Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Inboard x Outboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JeanAndre
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/29/2011 :  16:17:33  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Who has an inboard C25?
What engine do you have?
Is it saildrive or driveshaft?

Can you post pictures of your inboard?

Cheers

I am Captain ! !
Yelled I to my wife and daughter...

Jean André - St. Louis - MO
1981 C25 SR/SK - OH LALA #2591
1977 C25 TR/FK - CLARICE M. #0042
2011 9.8 Nissan XL shaft
USCG Master, sail and tow endorsements
ASA instructor
Aspiring boat designer (Westlawn)

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2011 :  21:08:37  Show Profile
Why do you ask? (The reason I ask is I can't imagine this being a worthwhile conversion on a C-25. If I wanted an inboard sailboat, I'd buy one.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  05:57:58  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
The reason I ask is because I am a Boat Design student at Westlawn and It would be a great exercise for me to study a conversion from outboard to inboard.

Also I plan on starting a boat restoration and customization business and my C25 is going to be my "show boat"

So I am trying to gatter as much information as I can on the different "models" of C25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  06:59:56  Show Profile
You might try to contact Catalina an dsee if they will tell you the hull numbers that were built with in boards? Then you could maybe search through a database?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  07:59:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JeanAndre</i>
<br />The reason I ask is because I am a Boat Design student at Westlawn and It would be a great exercise for me to study a conversion from outboard to inboard.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

An interesting conversion would be to use one of those powerful electric motors, the Torqeedo. Looks like a super powerful trolling motor. It would be interesting to modify it, mounting the bottom part under the boat, in front of the rudder (think Saildrive) with a very small thru hull for the wiring. You can mount the motor controls anywhere. Put the extra batteries at the base of the companionway, under the cockpit. Additional weight would be similar to an inboard motor.

You could go further and mount up 2 of them (TwinCruise 4.0R) for 15HP.

If I was going to go to the expense and trouble of installing an inboard on my boat, I'd fully explore this possibility as well as a small diesel solution.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  08:56:11  Show Profile
If I was going to convert a C-25 to inboard, electric would be an interesting choice. The only downside would be where to put 48 volts worth of batteries - very expensive, too. An interesting exercise, however. One of the new 44 ft. catamarans has an electric motor and prop in each pontoon, with a diesel motor mounted amidships for battery charging and house electrical needs. I understand that while sailing, the props turn and help recharge the batteries!
Call Frank Butler at Catalina Yachts and explain your plans to him. He might be willing to send you drawings of the inboard design so you can study them. Hey, he might even spring for some scholarship funds!

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/30/2011 08:59:10
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  15:48:08  Show Profile
Great idea and a good subject. The major issue you may face is finding a small enough engine to fit in a C25. They may well have stopped making those engines. I don't recall which Universal Catalina put into the few diesel powered C25s. Could well be a water cooled 5411. www.marinedieseldirect.com has lots of engine information for Universal engines.

Another "challenge" is to do a design where the stuffing box is accessible. I recall the C27 design was notorious for poor access.

The engines put in Catalinas were all traditional shaft and stern tube, no saildrives.

Saildrives are a PITA and a disaster waiting to happen because of the sensitive seals and the galvanic corrosion issues with the materials used in the engines. I believe they are complete cr*p, and dangerous, but some folks (mostly those who have 'em or are stuck with 'em) love them.

You might try a search right here on "diesel" or "diesel engine" and see what pops up. I do remember some threads about them right here.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  19:39:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stu Jackson C34</i>
<br />The engines put in Catalinas were all traditional shaft and stern tube, no saildrives...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">From Bill Holcomb, who was once a Catalina dealer: <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The engines varied from year to year. Earliest options were for an Atomic 4. Then the OMC Saildrive was offered. By the mid '80s the Universal 10hp was the choise.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> I looked for that because I was pretty sure I had been aware of several factory saildrives. The [url="http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7904"]thread that came from[/url] also talked about the difficulties associated with inboards in the C-25, such as access to the engine and stuffing box (for straight shafts). The C-25 is evidently at the very low end of the scale of sailboats that can accommodate an inboard that can be reasonably easily serviced or removed and replaced. On the other hand, I've met one (new) owner who loves his Universal in his C-25... so I'll leave it at that. I certainly understand the advantages for running in a seaway.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/30/2011 19:53:14
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  20:56:34  Show Profile
One of the members here has one of the C25's with an inboard....can't remember offhand who it is, but maybe he'll see this thread and pop in...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dolivaw
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
109 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2011 :  21:55:30  Show Profile
I wish I had taken a pic of the one I saw a couple days ago... It had a hole in the transom with what looked like a short-shaft outboard hanging out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2011 :  04:15:27  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Thanks everybody for their input, it certainly gives a lot to think about.

Yanmar and Volvo both have small 2 cylinder inboards, Yanmar even has a 1 cilinder inboard.

