Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Steaming light bulb
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AADIVER
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/28/2008 :  23:38:41  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
My mid mast steaming light bulb has to be replaced and there's nothing in the '01 manual regarding size, model #, or wattage. Does anyone know the specs for this bulb and where can I get it, i.e., West Marine, Catalina Direct, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, et al? Thanks.

Frank Farmer
Long Beach, CA
aa.diver@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/aa.diver

PRETTY PENNY
'01 C-250 WK, Hull #558

Edited by - on

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2008 :  17:13:14  Show Profile
hey frank you could measure it and get one of those led replacements , there's one that comes close in the west marine catalogue .
i measured it once its maybe 1.5 or 1.75 long

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2008 :  18:19:05  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Thanks, but the problem wasn't the bulb(s); loose connection at the mast step. Don't understand why that 250 steaming and deck light deck connection is necessary. Why don't the wires simply run up inside the mast?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2008 :  13:47:33  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AADIVER</i>
<br />Thanks, but the problem wasn't the bulb(s); loose connection at the mast step. Don't understand why that 250 steaming and deck light deck connection is necessary. Why don't the wires simply run up inside the mast?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Need to disconnect for trailering!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2008 :  19:26:06  Show Profile
That connector is a weak link in the system. My C22 had the same connector and with both boats the connectors seem to last only a couple seasons. Luckily, they are cheap. I keep one spare available all the time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2008 :  22:52:17  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
From Catalina Direct. Here's the item:

Deck Connector 4 Pin Black Plastic
Product #: Z2029
Our Price: $13.67

Also in chrome brass. Will this one work, too?

Deck Connector 4 Pin Chrome Brass
Product #: Z2028
Our Price: $21.30

Edited by - AADIVER on 12/01/2008 23:06:33
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2008 :  12:02:41  Show Profile
They are both 4 pin so either should work. I would guess that the mounting holes are different so you would need to fill in the old holes and re-drill for the new ones.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2008 :  18:23:32  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Frank, you are getting off easy. You now don't have to climb mast!
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 12/03/2008 21:38:24
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  00:04:48  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Checked electrical today. The deck light works but not the bow light, the unit just above the deck light. So if the deck and anchor light work but not the bow light, it must be a burned out bow bulb. Or maybe the bow light wire is disconnected in the deck connector. I'll "play" with it and, hopefully, fix it without having to mount the mast again.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  08:10:08  Show Profile
my bow running light was causeing the fuse to pop , I added a new bulb it was fine , after as a year of temperary running lights , i wish i checked that sooner

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  14:09:57  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
What's the part number for that bulb and can I get it at
WM or Boater's World?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  18:25:29  Show Profile
im not sure the part # ...i bought a led replacement

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  20:23:57  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
So I guess the best thing to do is remove the existing bulb and take it to WM or...? and get an LED replacement. I may have to do that after I install a new deck connector. Do you think both the steaming light bulb and the deck bulb are the same?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2008 :  22:00:52  Show Profile
On mine they are not the same. The steaming light is a festoon type while the deck lamp is shaped like a mini floodlight.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2008 :  03:58:15  Show Profile
what i did was measure the length with a ruler and ordered the closest size LED , they fit fine . they are about a 1" and a half long .
they might not be the same size double check ...the LED's are not so cheap :) but its a big power savings

Edited by - piseas on 12/04/2008 16:14:30
Go to Top of Page

AADIVER
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
966 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2008 :  17:44:21  Show Profile  Visit AADIVER's Homepage
Got the new deck connector from CD, replaced the male plug and, voila!, all the mast lights work! The steaming light wire was loose in the old one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page