Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Jacking boat up for bottom work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/29/2023 :  08:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello -

We are about to wrap up Mariah’s first season on Utah Lake and I’m starting to think about giving her a new coat of bottom paint, and associated issues.

I found a YouTube video of a gentleman who demonstrates a method for jacking up his C22 from the trailer. (https://youtu.be/MhThLhXTfvE?si=VBvOWAYL3c0wbgxc) It’s intriguing to me, but I wonder how my 250 (WB, if that makes a difference) would do with its greater length and being supported only at the bow and stern. Thoughts?

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
1996 Catalina 250 WB #191 "Mariah"

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2023 :  10:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a slightly different approach with my C22 that was much more stable and supported the boat better. First, I sanded as much of the bottom as I could while the boat was on the trailer. Then I jacked up the trailer, with the boat on it, and placed concrete blocks under the trailer to support it. Then I built a simple cradle underneath it and lowered the trailer until the boat rested on the cradle. Then I lowered the trailer until the trailer bunks were 8-10" below the boat's hull. That was enough space to get a paint roller between them and paint the bottom. I painted the whole bottom, except where it rested on the cradle. Then I raised the trailer under the boat, disassembled the cradle, and lowered the boat and trailer to the ground. Finally, I painted the areas where the boat rested on the cradle.

If you'll look at any boat cradle for a similarly sized sailboat, I generally followed the same design, with angle braces at the four corners. IIRC (because I did this 50 years ago) I used 4X4s for the uprights, 2X8s to brace the uprights and tie them together, and long 2X8s longitudinally, for the bunks on which the hull rested.

It took about 3 hours to jack up the trailer and build the cradle under it and only about 45 minutes to take it down. I assembled the cradle mostly with 3/8" bolts, so I could re-assemble it if needed in the future. I did not construct the cradle before jacking up the trailer. I built it in place, because I didn't know how high I needed to build it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/29/2023 10:55:16
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2023 :  14:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks so much for your reply and experience. Doing a forum search for similar issues, I gather that most folks jack the boat up but don't pull the trailer completely out from under the boat, as the YouTuber I noticed above does. Do you find working around the trailer as you paint the bottom to be a significant inconvenience?

(We hauled out last Saturday and the bottom still looks great, so I may delay that new coat of paint for another year; but am still trying to gather as much info as I can!)

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
1996 Catalina 250 WB #191 "Mariah"
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2023 :  14:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the best way to share a photo? I did this two years ago Jim. I'm up here in Midway, sail on DC and Jordanelle. I built two frames out of 6x6, tied them all together. The beams were just in front of the keel slot and just behind. I was worried about cracking or popping the water ballast tank but there were no issues. I had to lift mine to fix the keel pennant, turning ball, etc. I shimmed the keel while I was at it. Can post photos if someone can tell me how to do it. I can't get the instructions from the General Discussion to work.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2023 :  14:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doublereefed

What's the best way to share a photo? I did this two years ago Jim. I'm up here in Midway, sail on DC and Jordanelle. I built two frames out of 6x6, tied them all together. The beams were just in front of the keel slot and just behind. I was worried about cracking or popping the water ballast tank but there were no issues. I had to lift mine to fix the keel pennant, turning ball, etc. I shimmed the keel while I was at it. Can post photos if someone can tell me how to do it. I can't get the instructions from the General Discussion to work.

And... should have mentioned... had a crane lift my boat off the trailer onto the rack. Round trip was $500.00.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2023 :  10:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crystal_blue

I gather that most folks jack the boat up but don't pull the trailer completely out from under the boat, as the YouTuber I noticed above does. Do you find working around the trailer as you paint the bottom to be a significant inconvenience?

When I was in my 60s and 70s I could crawl under, but in my 80s I put a paint roller on a telescoping paint extension pole and do most of the painting standing up. I rarely have to do any sanding. I only apply one coat of ablative paint per year, and the only prep that's needed is to wash the bottom. With just one coat, the ablative paint doesn't accumulate and doesn't peel. It just gradually erodes.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page