Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Centerboard Removal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andiamo
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2007 :  11:30:59  Show Profile
I am trying to remove the centerboard while the boat is on the trailer. I am following the Keith D. removal procedure but I can't see how it can work. I had an inch of clearance off of the front cross member and have raised the aft end of the centerboard until it bottoms in the top of the centerboard trunk. The process (as I understand it) is to raise the aft part of the centerboard, for the centerboard to pivot on the cross member and the forward portion of the centerboard will drop out of the truck. I have done that but I still need at least 3 or 4 more inches before the forward portion of the centerboard will drop out of the truck and can be brought forward. I have a standard Trailrite trailer so I don't think I have anything unique.

I would appreciate any advice on what I may be doing wrong.

I would also apprecate any techniques for jacking the boat up 4 or 5 inches because that is what I think I will have to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob & Cathy Murphy
"Andiamo"
1994 WB

Topic

Bob & Cathy Murphy
"Andiamo"
1994 WB

Edited by - on

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2007 :  12:18:36  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Bob, when I repaird my centeboard, I had the same issue as yourself. In the end I was able to do the repair without removing the center board.

However, while at it, I spent a while figuring out how to do exactly what you just asked.

My potential solution is as follows.

Use a the trailer jack to raise the front of the trailer.
Put a block under the bow bunk vertical support and slacken off the bolts securing the bunk support to the trailer.
Now lower the front of the trailer, thus raising the bow a few inches. Retighten the bow bunk support bolts.
Repeat this proceedure with each of the other supports, just raising the boat off the trailer by a an inch or so max with each move. So you would go around the bouy a few times.

I think you only need to raise the boat about 3 inches off the trailer in order to get the board out.

The reason I suggest raising the trailer rather than directly trying to raise the bunk supports is two fold: a) You're not trying to punch a hole in the hull by trying to raise the entire boat on a single point. (during launch / retrieval the loading on the bunks is clearly not even until the boat is out of the water so I figure it's ok to use the method I describe, that's what I would do.) and b) it's probably easier to manage.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2007 :  13:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
When removing mine... more clearance was needed that required some extra jacking.

I used the following steps.
<ul><li>Jack the front of the trailer up until the back cross member bottoms out</li><li>Block the bow to the ground</li><li>Release trailer to a relaxed position</li><li>Jack front of the trailer down from the bow </li></ul>
The last step was done so as to keep bunk board support. To do this, the forward nuts were removed from the bunk boards and bottle jacks used between the trailer and the bunk boards jacking until temporary 1.5" blocks could be fitted between the bunk board and its support. This gained the 2-3 inches needed to get the center board out.

Forward bunk board support is probably not critical and I believe if the front of the trailer could be jacked high enough by having the tires setting on a hump in the terrain, that the step in releasing the forward bolts of the bunk boards might be eliminated. I think others have done so without releasing them.

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 04/22/2007 07:02:52
Go to Top of Page

Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
181 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2007 :  21:12:05  Show Profile
Having removed the centerboard twice with ease, I suggest putting a floor jack on the front of the trailer under the bow. Set enough wood blocking (2x8's work well) to minimize slack and jack as high as you need to. The jack will be off center, but adequately supported by the trailer frame. Takes 3 minutes! Remember the board is quite heavy for one person. After securing the forward centerboard mount bolts if you remove them, fill the holes with sealant that can be removed as a plug after curing, this ensures no rusted bolts to fight with down the road.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2007 :  06:54:19  Show Profile
Something which helped greatly when I shimmed my centerboard was to make a couple of alignment bolts to aid in re-installation of the four attach bolts. Just find a couple of bolts same size and thread and cut the heads off and use them for alignment.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2007 :  08:54:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I suggest putting a floor jack on the front of the trailer under the bow. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Dave, can you expand on your explaination..
Where exactly did you put the jack. (realtive to the keel and the bow.)

Thanks.
Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2007 :  09:07:16  Show Profile
I found that if you use a 1X6 on the trailer frame just in front of the bow roller with what ever 2x4s etc between jack pad and bow it works. Remember to loosen or remove winch cable and any thing else holding boat to trailer. [Just my two cents worth again]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Andiamo
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2007 :  19:54:16  Show Profile
I used the method that 528 suggested and it worked well. I used 2 bottle jacks; one forward of the roller and one aft of the roller. I thought having two jacking points would be safer and gave me more flexibility.

I jacked the bow about 6 inches off of the roller and that was enough to get the centerboard out. I continuously blocked the boat in case one of the jacks failed. I also put blocking (1 inch and 2 inch) between the bunks and the hull.

Thanks for everybody's help. I also used Bears suggestion to cut off some bolts and use them guides. That also worked well but instead of cutting off two bolts, I went to the hardware store and bought 2" threaded rod.

Thanks again. I am trying to post pictures of the operation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lewalskim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2007 :  13:40:36  Show Profile
While having a dive service clean the bottom and help replace the centerboard pennant with the new vectran line, the diver surfaced and handed me the brass turning ball that had over 1/4 of the ball missing; it looks like it just broke off He also had the remains of the pin used with the ball. When I get a new turning ball, can anyone tell me how the thing gets put back in?

He also told me that I only had two of the four bolts holding the centerboard mount in place. What size are these bolts and is it as simple as getting two more and putting them in until tight?

No trailer available, only in water work can be done but the diver said that he should be able to perform the work.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2007 :  14:34:07  Show Profile
I'm thinkin ya need to get the boat out of the water if ya got parts falling off. Particularly in places that could let a lot of water in. Ya know, like the bottom of the boat!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page