Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Inboard x Outboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KeziCat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
28 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  14:08:43  Show Profile
Wow! what a nice job on the mods to Tomas' C-25. All well beyond my ambiton level but never let anyone say I can't be done.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  19:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Tomas;

That sure is an interesting modification to the stern area. It doesn't look as though much of that extension is below the waterline, to add buoyancy to offset the mass of the motor, although shifting both the fuel tank and motor forward may have obviated the need. However, I'll bet that extended tail helps reduce fore-and-aft pitching in a short chop. I don't imagine you've had the chance to sail alongside another C-25 in choppy conditions to see if there's a difference? Ironically, the one problem the rest of us have that that extension might help with has been entirely eliminated by the saildrive. I'd be curious why, after investing so much expense/effort, especially after having done it with obvious care, the PO sold it. Oh, well; you're the lucky beneficiary of his/her decision. You've got quite a conversation-piece there. If there's ever a European gathering of Jaguar 25 owners (I would expect that at least a few Jaguars made it across the channel to owners around the Continent), they'll really enjoy checking out your modified C-25.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  20:18:56  Show Profile
When heeling, that overhang could add over a foot to the waterline length, increasing the hull-speed just as the classic Herreshoff and S&S designs do. Naturally, that makes the boat class-illegal and invalidates the PHRF rating for a C-25, but who cares?

I, too, wonder about investing that much effort and/or money to modify a C-25 hull instead of buying... let's say, a C-28. The risk is when you want to sell it, it's still just a C-25. (Although in Europe, who knows?? )

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:35:05  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
IMHO the modifications you do to a boat are just like installing a better stereo or a nice set of rims to a car, although they don´t add value to it they sure make it nicer to the eye of the beholder.

Many may think it´s crazy to invest money in a 64 camaro or mustang... Well to each their fetishes, right?

Lee, does your boat also have a sugar scoop? Or an inboard??

Cheers

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2011 :  00:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Yes, PO made a huge investments into this boat, but you have to take in mind, that this boat was moved from US to Europe in 1995 and the boat market that days was very very poor here.
Not to mention the communists era till 1990, when the only possibility to get a boat was to build it by yourself !!
So everyone wanted to tune up their boats as much as possible.
It was not easy to buy something affordable bigger than 25" that time.

Also I think that this suggar scoop extensions was very fancy that days in one specific area. I can still see many boats here with it.

Today its different I think, I can see many new boats here, especially from Poland. Also we don't have big water areas so the majority of the boats here are trailerable 20 - 25".

Regarding the floating performance, I cannot judge because I don't know any other Jaguar 25 or C25 here.
From the pictures of the other C25s I think that my stern sits lower in the water then the original C25. I think that inboard diesel plus the stern extension is pretty heavy.

I don't race it, its mainly cruiser and all these extensions makes it even better. My wife loves to sit there with the legs in the water

I still think that C25 is a really good boat, I wish its still production, C250 is a strange design for me, I miss that sidewalks around the cockpit.

PS: PO sold it, because he wanted bigger boat, he bought something around 30" from UK (I don't remember).

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 07/12/2011 06:14:51
Go to Top of Page

bradminda
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2011 :  09:24:03  Show Profile
I have an inboard saildrive. It is a volvo penta MB25/50. It is old and getting hard to find impellers but works great. Sorry no pictures. any questions you may contact me if you wish.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2011 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Getting back to the topic of this thread, I got curious and Google'd "Jaguar 25" and looked around a little. What I found, JeanAndre, is that a large number of Jags are inboard models. There's a lot of info about how well they work, as well as technical info about the motors and the installations. There's even a forum discussion about converting from outboard to inboard, and there are lots of contacts you could check with about this. I think you'll find it very interesting. Good luck with your project.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  08:07:59  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the Jaguar 25 google tip. Lots of good stuff there.

Cheers

Jean

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  10:43:08  Show Profile
The pics in this Jaguar 25 ad are very interesting. Good shots of the twin keel set-up and an interesting cabin arrangement - L shaped dinette but the table comes out from the bulkhead and the bottom of the "L" is next to the galley:
http://search.boatshop24.co.uk/morepictures.asp?btsrefno=24922690

And a good shot of the inboard motor.

Edited by - dmpilc on 08/08/2011 10:45:17
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2011 :  11:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Here is the Jaguar 25 community site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JaguarYacht/

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

treeder65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
50 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2011 :  18:51:01  Show Profile  Visit treeder65's Homepage
I have a 1986 with an 11hp Universal. I'm on vacation right now. I really wish I had it down here in Bald Head Island. Nothing but wind this week.

I'll get some pix as soon as I get home next week. I still have mine apart and it will be easy to get pix.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

captck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:06:36  Show Profile
[quote]<i>Originally posted by JeanAndre</i>
<br />Who has an inboard C25?
What engine do you have?
Is it saildrive or driveshaft?

Can you post pictures of your inboard?

Cheers

I have diagram of inboard for C25 don't know how to attach pix here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JeanAndre
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
224 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:32:53  Show Profile  Visit JeanAndre's Homepage
Hi Captck,

can you please send your diagram to my email: jean (at) jeanandre.com.br

Thank you

Jean

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page