Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 New Generator Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raulpou
Navigator

Member Avatar

144 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2006 :  16:08:43  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

It seems that the question of generators for our boats comes up semi-often and I wanted to write a review of my new generator, the Mcculloch FG2000TC. This generator is basically a copy of the Honda inverter generator.

After deciding that I was not going to spend the nearly $900 for a Honda Generator, I looked at alternatives. The specs on the Mcculloch and HOnda are nearly indentical. I have ran the generator for several hours and am very happy with its performance. I have hooked up varied electronics (including my house fridge) to test it out and can't think that the Honda is much different.

The generator is quiet, compact, and relatively light weight. It comes in at about 45 pounds. Operation is very straight forward and it comes with a cable to directly charge an automotive battery without having to use a separate cable.

I bought it from Tool King on Ebay and it was $494 at my door step! For the price, I don't believe there is a better deal!!!

I will be trying to run a cruisair 5000BTU portable A/C and will let everyone know as to my thoughts.

Raul

Edited by - on

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  17:11:13  Show Profile
Hi Raul,

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to hearing how your new generator performs with the Cruisair a/c ... I have one of those, and I wonder how the generator is going to perform.

Let us know ... that sure is a good price!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

existentialsailor
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1180 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  17:39:30  Show Profile
Identical to which model Honda generator?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

takokichi
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
321 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  17:43:49  Show Profile
No! Don't do it! (yet). Unless its for your house, in which case I'll piss off...

(you're really not going to have power issues on the mooring)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

raulpou
Navigator

Members Avatar

144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  17:50:46  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by takokichi</i>
<br />No! Don't do it! (yet). Unless its for your house, in which case I'll piss off...

(you're really not going to have power issues on the mooring)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

raulpou
Navigator

Members Avatar

144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  17:51:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by existentialsailor</i>
<br />Identical to which model Honda generator?

EU2000i

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

existentialsailor
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1180 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  19:33:51  Show Profile
Raul,

Thanks, I was pricing the Honda's a few weeks ago, but was looking at the EU 1000i, so was surprised at your $900, this explains it.

Justin,
Not to worry! I'm convinced about the power situation! I did the math and determined that any tools I need to use, in the long run, it would be cheaper and more efficient to buy portable versions and bring the power packs home to charge.
The generator is not on the "boat" list.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2006 :  22:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Raul,

Thanks for the report! Between boats and hurricanes, we Floridians are intensely interested in small portable generators. Does the Mcculloch FG2000TC have the master/slave generator combining feature like the Honda and Yamaha inverter models? Is the Mcculloch engine 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Is any of it American made by any chance?

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

StSimon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
298 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2006 :  10:23:23  Show Profile
Cool... literally.

Be sure to let us know how the AC works out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

raulpou
Navigator

Members Avatar

144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2006 :  11:39:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Leon Sisson</i>
<br />Raul,

Thanks for the report! Between boats and hurricanes, we Floridians are intensely interested in small portable generators. Does the Mcculloch FG2000TC have the master/slave generator combining feature like the Honda and Yamaha inverter models? Is the Mcculloch engine 2-stroke or 4-stroke? Is any of it American made by any chance?

-- Leon Sisson

Being in Florida myself, that is what drove me to get a 2000W model. As for the master/slave combining feature, I don't exactly know what that is, so I would not be sure how to answer. What it does have is the "eco-throttle" which regulates the generator speed to match demand. therefore when the compressor on my fridge would kick in, the generator would throttle up to match the load.

The decision process behind this generator purchase was that I made up my mind that it was not going to be 100% like the Honda. But for under $500 I have a generator that meets my power needs, quiet, efficient, and portable.

As for where it is made, I believe it is made in China with Mcculloch providing the warranty and service.

Hope this helps!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2006 :  14:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Thanks Raul.

As I understand the "master/slave" feature I spoke of, it allows the output of two identical inverter technology generators to be applied to the same load. In other words, if you needed say 3kw but wanted to stick with inverter technology generators such as Honda EU2000i, you could wire two of them together to supply power to a single load which is would otherwise exceed the power output of either generator individually. This works with inverter generators because their output frequency is synthesized. To achieve the same effect with the older/larger constant RPM generators, their crankshafts would have to be connected! (<i>Which would never occur in practice. That's why the parallel output feature is only offered on the new fangled inverter types.</i>)

Why not just buy twice as powerful a conventional constant RPM generator to begin with? There are several possible reasons: <ul><li>There seems to be a maximum practical power output for individual inverter generators. (<i>I haven't seen any advertised over about 4kw, but that will likely change as the technology matures, becomes more affordable, and more popular.</i>)</li>
<li> More powerful constant RPM generators are bigger -- louder, less fuel-efficient, harder to lift, carry, and transport.</li>
<li>In situations where the full output of the combined units isn't required, there's no need to deal with the noise, pollution, inconvenience and operating expense of the larger, more powerful unit. (<i>On a small sailboat for instance...</i>)</li>
<li>Two smaller units can be providing power in two separate locations when their combined output isn't required by a single heavy load.</li>
<li>Two can provide backup capability, although at their individual unit power output.</li>
<li>And last but not least, your Honda salesperson gets twice the commission on a single sale! (<i>I have no current financial connection with Honda Motors or their distribution network.</i>)</li></ul>
-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

raulpou
Navigator

Members Avatar

144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2006 :  16:23:18  Show Profile
Those are great points. I do not know if you can tie them together like you can the Honda, but I guess the answer could be a phone call away!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page