Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Fuse panel?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AADIVER
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/05/2008 :  17:50:51  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
I can't find the fuse panel on my '01 250 in the event I'd have to replace one. Or do our 250's have one? If so, where?

Frank Farmer
Long Beach, CA
aa.diver@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/aa.diver

PRETTY PENNY
'01 C-250 WK, Hull #558

Edited by - on

DJAnderson
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2008 :  17:54:58  Show Profile  Visit DJAnderson's Homepage
My '05 250 doesn't have any fuses, just a couple of circuit breakers in the main panel with pushbutton reset.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  14:03:55  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
So I guess I have the same setup; one reset for accessories, one for running and interiors. Simple.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  21:32:22  Show Profile
My 1986 C22 had fuses. I replaced that panel with a new one with circuit breakers. Big improvement!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2008 :  22:01:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Frank, our 2005 WB only has 1 circuit breaker! It's between the +ve supply and the bus bar.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2008 :  14:08:58  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
"...the +ve supply and the bus bar." Wazzat? Haven't a clue what you're referring to.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2008 :  14:35:42  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The +ve (positive) cable from the battery (or in my case the none, 1, 2, both switch) goes to the circuit breaker.
There's a hard wired link from the other side of the circuit breaker to the +ve(positive) distribution connection (buz bar)
Then the switches connect from the buz bar to the individual circuits (Cabin, Deck, Anchor, Running, etc. etc.)

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2008 :  17:39:27  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Paul, I have the same setup on Piseas II. Just wondering when do you move switch to None, 1, 2 or both? Do you have shore power as well. How does this come into play with switch and finally when motoring as well.
I have been told different info, even if moored overnight, what position to leave switch in. Thanks,
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  06:32:55  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The switch position does not affect charging, that goes directly from engine to batteries (and that is my greatest concern)

I put it in both when we are charging via the solar panel.

(And thanks for asking, it reminded me to go switch over to both, the boat is on the trailer in the back yard!)

So, we normally have the switch in position 1 when on the hook/alongside. The solar keeps things pretty well topped off although I do have some leakage that I need to figure out.

We don't connect the shore power to the DC system, I have a Guest Charger and that really does not like having any load on the batteries when charging, so I disconnected it. I keep thinking that I might buy a Xantrex (???) charger that does permit battery load when charging. Then I could use DC power while on shore power or if my generator was running.

Accept for the time when I screwed up the oil change, we have never had any issues using the electric start, but I have started the engine several times with the pull start just to know that I can, and it starts right away. But I digress from th Fuse Panel issue.

Oh! I just realized an error in my diagram. The switch is Off/1/All/2 Duh! Never did understand why they don't make them Off/1/All/2/Off so that Off is at both ends!

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 12/11/2008 06:45:36
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  08:08:41  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Paul,

When I first looked at your electrical drawing it confused me with the way you show the positive lead going from the controller to the Catalina Switch Panel. But, I guess, what you are illustrating is only the solar panel circuits showing that you have the controller "load" positive wire from the controller to the Catalina Switch Panel to provide juice directly to a load versus the controller positive "Charge" wire that goes to the batteries via the battery switch.

In order that you illustrated the solar panel circuitry, I guess you are leaving out of the diagram the positive wire that you probably have from your battery switch to the Catalina Switch Panel.

Edited by - OLarryR on 12/11/2008 08:16:05
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  17:35:30  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Paul, tks. Ya I now leave on "1" when on hook. I learned the hard way on this. Leaving it on "2", whith anchor light on, I ended up having dead batteries the next morning. Of course I manually started engine and later found out I had bad batteries to begin with as they were about 5 yrs. old.
But normally I leave on "Both" while in slip and on shore power.
Cant think when I ever had on "Off", except to maybe remove batteries for new ones!
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2008 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Larry, I know it seem wrong, but the contoller is the only link to the catalina distribution panel.

The solar panel connects to the controller,
The controller povides the connection to the distribution panel
The controller has seperate supply to the batties (vis the 1/2/all switch)

There is no other connection to the catalina distibution panel.

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3403 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2008 :  18:22:35  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Paul,

The way you have your only positive wire (from the controller) hooked up to the switch panel is a new one on me ! Obviously it works ! It never crossed my mind to do it that way. I do not use the load outputs from my solar panel controller (Morningstar Pro 15M). I just use the charging outputs and have it so that I could switch to charge either battery but I normally keep my battery switch always in the "Both" position. The batteries positive wires go to the battery switch and so the switch panel gets it's juice directly from the batteries. So far, that works for me with no drain/trickle issues.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page