Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 October Sailing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/16/2023 :  06:24:30  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought I would share a picture from yesterday's sail. It was a cool, blustery, October day. Working jib and a double reef in the main. Squeezing in those end of season sails whenever possible.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2023 :  08:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuttin better than late fall sailing !

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2023 :  20:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David, I wish I was there.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2023 :  14:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those clouds look like October--I'm guessing you had the mainsheet in hand much of the time!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2023 :  15:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sailed on a friend's boat yesterday - his last sail before he winterizes it. It was blustery and a great sail! October is hard to beat for thrills

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2023 :  11:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a fun adventure yesterday. As I headed out of the mouth of the river, it was a full high tide. There were light SSWerly winds and temps were upper 60°s. In a little while, the winds picked up above 10-12kts which developed some fetch, and waves began to build. We were able to sail out about 5 miles to a favorite beach behind a breakwall. Dropped anchor, opened our lunches and dropped a fishing line in for kicks.
We sailed back to weather which was really fast and a little wet with the building wind. By the time we made it back to the mouth of the river, the outgoing tide was running at full speed, about 2 knots. It was wind against tide there and the chop was horrendous over the course of 3/4 of a mile. It was like getting waked by a 50ft cruiser continuously for 20 minutes. The boat was rolling and yawing wildly up, down, to port, to starboard, and we had to dodge the buoys with each passing breaking wave. I hunkered down on the cockpit floor holding the tiller steering on each wave while my crew held on down below catching flying objects in the cabin.

We realized that we had two choices going into this: either run the gauntlet and take our whippin’ on the river or ditch up to the next harbor and find an open mooring for the night. We decided to press on and get back to our cars at the marina. I heard some weird sounds coming from the tiller, the rudder, the outboard, and the pintles and gudgeons. But press on we did. At one point the paddle knotmeter was reading 5.6 knots but the GPS was reading 3 knots over ground. We were swinging and swaying as we made it through the chop zone. Whew!

We finally got back into the marina channel out of the current, and thankfully the waves calmed down and the winds were largely blocked by the trees and bulkhead.
We had a laugh over a beer and a good story to tell another day!

Good to know that the boat can take a lot more abuse than we can.

Edited by - Voyager on 10/20/2023 11:56:21
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2023 :  17:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost hauled out last weekend, glad that the weather was rainy! This week we are expecting high 60°s and low 70°s. I’m delighted that I’ll get another week to sail (at least!)

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2023 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather in the Midwest ( Nebraska ) is up and down this time of the year.
But as everywhere, the water is going only one direction. DOWN.
Our lake has been dropping the hole summer. It’s now down 3 1/2’.
That’s a lot of water gone. So it’s making it hard to take out some of the boats.
But when ones on the water, with a good wind, all that doesn’t matter,
it’s just you, the boat and the wind. We all have stories, and memories.
Thanks for sharing theses.
Now does anyone know of a good crane company, I need to get
the boat out of the Nebr. mud. !
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2023 :  21:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch! The US Midwest drought has been tough on everything and everyone. According to many meteorologists, the traditional 100° W latitude “dry line” has moved several hundred miles east of late. Whether it’s permanent or temporary only time will tell. But it’s affecting farming as only more drought-resistant crops will grow, and boat travel and navigation on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers have been made more difficult. Your lake is experiencing the same fate as Nebraska has traditionally been relatively dry, however this dry spell has made things worse. Hopefully, the upcoming El Niño may help.
I’m assuming that you have a trailer to retrieve your boat? Or is there a travel lift at your marina?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/24/2023 21:38:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page