Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 T-Boned by Germand Flagged Vessel - Update
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2008 :  08:44:15  Show Profile
OK - 8 new stanchions and a bunch of custom welding later, we are just waiting on lifelines to be installed. Decided the lag time for hydraulic pressed fittings was too long and we went with Sta-locks which will allow for repair and replacement anywhere in the world.

The German BendyToy's insruance company made snide comments about Lysistrata's age - 1973 - until I pointed out that with her equipment list that she was valued at twice the 1998 BendyToy's value of $108K... Wimpy winches, no hydraulic autopilot, no wind gen, no nothing... (Mental note - you can have a two cabin two headed Bendy Toy for $108K) beats buying a house these days

Anyhow, they denied causing damage to her starboard side and becasue I had not actually seen the collision on the starboard side - we reluctantly agreed... $3,500.00 which is exactly what the repair is costing at a slightly cheaper marina than the estimate submitted. We are awaiting the wire transfer now...

As far as the Coasties go, only Customs can inform the Coasties to hold a vessel. The German flagged vessel must clear out before leaving US waters, but try explaining this to Customs. Nobody knows anything about foreign flagged yachts.. Anyhow, all is soon to be well again and we are off for parts north early next week when we get a proper weather window. Then based on that we will either sail from St. Augustine offshore to Charleston OR - if the admiral agrees - we could pass go, collect $200 and go directly to the Cheasepeake. Personally, I'd like to go out and pick up the stream and get to Newport in a week or less... Oh well...

My wife is leaving for Kansas for FIVE weeks this summer.... Watch out Frank! SO, I am contemplating a run to Nova Scotia from Newport during that time. Renzo, you in? The smorgasboard of debauchery will only be curtailed by the value of the uS Peso...

Sten

DPO C25 #3220 "Zephyr", SR, FK
SV Lysistrata - C&C 39 - St. Augustine FL for the moment!!!!

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2008 :  09:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I would be honored to take her sailing if she could handle the small venue,(and the possibility of some small degree of debauchery Kansas style). Where in Kansas is she headed?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:03:24  Show Profile
Kansas city.... overland park.... kelly's in Southport.... Oh I know!

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SteveRoberts
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2008 :  16:50:29  Show Profile
So Sten, just caught up on your whole encounter with the German boat. Glad the repair appears to be going smoothly.

I have to tell a sea-story though. We were in Huahine in the Society Islands after a month in the Marquesas and a couple weeks in Papeete and another few days on the hook in Moorea, anchored in 25 feet over sand; a beautiful spot. You could literally check the set of your anchor from the surface, the water was so clear. I have a picture here in my cubicle of Huckleberry at anchor there at sunset.

ANYway, The Moorings has a charter operation there and sure enough, after we'd been in the anchorage a couple of days along came a 40-something foot bareboat with a French couple; they dropped anchor and let out rode until they were about 20 feet off my stbd. bow, well overlapped. I came out on deck and told them they were anchored too close and that they would have to move.

Well. I was treated to a burst of French outrage and informed that the skipper had "25 years of sailing experience" and he knew what he was doing! I stayed calm, heard him out, then insisted he move anyway. Fortunately he did and motored off closer to the beach. Apparently he wasn't welcome anywhere because about an hour later, I happened to be on deck as he motored out of the anchorage.

As he passed our stern I shouted, "Goodbye! Bon chance!" then under my breath added, "...you'll need it."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2008 :  06:34:27  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveRoberts</i>
<br />
I have to tell a sea-story though. We were in Huahine in the Society Islands after a month in the Marquesas and a couple weeks in Papeete and another few days on the hook in Moorea, anchored in 25 feet over sand; a beautiful spot. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Steve, a couple of things:
Were you there in your c25?
Are you loon song in the volvo race?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Loonsong1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2008 :  07:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Loonsong1's Homepage
Hi Paul,
I'm Loonsong on the VOR, I've been lurking here on the forum for a couple of years now. I sail a C250 WB sail number 209, on the southern Maine coast and am homeported on the Saco River although right now she's tucked away for a long winters rest. I purchased the boat this past spring out of Cape Cod and trailered it to Maine. Looking forward to leg three of the race.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page