Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Trailer bow bunk mod
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/22/2008 :  07:40:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
When we recovered JD onto the trailer last trip, the bow hit the bow bunk and knocked the bunk off of the support post.

When putting the boat on the trailer, our only real difficulty is getting the bow up onto the bow bunk. So I normally lower the bunk before retrieving the boat. This trip however we had someone put the truck and trailer on the ramp so that we could 'drive' the boat from the marina to the ramp. The dock-sides of the ramp area had absolutely no padding anywhere and we didn't want to scratch the boat up and there was an onshore wind. It was our best choice.

So now I'm looking at a mod for the bow bunk. I'm thinking of adding a couple of carpeted planks that extend from the forward cross beam on the trailer up to and on top of the bow bunk.

This would allow easy maneuvering to get the boat up on the bunk.

Anyone done something like this? Any ideas?

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2008 :  15:37:14  Show Profile
What's a bow bunk? Is that a WB trailer item?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2008 :  20:29:04  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />What's a bow bunk? Is that a WB trailer item?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

There are three 'bunks' on the trailer to support the boat plus the keel alignment and supports.

Port and Stbd are the main trailer bunks, the bow bunk is about 18" wide directly beneath the bow about a 2' back from the forepeak.

When the boat is correctly positioned on the trailer, the weight of the boat is taken on the two main bunks, the bow bunk takes a fraction of the weight, in fact we have trailed the boat with the bow bunk lowered so that there is a gap between the bottom of the boat and the bow bunk.

It' an obsticle to get the boat up on the bow bunk so that the bow eye is midway between the two rubber snubbers that the boat is tensioned to using the trailer winch.

of course I could just post a picture! But it's dark outside.

paul

Bump

Edited by - britinusa on 09/15/2008 20:49:33
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2008 :  11:46:46  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

Do you have the TrailRite trailer? Seems like there was something on this subject in the past and I scratched my head then...maybe not fully understanding.

I have the TrailRite trailer, and have always pulled the boat up to the bow roller and then winched the boat up on the roller (3,4 or 5 inches?).....giving me the ability to be sure that the boat is centered on the roller. I do admit to replacing the Fulton winch with a (I think) 2500# Dutton Lainson winch that has a thicker metal housing.

We still have a few weeks before the sad day of pulling the boat for the year.

Steve
C250 WB #702

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2008 :  13:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
Paul, when I retrieve my boat it will come up to the bow bunk where I then use the winch to get the boat to "climb" on top of the bow bunk. I have never had any difficulties in doing so. Could it be possible that your bow bunk is adjusted to high?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
834 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2008 :  18:37:58  Show Profile
Steve, you are correct.
I have a 2004 C250WB Trail-Rite trailer and the bow bunk is bolted through the frame and cannot be adjusted.
Russ C250WB #793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 09/16/2008 18:49:34
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  18:49:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Russ, would you give the dimensions of your bow bunk in that picture. That's a better arrangement than ours. Ours is a 'bunk' not a roller.

My mod, if applied to your trailer, would add a pair of bunkbed beams from the bow bunk sides back to the foremost trailer crossbeam. The intent would be to make it easy to get the bow up on top of the bow roller.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  19:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
Ah, now I understand Paul's problem. Mine is just like Russ's, a roller. I thought Paul called his roller a bunk. Paul, go with the roller it's real easy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page