Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Whisker pole for C250WB
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Navy1
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
126 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2008 :  09:40:04  Show Profile
I want to get a whisker pole for my 2004 Catalina 250WB. Foresparhas a model that is 1-1/4" o.d., adjustable from 6' to 12'. Will this model work for my boat? This model is around $130 and to go heavier would cost almost three times as much.
Also, do I need a whisker pole with latch & spike ends, or with latch & latch ends? Thanks - Roger

Roger Richter

Edited by - on

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  10:41:10  Show Profile
According to Forespar you should use the HD 6-12. The SDJ 6-12 that you mention is not heavy-duty enough and will not be strong enough at the length you will need to extend too. I have the HD 6-12 and it works fine. It has the latches at both ends.

There are significant forces on a whisker pole and going too light could damage the pole and create problems for you. They are expensive pieces of gear.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  16:30:05  Show Profile
Before buying your pole, it may be wise to check how much distance is between the grommet at the clew of your jib and the edge of the sail. I wanted a latch on both ends of my whisker pole, and bought it that way, only to find out that the latch was not large enough to snap into the grommet. The problem was easily solved by tying a loop of line through the grommet and attaching the latch through the line loop, but its probably not ideal.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  17:27:34  Show Profile
The latch goes over the sheet. No need to attach it to the eye/grommet.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/23/2008 17:28:03
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2008 :  19:00:50  Show Profile
Does anybody use a pole to extend the tack in front of the boat ?
asail or a drifter

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

willy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
422 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2008 :  08:11:46  Show Profile
Randy! Am I missing something...the latch goes over the sheet? If I had the pole with the spike rather than the the latch how would that work?
Feeling a bit dumb here...
Willy

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2008 :  10:06:25  Show Profile
If you had a pole with a spike then it would go through the grommet. But my experience with a whisker pole is similar to using a spinnaker pole. The latch latches over the sheet. When the sheet is pulled tight that will keep the pole at the sail corner.

Here is a what Forespar says "When you decide to set the pole and bring the jib across to windward, put the lazy jib sheet into the outboard pole fitting, extend the pole and attach to the mast fitting."

HOWEVER - they also later say: The whole procedure can be simplified by having a small vinyl coated wire loop installed in the jib cringle to which the pole can be attached...."

So, both ways are OK! Thanks for the question, it made me research more. I crew on a Santana 20 racer and I attach the whisker pole the same way I attach the spinnaker pole on the racer. I learned something today!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2008 :  22:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
I'm about to buy a new 135% genoa and a Forespar HD 6-12 whisker pole as recommended here. However when the time comes to buy a symmetrical Spinnaker will I be able to use the same whisker pole or do I need to buy a spinnaker pole for some reason? I don't understand the differences.

From looking at them it seems that the spin pole has a toping lift as well as a vang to keep it down. Is that the only difference? At over $300 I really want to buy only 1 good pole that could for both.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2008 :  14:48:31  Show Profile
A friend of mine lashes a stainless steel ring to the clew on the leech side of their C-22 genoa, then attaches the pole to the ring. I've used a small loop made of 1/4" line which works fairly well, but the knot can come undone. If you use a single jib sheet line looped through the clew, try tying a second knot about 4" from the clew. Then you can attach the pole to the sheets between the 2 knots and the knots will keep the pole in place.
The advantage I see to these methods as opposed to hooking the pole over the loaded sheet is that you can then gybe the genoa without having to release the pole from the clew.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2008 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
what happens to the clew and pole when the sail jybes? Isn't the pole longer then the mast to headstay distance?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Blackburn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1091 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  16:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Steve Blackburn's Homepage
Paul, I have seen this done. They simple unclip the pole from the mast ring prior to the gybe, help the sail to the other side and reclip to the mast ring.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Locally there is a pole for sale - 13 ft long and 3.5" thick, would it be worth it to cut down something like that to size? If so, I wil lsee if it is available for other folks who may be interested (I don't think I need it)

Our routine with the whisker pole is to attach it to the bowline on our jibsheet, then clip the end of the pole that telescopes to the ring on the mast. We generally do this as we round the jybe mark. Then we extend the pole (telescopic), tie a preventer forward off the boom (use a quick release rolling hitch), and foredeck goes to lean on the boom holding it as far forward as possible. The whole routine takes something like a minute and a half, unless something goes really wrong. Our biggest challenge is that we have a lot of pole, but no topping lift. I need to rectify that for next season.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  22:53:56  Show Profile
Paul,
If you want to leave the pole attached to the clew in a gybe, here's how. After the command to gybe is given and the main is moved over to the other side, the jib/genoa sheet is released and the foredeck person removes the pole from the mast ring. The mast end of the pole is immediately raised upward in front of and along the mast and the pole is used like a broom handle to sweep the clew across the boat and out to the other side. The mast end of the pole then comes down and is reconnected to the mast ring. It's very fast. I've done this with a fully extended HD6-12 without collapsing the pole. The longer HD7-17 pole will most likely need to be collapsed (1 section) before disconnecting from the mast. We use this method on the C-22 all the time and have adapted it to the C-25.

Edited by - dmpilc on 09/17/2008 23:01:22
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2008 :  23:11:08  Show Profile
Steve, spinnaker poles and whisker poles are not alike. A spinnaker pole is fixed in length, usually limited to the J dimension (distance from base of mast to forestay at bow), and has topping lift and downhaul bridles, and a whisker pole is generally adjustable and longer, especially if you want to pole out a 150 genoa, and does not have the topping lift or downhaul. The HD6-12 is fine for the 110 and maybe the 135, but it is really too short for the 150. A spinnaker pole would be long enough to pole out a 110.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page