Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Take the Elevator
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/12/2008 :  13:49:03  Show Profile
The topic on tethers got me looking on the Internet for safety information and I found this interesting technique which could work well on our boats. It does require the MOB to be aware and able to help. Might be worth having a readily available line prepared for this.

"An innovative system for getting a person in the water back aboard quickly and easily has been developed by the Modern Sailing Academy. Called The Elevator, all that is required is a length of genoa sheet, led aft around a stern cleat and then forward outside the lifelines to a cockpit winch, leaving enough line hanging down for the victim to get his feet on it. Once the victim is balanced on the sheet, the sheet is cranked in and the victim is elevated to deck
level."

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - on

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  14:08:40  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Randy, does the site have a video of that in action?
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  14:13:26  Show Profile
damn... I am always surprised "pleasantly" by the quality of posts here.... Veddy good. This is one of the drills the aedmiral and I have discussed but not practiced...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stardog
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
319 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  14:22:09  Show Profile
Another method I've seen used is to drop the mainsail, remove the traveler end of the mainsheet and hook a sling to it. Then push the boom out and have the MOB get into, or hang onto the sling. Now you can hoist them up with the mainsheet and swing them over onto the deck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  18:18:44  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
StarDog, can you do that for us this weekend, take a video and post on Monday. Thanks. I would love to see that in action. I am a visual person.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  18:48:46  Show Profile
Stardog, can you still do that if you have a boomkicker?

--Jim

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  19:54:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crystal_blue</i>
<br />Stardog, can you still do that if you have a boomkicker?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Neeupe!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2008 :  20:27:59  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Guess Stardog wont be making any videos this weekend. Ok anyone else up for the challenge? Hopefully I will be installing my new electric bilge pump, so I am out.
Steve A

Edited by - piseas on 06/12/2008 20:29:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page