Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 C250 Cabin Sole Carpet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/08/2019 :  15:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Googled a bit, came up dry. Does anyone make a C250 (WB) carpet for cabin sole?

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  08:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a frugal (i.e. cheap) kind of guy, I managed to replace mine every year for $10. I would go to the local carpet store and buy a 12' x 4' remnant of a suitable color. This almost perfectly fit my C25 with minimal cutting.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  09:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea! Do you cut to shape using a template? I was thinking of doing this (since I couldn't find anything online) and just having the edges serged.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  12:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind Derek is speaking about a C-25... The cabin configuration is rather different--the galley and head are in opposite locations and the main bulkhead is at the mast post. But you can measure the maximum length and width and shop for a remnant as he suggests. Then one way to get the shape right is to make a template of several pieces of brown wrapping paper--cutting, folding and taping until it fits. Then turn the carpet and the template upside down to trace... (I know that sounds condescending, but safe is better than sorry. ) Some rubber-backed indoor/outdoor carpeting doesn't really need the edges serged as long as you're willing to pick up a couple of little pieces over the first week or so...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/09/2019 12:27:12
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  13:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carpeting doesn't do well in a boat. When it rains, it gets wet at the companionway, or when things are spilled. If some nasty liquid is spilled, it's ruined. After one season, it's often too musty or moldy or dirty to reuse.

There are soft, plush feeling small, foam backed area rugs designed to use in front of the kitchen sink. I use 2-3 of them. They're inexpensive and easy to replace each year, feel soft and warm on the feet, and can be hung out to dry if they get wet, and they're very non-skid. For me, they're more practical and functional than "wall-to-wall" carpet in a boat. Most sand, dirt, or food crumbs can be shaken out, without using a vacuum cleaner.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  14:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed... Here's my version of that (in our C-25)--a short runner from Home Dopey...

The Persian pattern wasn't very nautical, but...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/09/2019 14:16:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page