Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Shackleless in Kinsale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AllenJ
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/01/2009 :  11:23:23  Show Profile
Sailing my '95 Cataline 250 (WB) across the Chesapeake Bay in 25-30 knot winds this September under a reefed main only when my boom flew out to leeward during a sudden gust. That's when I noticed that the shackle that attaches the mainsheet to the boom was gone! Must have loosened and then blown out during the gust. I have used a spare shackle for the remainder of the season (the one that I use to attach the short shrouds to the stanchion during mast raising/lowering) but now that winter is here I am trying to figure out if there is a special shackle that I should order to replace my lost shackle.

Also, during mast lowering and hauling out I managed to let the shackle that attacheds the gin pole block to the bow pulpit fall into the drink. This item seems less critical, but if anybody would care to make a recommendation for a replacement part it would be appreciated.

Edited by - on

NUTHRTOY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2009 :  16:02:45  Show Profile
I believe that the shackle for the mainsail is about 2" deep and about 1" wide, if I remember correctly. The correct size might be listed in an early owners manual if you have access to one. Our manual is on our boat in storage 100 miles away. I think the larger "long D shackle" is what you need but I may be wrong.

The one for the gin pole is part of the block & tackle which comes as a complete setup for the 230WB. It is a Harken stamped "D" shackle

Both can be found at this link to the West Marine Catalog, p. 1186.

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=1186

For the gin pole, you may want to consider a shackle with a captive pin or maybe a strong snap shackle, instead of the original safety ring and loose pin shackle.

What hull number are you sailing? We have 250WB#75, Nuthrtoy, built 1/5/95.
Let me know if this helps. Those of us sailing early boats should keep in touch.

Best Regards, Carl Schroeder, Lombard, IL, sailing on the Chain O' Lakes Fox Lake IL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

johnsonp
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
606 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2009 :  20:40:54  Show Profile
<font color="blue"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">
AllenJ
I had the same problem of having the boom shackle coming loose and falling in the water twice.
To eliminate the problem I replaced it with a twisted shackle and lock wired the shackle pin.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul/Boom?authkey=XWcOZQKew_I#

paulj</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="blue">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AllenJ
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2009 :  21:11:28  Show Profile
I cannot offer enough praise to the members of this forum for their helpful advice and rapid response. The information provided is very useful, for which I offer my sincere thanks.

I grew up in Elmhurst/Villa Park area and used to vacation in summer in the Fox Lake area in early childhood. I currently reside in Essex Co., VA and sail hull #43, a sweet little barky that I have named Marcella (for my grandmother). The challenges of the earlier Catalina 250's seem to be a somewhat different in ways from those turned out in more recent years and I concur that we owner's with low hull numbers should probably stay in touch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NUTHRTOY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2009 :  16:47:52  Show Profile
I'm sorry, after re-reading your post, paulj has a better answer. Somehow, I thought you were referring to the shackle that attaches the sail to the bow end of the boom. The original shackle is a stamped D shackle that came as part of the mainsheet tackle.

It sure is a small world. A few years I ran into a post referring to a boat that was in our marina in the middle 90's and surfaced after different owners, in PA. Someone on the west coast had a list of owners and hull #'s, but I have since lost track of the e-mail address.

All the best, Carl Schroeder

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2009 :  10:42:44  Show Profile
Carl,
I sail in lake Geneva, Bought my boat from Sailing world in Fox Lake in 1995. Do you dock at Kings Island? We should get together some day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NUTHRTOY
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2009 :  19:45:41  Show Profile
Hi Jack,
Actually,we met at Sailing World in the spring of '95. You were in the process of purchasing your boat at the time. Ours was used at Strictly Sail when it was in Wisconsin and a couple other boat shows that spring. We still are at Kings Island. There are still 4 or 5 250's there.I agree we should get together sometime this spring.

We always check if you're still there. Do you know Al Santini, He sails a Precision 23 on the Big Lake.

Best Regards for '09 Carl Schroeder

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2009 :  09:46:09  Show Profile
I don't know Al. Does he live up here or sail on weekends? We have a great club that races on Wed eve. and Sat am We are pretty laid back and enjoy the racing Look us up at glkcsail.org

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page