The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.
This winters project is to add pressure water to the galley sink and replace the original water tubing which is pretty bad. I was getting that started today and when trying to remove the old tubing the water tank broke free. It appears what Catalina did was secure the tank to a plywood mount and I'm guessing epoxied that to the top of the water ballast tanks so it didn't move. Being wood I'm guessing that the bottom layer that was epoxied has rotted or separated itself in some fashion (see pictures). So now I need to resecure the tank in some fashion so I don't have it sliding/flying around down there when sailing. Any thoughts for me on how to resecure it? My initial thought is to put a couple of through bolted pad eyes from below the table and use a ratchet strap or something like that.
Hi Kemp. The tank on "Mariah", was held in place without a wooden frame but solidly siliconed and embedded directly to the floor on all four sides. It was pressed, by the looks of it, into a deep beat of flexible caulking which had bonded well to the fiberglass and tank and formed a 1/2" or so ridge on the perimeter making it hard to pry the tank loose. A ridge of still flexible caulking surrounded the tank, holding it firmly in place.
No additional fasteners were observed. No mold was observed below the tank either. A closer observation showed that the (Factory?) penciled in a line to show the outline of the tank and where to place the caulking.
We removed the tank in order to relocate a new, smaller tank, behind the wet locker and installed an electrical 12v on demand in line pump to the galley and did not change the manual pump in the head.
Thanks! I'll have to climb into the Lazarette to get to the tank to cut off the old hose and that will give me a better view of how it was bonded. Perhaps I will do something like flexible calk but I need a closer inspection. Always interesting how every boat project I undertake expands in scope and money LOL. Hopefully Russ will respond as well how his was done as his boat is very close in hull numbers to mine and I'd like to know what was done on his boat.
Yes... there are lots of ways to install tanks or bladders
If, doing it again, one might want to consider flexible bladder tanks. They are inexpensive, seem easy to install and/or remove and are available in a variety of sizes and shapes.
A similar pump to what we used is available at Amazon. The only restriction is that the pump must be installed below the water level of the tank. This, to avoid leaks, is not a pressurized system but water is supplied on demand and works good with the original manual pump in the head
... Always interesting how every boat project I undertake expands in scope and money LOL.
Hopefully Russ will respond as well how his was done as his boat is very close in hull numbers to mine and I'd like to know what was done on his boat.
Kemp, it's nice to hear from you again. So, this is a test to see if I read your posts?
I also have the water tank plywood platform. I haven't checked how well it is secured, so I might have the same problem. The water tank is on top of the ballast tank, so can't screw anything down. If the damage it's too bad, were you thinking of using epoxy to secure the wood frame?
Russ, I was thinking epoxy, but I am starting to think some kind of adhesive (not 5200 LOL). Calling Catalina tech support is probably a good idea so I'll do that next week, though I'm afraid they'll say "whatever adhesive they had on the production floor". Having now successfully been under the floor and replaced the tubing I can see the original adhesive was like black. Makes me wonder if it was the same as the hatch gasket adhesive. It made some ridges that capture the wood frame so it wouldn't move. Still a little cold here to finish the project but it's supposed to warm up this week.
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ. The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.