Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 halyard issues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frants
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2011 :  21:07:39  Show Profile  Visit frants's Homepage
well,here we go again. the genoa halyard is stuck on top of the mast after working on it last fall and missing out on a lot of sailing time. is there a better solution to the halyard system up there? I am thinking about adding a good quality block for the jib / genoa - next to the spinnaker block.
also does anyone know the length of the geonoa halyard ...to the cockpit? 70 feet or so? and...the boat is for sale!

Edited by - on

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2011 :  05:05:27  Show Profile
We just installed a 75' halyard for our tall rig main - adequate . . . but you'll need slightly longer for the foresail. We'll go 80' when the time comes. You can always shorten it . . .

We also went to ball bearing sheaves from CD. Nice inprovement.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2011 :  11:18:46  Show Profile
Tall rig mast 30', forestay 31', base of mast to cockpit 10', cushion 4', equals 75' - should be sufficient.
Change out the sheaves. Line is important. avoid Sta-SetX, good line and low stretch but too stiff. Do an ebay search for XLE line.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2011 :  19:38:46  Show Profile
Dropping a mast and replacing the sheaves at the mast head is trivial. The masthead system is flawless and does not need to be re-engineered. Sorry you didn't get it fixed last time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2011 :  13:29:21  Show Profile
You didn't say.. is your halyard wire-to-rope or all rope? If it is stuck at the top of the mast, I'm guessing the former, and it is the wire that came off the sheave and got jammed up there. Happened to me with the main halyard. If that is the case, I urge you to get the sheave replacement kit from CD, buy all rope halyards, drop the mast and change out the sheaves and halyards. You won't regret the change.

Edited by - dmpilc on 08/01/2011 13:33:17
Go to Top of Page

frants
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2011 :  09:48:39  Show Profile  Visit frants's Homepage
Thank you for all your replies... the halyard is wire to rope.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2011 :  11:40:21  Show Profile
I'll second the jammed wire diagnosis. All-rope solves that and has other advantages, but needs new, wider sheaves. Your original sheaves are likely sun-damaged anyway. Also, assuming you have external halyards (pre-'89 I think), there should be an aluminum plate between the adjacent sheaves, to prevent "jumping" and fill some of the space.

(It would help to see your year, rig and keel with your questions--you can automate that by putting them in the Signature in your Profile.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2011 :  08:41:07  Show Profile
The sheave change-out is easy, preferably with the boat on dry land. 5/16" line works well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2011 :  09:47:13  Show Profile
5/16 is a great size, I used 1/4 and they were not friendly to the hands.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2011 :  18:04:27  Show Profile
I have 1/4 on the main and 5/16 on the jib, and it is surprising how much less uncomfortable the 5/16 is.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2011 :  05:59:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave5041</i>
<br />I have 1/4 on the main and 5/16 on the jib, and it is surprising how much less uncomfortable the 5/16 is.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I use 5/16 for jib and Spinnaker halyards, and 3/8 for the main. The 3/8 makes it a LOT easier on my old hands. I used to also use 3/8 on the spinnaker halyard, but I found the exit and fairlead blocks were skinning the cover over time, so went back to the 5/16 on the spinnaker. I notice the difference in hauling on the 5/16 vs 3/8, but its not a huge difference. I agree the 5/16 is a really good size, and anything smaller is just too hard on the hands IMHO.....

Cheers!

Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:33:01  Show Profile
I just looked up the bills for the halyards I bought a few years ago. I bought 78' for both, jib led aft to the cockpit, main cleated at the mast intending to lead aft. I have about a 3-4' tail on the jib halyard with the shackle secured at the bow pulpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page