I am pretty sure I may be able to come up with a fairly inexpensive (except for the motor itself) good solution for a conversion kit.

I might even come up with an electric "greener" option, let´s see what happens in the next couple of seasons...

Cheers

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2011 :  06:38:11  Show Profile
One cylinder will shake the boat and make you wish you'd sprung for more.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2011 :  08:16:27  Show Profile
RonH,
Are you sure that wasn'r a C-27. They have a lazarette and that configuration is not uncommon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2011 :  19:21:12  Show Profile
When I was shopping for my C25 the first one I looked at was here in Central Ohio called Miss Teak, and it was a sail drive; and yep, it was an old OMC, 1997 I think on an 81 or 82 C25. While I fell in love with the boat, (who wouldn't? it was a C25), I pass on it because of the saildrive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dolivaw
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
109 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2011 :  00:24:02  Show Profile
I'm not 100% certain, but it looked like a C25. Maybe someone got the idea from the C27. From where I was standing I could see what appeared to be raw, unpainted fiberglass inside the transom, so it looked like a DIY. The hole was roughly 18" square

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lightnsail@aol.com
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2011 :  13:28:51  Show Profile
C-25 with a Universal diesel here. Access is tough though doable. I bought a boat that had sat for like 6 years and I had to sort through lots of issues. The biggest pain was removing a hot water heater and the lines to and from the engine, etc... You can get at everthing you need to as there are access hatches along the quarter berth, below the steps and sink, and from the cockpit hatch. I've replaced the hoses, raw water pump and thermostat and though not pleasant, not a huge challenge either.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kentwm
Navigator

Members Avatar

101 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2011 :  14:47:50  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lightnsail@aol.com</i>
<br />C-25 with a Universal diesel here. Access is tough though doable. I bought a boat that had sat for like 6 years and I had to sort through lots of issues. The biggest pain was removing a hot water heater and the lines to and from the engine, etc... You can get at everthing you need to as there are access hatches along the quarter berth, below the steps and sink, and from the cockpit hatch. I've replaced the hoses, raw water pump and thermostat and though not pleasant, not a huge challenge either.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Any chance you can post pictures... it would be interesting to see how much space the inboard engine takes up compared to my outboard configuration.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  11:28:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lightnsail@aol.com</i>
<br />C-25 with a Universal diesel here. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What Universal engine is it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kip C
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
243 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  12:39:18  Show Profile
JeanAndre,

If you'd like, I can try to get some pictures of our inboard in the next day or 2. We have a factory installed Universal M2-12 engine, Hirth transmission with 1 ' driveshaft in our 1990. It is a 2 cylinder that developes 11hp with 25 cubic inches. The other or probably earlier model engine to ours that Catalina installed was the M-12, a 10 hp. The difference between the two is 1 whole cubic inch. I don't remember where i got this, but for some reason around 50 sticks in my head regarding the number of factory installed inboards. If there's anything else I can help with let me know.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2011 :  18:23:43  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Hi Kip C,
It would be great to see pictures of your installation, it will help me a lot.
If it is hard to post here you can email me: jean@jeanandre.com.br
Thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:10:24  Show Profile
Please post them here too so we can all see them. I'd like to see how an inboard sits in there. That's probably why the aft quarterberth has that extra long, narrow cushion. That, and access to the volcano.

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/06/2011 12:12:30
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:56:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />...That's probably why the aft quarterberth has that extra long, narrow cushion.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That, or it might be almost impossible to get a full-width cushion into the berth with the companionway steps in place.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JAB
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2011 :  19:15:32  Show Profile
Like Kip C above, my C-25 from 1986 has a factory-installed Universal. It's the M-12. Sorry no pix.
As far as accessibility, there's a plywood panel the length of the starboard quarterberth with two slide-out access ports, each about 1 x 2 ft, for viewing the dipstick and the stuffing box.

The port side is accessed by removing panels from inside the dumpster. Rarely done since you can reach just about everything from starboard side.

At the forward end, another plywood panel with hinged door (like under the sink in the head) sits flush with the front of the cockpit. Through-hull for raw-water intake is under companionway steps, just forward of the panel.

We like the diesel...it just goes and goes for hours when needed and sips fuel. Always there for quick starts at a moment's notice. Yeah, for maintenance/service you've got to unscrew a couple of panels for complete access, but it's no biggie.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lightnsail@aol.com
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2011 :  16:35:03  Show Profile
Hey, if you asked a few weeks ago I would have been happy to shoot pics as all access points, cushions, etc. were removed. Now that there are "0" engine issues I'm just happy to go sailing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
PO added Volvo Diesel 10hp with saildrive.
Also you can view the sugar scoop stern extension. The boat was then painted.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:42:17  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Tomas,
Thank you.
I really like your boat and these pictures will help me a lot!!!
Happy sailing!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page