Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Replacement boom gooseneck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmadd
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/01/2022 :  18:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another early Capri 25 problem. My gooseneck is shot. Catalina Direct has a replacement gooseneck but it only fits the later boats that have a single tab on the boom end extrusion. Mine has two tabs that fit over the mast pivot - that's the picture. Anyone dealt with this problem and come up with a solution? The rotation pin had nearly pulled out of the retainer.

LT_Smash
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
15 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2022 :  14:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jmadd,

We had the same problem. Several weeks in a row we were hammering the two tabs back into shape on the way to the start line.

I ended up taking a piece of aluminium flat stock, about 1" wide and 6 inches long, and bending it into a U-shape that fit snugly around the vertical pin and the bit of the boom it fits into, then drilled holes so the horizontal pin held the aluminium band tightly in place. It's held together for over a year now with no issues.

if you want a sketch PM me your email and I'll send one, or a photo.

Edited by - LT_Smash on 11/10/2022 10:01:02
Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2023 :  19:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the offer Smash. I ended up being fortunate enough to get the original fitting built-up with aluminum weld then a friend machined it clean again. So far so good. Long story, but the welder lost the part for a while and before he found it we'd machined a part out of acetal plastic that would fit into the mast slide that is used on other Capris. I think that would have worked, and when we tweaked the design we were going to machine it out of aluminum. But just as I was fitting the acetal part the welder found the original gooseneck. This was part of a months long repaint the deck project. The boat just got back in the water a little over a month ago. Photos of that prototype.

Go to Top of Page

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2023 :  19:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I can't resist adding the pictures of the repaint.
Before (prep)

After

With more than a little help from my friends, especially Fred at America's Favorite Boat Shop http://schrothfiberglass.com/
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2023 :  19:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job! Looks great!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page