Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Head Wear - What Works Best For You ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/31/2008 :  07:10:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I had a nice cap for many years which had a bicycle logo on it from one of the century bike rides I went on. Wore it the other year sailing and it took the deep dive over the side...and apparently did not float. It was gone when I went back to retrieve it.

Now I wear another cap with a dog in a sailboat logo...but only till I get to the boat. Then I don a cotton hiking hat with chin strap. It's okay...but was considering getting something else.

I believe Practical Sailor or some other magazine just had an article on hats and recommendation was for the Nike Dri-Fit or the Ultimate Tropical cap. I was considering buying the Tropical hat.

What are you guys wearing on your heads during sailing and what do you like about it ?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/31/2008 07:12:16

KD4AO
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
202 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  07:44:42  Show Profile
I wear The AIRFLO TILLEY HAT. It has snap up brim and chin strap. It is insured against loss and guaranteed for life. It floats, ties on, repels rain, blocks UV rays and won't shrink. Made in Canada, it isn't cheap but it is good. www.tilley.com I have no connection to this company, I just think it is a great hat and I love mine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cat1951
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
636 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  07:54:05  Show Profile
I wear a simple baseball cap that I bought in Panama City, FL with a Panama City Beach logo on it. I also have a cap clip that I use to clip it to my shirt collar. I tried wearing a C25 logo hat and didn't have the clip attached... on our first sail, the boom swept it right off of my head and now Davey Jones has it in his collection. I guess I should be thankful the hat was all that was swept off the boat.

Edited by - cat1951 on 05/31/2008 07:55:16
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  08:17:29  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I've never been much for hats. Last week-end though I found one that feels good and the admiral says (she probably lies) I look good in it. I'm going to take a short sail and try it out tomorrow. Lately I'm thinking a hat is really the way to go. In most cases I don't even need sunglasses when wearing one, so no coon eyes, no quint lines so less wrinkles (for us old guys), no sun burned face. It's a win win ..... win ..... win ....... situation!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  09:09:42  Show Profile
I have three hats on board. Least frequently used is a Tilley hat. Very practical and functional hat but not a style-setter if you catch my drift. Most frequent is a baseball cap from Salty's - my very favorite restaurant in Seattle. On cool days I wear a ski cap from Dakine which makes me one cool shredder.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  09:44:06  Show Profile
Two things I never did before I owned a boat were drink beer or wear a hat. That being said:
In cool weather I wear a standard black watch cap. In the summer, when racing I wear a Jolly Roger bandanna because it allows me to look up at the windex without tilting my head back too far (and because it makes me feel all piratey and hopfully intimidates near-by racing skippers). For crusing I have a brimmed,ventilated, fold- up cloth hat with a chin strap, that I bought for $2.50 at a surplus store. In addition to those hats I have a number of baseball type caps, that I wear dockside and a well worn, sweat stained, Norweigen fishermans cap to look nautical when entering or leaving a port.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  10:09:53  Show Profile
Not a hat person, but I do wear a Tilley when sailing or in extended sun exposure. As they recommend, I bought it a little large and find it is cooler than no hat. The snap up brim protects the ears. On the water, sunscreen and sunglasses are still required for reflected light. Skin cancer, early cataracts, and collagen breakdown (the stuff that makes your skin elastic if you want to reduce wrinkles) from UV can be reduced with protective measures. UV blocking shirts are also available from Columbia and other companies-blocking visible light doesn't mean a fabric effectively blocks UVA/B.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  10:33:29  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I've been wearing a [url="http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId=1&gender=u&extractBy=CategoryId&id=1&productNo=T3"]Tilley hat[/url] for years & years, I'm on my second one simply because I lost my first one somewhere. As said above, it's guaranteed against loss, floats by means of a thin removable foam "bumper" in the rim which is good for MOB drills, planned or impromptu, doesn't shrink, and has a green under brim all the way around to help cut reflected light into your eyes. It also substitutes very well for when you forget to bring the hound's frisbee along (tooth marks just add to it's charm).

