Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Compasses and radios
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skrenz
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
351 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/10/2008 :  11:02:34  Show Profile
Do VHF radios produce a magnetic field that would interfere with the functioning of a compass? If so, how far away should you be to be safe? Would the interference change if sending and receiving as opposed to just being on? I want to mount a bulkhead mounted compass on the cabin-cockpit bulkhead. Down below is my VHF radio mounted under the shelf about 24" away. Before I start cutting a 4" hole through my bulkhead, I would like to be sure that this isn't going to be a problem.

Steve Krenz
`Elan
1978 SR/SK #482
Santa Fe, New Mexico

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2008 :  11:08:21  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Steve,
I'm pretty sure my radio manual says to install it no closer than 3' from the compass. Easy way to tell is to set the compass relatively close to the radio, let it settle down, then turn on the radio (or other equipment) and watch for any needle movement.

FWIW, my compass is on the port side of the boat, and my radio is on under the starboard lip of the hatch opening.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2008 :  23:23:30  Show Profile
All electrical equipment produces a magnetic field when on, and some contain magnets. Have somebody hold the compass where you want to mount it and turn things on to see if the card moves. Even wires create mag fields when current flows, so your best test is trial and error. But remember that on a small boat you're doing good to consistently steer within 5 degrees, so don't get hung up on barely perceptible fluctuations.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KD4AO
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
202 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  06:58:44  Show Profile
The primary reason for the mounting distance between the radio and the compass is probably due to the magnetic field of the speaker in the radio.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:38:11  Show Profile
A fellow C25 owner once asked me if I knew anything about compasses because the card on his commpass was stuck in one position. When I looked at it, I said, "Well, that stereo speaker mounted just above it might be the problem!"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:40:51  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
You should have some deviation from the cabin top winch if you are putting the compass on the cabin bulkhead. It's certainly not as bad as the radio would have been but....it would be there. After you have the compass mounted, make a deviaton table to establish how much error is imparted in the compass from the boat in general.

On our boats, which get bounced around a lot in wind and wave anyway, a 3 degree error is generally not a problem, though you should know that it is there if you are going any great distance out of site of land. A professional compass adjuster might get the 3 degress adjusted out if you don't feel you want to bother with it when navigating.

Personally, now that I have a chart plotter I refer to my compass very seldom except to occasionally verify the compasses accuracy on a given heading.

For what it's worth,

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stardog
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
319 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  14:10:04  Show Profile
A good way to find out if your electronics effect your compass is to set the compass where you want to mount it, then have someone else turn on your power, have them turn on every device in succession, meanwhile you watch the compass and observe whether or not the needle jumps when something is turn on. Repeat as many times as necessary in order to find a good location.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KD4AO
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
202 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  14:47:36  Show Profile
By the way, that magnetic field around the speaker in a radio is not dependent on power, it is there all the time. And the error it will cause is not constant but varies by the direction of travel, just put a radio within a couple of feet of the compass and try it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  15:09:39  Show Profile
Our radio is mounted into the top of the starboard aft berth, below the bulkhead with the external compass. I find no influence.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skrenz
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
351 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2008 :  22:48:34  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great suggestions. What I was worried about most was not a constant deviation, which could be tuned out, but one that varied with the radio on or off, I tried the suggestion of putting the compass in place and turning on the radio. I tried all its buttons and setting including send. The card never varied.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page