51 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2009 :  13:10:03  Show Profile
Wow at the responses! This is an exceptional forum of die hard Catalina owners! I like the idea of the plywood. I also learned that the piece of wood that keeps the cushions from sliding off is a fiddle. Whatdoyaknow there is a name for anything on a boat.

What I may do is learn how to make real cushions or at least the covers and then go into a lucrative business of making sailboat seat covers and quit my day job.

Love the pictures that people posted for my thread.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page