I also bring an assortment of bandannas along to clean glasses, soak up sweat, etc. [url="http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/mens/mens2/mens_hats/75093.aspx?feature=Product_2"]I found a couple of big sweat absorbent ones at Duluth Trading Company[/url] that I can actually tie around my big head w/o struggling like a "normal" bandanna. Given a choice, I'd rather wear a bandanna tied back than a hat because it's generally better at soaking up sweat, but the reality is, with my skin I have little choice except for a big brimmed Tilley, and lots of sunscreen glopped on. The Tilley soaks up sweat just fine, it's just not so easy to clean as a bandanna, plus you void your warranty if you bleach it.

Rita generally will wear baseball type hats although I don't think you could get her into her Mariner's hat right now. She has a Tilley hat as well, but I think given the choice she'd rather wear a baseball hat. She doesn't have to worry so much about sunburn as I do, while I have a Portuguese last name, I look like I just stepped off the boat from the UK. If I work at it carefully I can work up a tan, whereas Rita just tans without even thinking about it.

We both have good sunglasses, and generally wear them out on the water. I have a "condition" that my ophthalmologist warns me to take good care of my eyes, so I have little choice if I want to be able keep doing this. Rita on the other hand can really only wear regular non-prescription sunglasses when she has her contacts on.

Edited by - delliottg on 05/31/2008 13:27:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  11:08:01  Show Profile
Broad-brimmed Tilley... the only thing that fits my weird head (that mercifully kept me from playing football in HS.) Two straps--chin and back of head... The loss guarantee is only for the first year or so, as I recall--"mat'l & workmanship" for life. There are copies, but a "real sailor" wears a Tilley. (I'm not sure how you explain me wearing one... )

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 05/31/2008 11:11:27
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  11:12:39  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
Newport - Ensenada 2008 cap

Mount Gay Rum 2008 Beer Can Series cap

I also have a Tilley hat

When it is cold I wear my Nike watch cap.

I am also very partial to hoodie-style sweatshirts.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  12:21:51  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimB517</i>
<br />I am also very partial to hoodie-style sweatshirts.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Amen to the Hoodie! Nothing keeps the draft off the back of your neck better.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2008 :  13:05:18  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Wow ! I can't believe how many have the Tilley hat ! I don't know if that style works for me...but there must be something to it. I will take another look.

I note attaching a clip and clipping to your collar may also be a good idea for a cap you really like.

I'll debate this some more before I make a decision.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  16:46:53  Show Profile
I keep my Tilley hat, purchased for me by the Admiral in the bottom drawer of the filing cabinet at work. That is where it truly matches form and function and especially, style.

When sailing, I wear a 'Good Life', smiley-faced ball cap that is faded to grey from exposure (from its original navy blue) and is substanitally salt stained and crusty from being splashed by salt water from the outside and from the salty toxins that escape my head.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  17:28:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow ! I can't believe how many have the Tilley hat ! I don't know if that style works for me...but there must be something to it. I will take another look.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Larry, the Tilley is popular because it is <i>functional</i>. It has a broad brim, good venting, ties under the chin to keep it on, and can take a bunch of abuse and bounce right back. It is <u>not</u> a babe magnet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  18:02:01  Show Profile
I wear a 'C25-250 Association' hat with the boat name monogrammed on the back... (until the wind pipes up anyway). Then it gets tossed in the cabin and replaced with whatever free 'advertising' ball cap is within reach. I don't want to lose the 'collectors edition' hat in the drink.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  18:30:23  Show Profile
I like to wear hats with a brim all the way around, like golf and tennis hats. They protect the tops of my ears from sunburn, which baseball caps cannot do. My favorite for sailing (or cutting grass) in hot weather is a terrycloth tennis hat. When I start feeling real hot, I dunk it, wring it out like a washcloth, and put it on my balding head! Feels sooo good!!
For shoreside, I've got several straw hats with colorful headbands, and one with a band containing the C-22 logo. got that one from one of the T-shirt vendors at a local regatta. Need to get him the logo for C-25's so he'll make me one of those, too.

