Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Head Order of Operation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jotruelove
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
22 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/23/2006 :  22:11:17  Show Profile
Greetings All!

Would someone please tell me what valves to open and in what order to use the head properly! I finally, after reading every thread on head operation, I finally got the unit to "wet bowl" pull water in, and "dry bowl" to push water out.

But something is just not right. I think if I knew what order to turn what valve, I might have this problem solved.

So, the sinks both have stoppers in them to keep the vacuum intact, I open the thru-hull valve to allow water into the boat.

Now what?!

Fair Winds...

James Truelove
Pearl
1985 Catalina 25
Sunny Florida Panhandle

Edited by - on

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
No real trick to it. The through hull needs to be open. If it is original, that is a counterclockwise turn on the valve. If not, most likely the valve needs to be in line with the hose.

Take care of Business, dry pump, wet pump to rinse, dry pump to clear out the rinse water.

Unless there were modifications made, the stoppers in your sink are probably irrelevant to this issue. The galley sink drains via a through hull with the ice box out aft. The head sink drains via through hull out the starboard side.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1595 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2006 :  19:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Douglas's Homepage
I would also recomend that if you sail in salt water at the end of the day you flush 1 gallon of fresh water through the head to rinse it out. This will stop most of the head smell.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crcalhoon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
303 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2006 :  11:09:25  Show Profile
When we had a boat with a marine head our rule was "pump until you are absolutely certain that the line is clear, then pump 20 more strokes."
But that was on a marine head discharging overboard. Don't know how you would handle that on a holding tank. That 20 extra strokes might fill it up awful fast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page