Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 new owner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whk1965
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/09/2019 :  08:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just bought our 250WB and have a few problems the biggest being the WB plug does not close and I can not get it off or out any suggestions? Is the size of the CB line 6mm? Is the boat sailed with the CB straight down or with an aft rake, I ask this as the CB on our boat does not go all the way down at the loosest point of the control line? Lastly has anyone removed the bulkheads around the head area, I do not believe they are structural? Thanks in advance for your help Bill #77

Bill Knowles

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  09:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome and congratulations! My only other offering here is that a number of WB owners have reported excessive weather helm that has been (reportedly) corrected by bringing the centerboard back a little, moving the "center of lateral resistance" (CLR) aft. I can't speak to why yours might not go vertical, but apparently that might be best anyway. (You want a little weather helm, but too much causes drag from the rudder and tires the arm.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/09/2019 09:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  23:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a trailer?
Catalina Direct has replacement Water Ballast tank filler valve.
You would have to put it on the trailer to replace it.
There is a rubber gasket that may be missing, causing your tank to not seal.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/hull-deck/keel/water-ballast-fill-valve-assembly-c-250

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 06/09/2019 23:02:57
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  23:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Here's a forum post about replacing the centerboard lifting cable.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31425

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  08:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I remember reading somewhere that in the original design the board was vertical, but that was changed somewhere along the way (don't know what hull number) to have an aft rake at maximum down position. Mine does rake aft and I'm hull 781. I'll also say about the valve that if it's still straight and opens and closes that the gasket is nothing more than closed cell westuit material. I learned that after replacing mine. You can buy my old one cheap if you have a problem with yours. It's in perfect condition, just a worn flattened gasket. :- ) I Could have saved a lot of $$ had I known.

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

whk1965
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  08:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you get the old one out, my handle is frozen on the bolt everything turns but does not go up or down. I will buy yours just have to get the old one out. Thanks Bill

Bill Knowles
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  11:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, others should have their say on this as well... It sounds like the threads are stripped on the handle and/or shaft. Short of cutting it off just above the wing handle bolt (or perhaps under it if there's room) I don't know. On the hull side is it all the way tight? Any play to it?

2004 250WB #781
Go to Top of Page

whk1965
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  19:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to try a few things tomorrow, it will either come off or break we will see. I will let you know.

Bill Knowles
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  19:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in my second year owning a WB C250. Apparently some owners got tired of the "clunking" of the center board when sitting (or sleeping) at the dock and epoxied some spacers to the CB. When the boat is on a trailer, these spacers are at the front edge of the CB next to the hull. When the CB rotates down these spacers rotate up into the trunk, eliminating the clunking. However, at least on my boat, it's a tight fit and I don't believe the CB goes down to vertical (if it ever did). The CB retraction mechanism usually gets stuck, meaning when I am retrieving the boat I have to walk the boat up the boat ramp until the CB starts to drag on the ramp, enough to loosen the spacers and then I can use the block and tackle to raise it all the way. This is a long way of saying if your CB rakes aft a bit your boat may have the CB spacers installed. I have tried sanding mine down a bit but they still get stuck.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  21:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whk1965

How do you get the old one out, my handle is frozen on the bolt everything turns but does not go up or down. I will buy yours just have to get the old one out. Thanks Bill

Bill,
I know your problem, so try this procedure.
Turn the nut and see if the shaft also turns.
There is a anti-rotation strap that has broken loose.
You can use a hacksaw and cut a notch on the top of the shaft.
Use a slotted screwdriver to hold shaft straight, then turn the nut with a wrench.
You will need to be on the trailer to remove and replace the valve.

My earlier link to Catalina Direct did not work.
Please use this one
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-250/hull-deck/keel/water-ballast-fill-valve-assembly-c-250/

The part number is: E1788
In the picture, you can see the strap.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

whk1965
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2019 :  06:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Russ, yes the strap is loose and the pin is missing, The boat is on a work stand now but has to go in soon. Going to try more penetrating oil and some heat on the handle.

Bill Knowles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page