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/01/2008 18:33:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  20:21:19  Show Profile
On a hot day, I've been known to dunk my Tilley too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2008 :  21:47:10  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I use to like like wearing just a cap but they do not stay on my head that long. Either the wind knocks it off or I bump into something that dislodges it off the head. So, once on the boat, I hang up the cap and don the hiking hat with a strap - No way that comes off ! That hat is fine but it gets a bit hot under there - Not ventilated. So...I am starting to look over those Tilley hats - Youse guys certainly like them. There are many styles and matls they are made out of to choose from and I believe the local stores may have one or two but not the whole collection. Some of the stores that supposedly have some Tilleys to look over and try on are: REI Sporting Goods and Hudson Trail Outfitters. There maybe more. I'll visit these stores and see what these Tillys are all about.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  06:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I have a genuine imitation tilley hat bought at an outdoors show for half the price of a real tilley. Call me cheap. The only problem with it is that it has become "scrunchy" and no longer has any "look cool" value to it.

Mostly I wear a ballcap from the gym that I got a membership to and never went. I hate gym's but the cap fits nicely.

I am forever trying on different hats, but can't bring myself to pay upwards of $60 for something, when the two that I already have fulfill their purpose. This fall though, mount gay is doing a "rum pour" (whatever that is) at our club, so I may be able to get one of their hats if I'm lucky. Then I'll be a real sailor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  09:23:21  Show Profile
I have a wide brimmed hat that I bought late last year from West Marine that is made of a creamy colored canvas and has a little more spiffy shape than a Tilley. The feature that I especially like about it, however, is that it not only has a cord that fits under the chin, like a Tilley, but the same cord also loops under the back of your head, so that, if you get a strong blast of wind from behind, it'll prevent the wind from peeling it off your head from back-to-front. When the strap is under your chin as well as the back of the head, the hat isn't going anywhere.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 06/02/2008 09:27:34
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  10:39:35  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I read on Tilley's site quite some time ago that they provided a hat to every serviceman & woman in the Canadian forces during Desert Storm in the early 90's. The paratroopers apparently tested Tilley's claim about keeping their hats on your head by jumping out of planes with them fixed to their heads using only the instructions from Tilley for the chin & back of head straps. No failures.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  12:11:48  Show Profile
The actual Tilly brand is a bit pricy. There are good similar ones out there at a reasonable price. I wear my knockoff around the dock sometimes when it is hot. It's a pain when sailing as gets in the way when looking aloft. I have an extensive collection of ball caps. When I start getting spray I switch to some style that covers my ears, to protect the hearing aids I'm sometimes wearing while sailing. That could be a 'hunter's style' with flaps or a watch cap depending. I like to shop around places like REI for these. I almost always have a cap of one kind of another on. When I was still doing CW Traffic I had a visor just like the old time telegraph operators.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PZell
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
548 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  12:13:15  Show Profile
Hmmmmm. Just realized I am an old time telegraph operator!!!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  13:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2008 :  13:43:27  Show Profile
- .... .- - ... / ..-. ..- -. -. -.-- / ... .--. .- .-. -.- -.--

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2008 :  05:43:10  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Youse guys have once again influenced me toward some decision ! In this instance - Getting one of the Tilley hats ! I am sure my wife is overjoyed with all your input as well considering the cost of these hats !

I have been reviewing the Tilley website and some others regarding the hat choices and costs. Then I went locally to Hudson Trail Outfitters, yesterday, and tried some on. I read the instructions for hat sizing which actually they recommend you size it just a bit loose and then if it is windy - use the straps to hold it on. Now that I know my size and seem fairly comfortable with the styling, etc...believe I will buy this thing on-line. I am considering the Tilley LTM6, Lightweight Airflow hat. It is the one with a vent along the top of the hat and has the wider brim. It's made supposedly out of Nylon according to the Tilley Website and elsewhere but to look and feel it, you would think it is cotton. Anyway, Campmor (the camping store in New Jersey) had what seemed to be the lower/lowest cost at about $63 plus shipping. Amazon has it for about $65 plus shipping but if you buy another $10 worth of something (total over $75) from the Amazon Supplier ("Belt..." something), then the shipping is free.

So...today or in a day or so, I will place an order.

Edited by - OLarryR on 06/04/2008 05:46:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page